Best camp meal?

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
When we're too busy to get out for expeditions, we like to play the "so what was your favorite camp meal" game.

Jonathan just sent me the description of the Expedition Exchange's "Iron Chef" competition, and so that got me to thinking....about what our all-time favorite camp meal was.

For us, even taking into account the fancy meals we got from a camp chef in Tanzania and some seriously over-planned meals like Thanksgiving in Seriland on the Sonoran coast of the Sea of Cortez - it always comes back to this meal:

It was 1989. We stopped at the Puerto Penasco fisherman's market on the way to camp, which was about 15 miles west of the last habitation, on a nice deserted stretch of Sea of Cortez beach. We bought still-twitching-fresh cabrilla (sea bass - I think it was $4 for a couple pounds), limes, lots of Tecate. In camp, 20 minutes brought up a hot bed of coals, we put down the grill grate we had hastily picked up off our Weber at home, and slapped on that inch-thick cabrilla steak. You can hear the sizzle. Off it comes, onto the plates, drenched in lime.....and consumed with icy cold beers in hand as the sun dropped over the sea. I have no idea if we had any side dishes or what - we just have never had such fantastic fish, or few meals to top it.

:campfire: What is YOUR all-time favorite camp meal? :chowtime:

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Boy, that would have to be a recent Norcal Land Cruiser trip:

Chips n' salsa, Shredded beef carnitas w/ guacomole & salsa on warmed tortilla bread. Grilled vegetables, bbq chicken sandwiches, marinated short ribs. A couple great cabernets...
and dutch oven, made from scratch peach cobbler w/ ice cream

then there was the second night.... :chowtime: :beer: :beer:

bh4rnnr

Adventurer
Well right now its: Grilled Salmon with spanish rice and broccoli. Topped with a fine ale. Seeing how the last two times i've had it camping was in the fall during or "Outlaws Run" to the desert, the brew has been Breckenridges "Fall Brew". Good stuff.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
When I'm backpacking, my fave meal is Mountain House rice and chicken. Very filling :lurk:
Car camping with the family, I would have to say grilled brats, ore grilled salmon.
Or in the spring while backpacking or car camping there is always fresh caught trout-grilled with butter and lemon pepper and fresh new ferns-slightly boiled with a little butter and salt. MMMMMM
Have you ever tried new ferns, while they are stilled curled up that is? Very tasty. After they open they get bitter.
:campfire:

Scott Brady

Founder
Ooooh, my favorite subject... :chowtime:

I would have to say it was the dinner Brian (Goodtimes), Brittan and I did on 3 feet of snow on the top of Mingus mountain. Ribeye steaks, cornbread, salad and a few other things. It was just such a fun day (90' winch pulls, deep snow, mud, ice, beautiful views, etc.) and then a great meal.

After that, we climbed in the Jumping Jack Trailer (parked and 2' of snow and ice) and slept like babies.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
My favorite is the one that Scott cooks (in fact, the rib-eyes previously mentioned were up there). Speaking of that trip....was that last trail we did (where we had to break virgin snow), was that just cool or what!

Back to food....I'm pretty handy with a wrench, but for the safety and welfare of all parties within 100 feet, it is best to keep me out of the kitchen.

GeoRoss

Adventurer
You guys aren't going to be too impressed, but when I'm working I am pretty happy with a can of soup or chili out of the can; quicker clean up :jump: and a couple of beers or a good scotch.

I have to get more creative when with the family. Hotdogs cooked over a fire are always a big hit with my two daughters. I hate clean-up with the fancier meals though I sure do like eating them ;).

Ross

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I am kinda in the same boat as Ross, I always like to make it easy for the clean up factor, but I do love the steak for dinner with baked potatoes cooked on the hot coals served with fresh asparagus tips.......And of course plenty of beer to wash it down. :chowtime:

And for breakfast nothing beats a couple of eggs with bacon and hash browns. And of course I gotta have some coffee.

Lunch is usually just a sandwich of some sort. Served with a good side of chips....... And a beer.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
My mess kit includes TWO french presses :jumping: :coffee:

WOW!!!! Now that is fancy campin'! French presses? When out camping I will settle for instant. Of course that will not fly at home, but for roughing it it works. I know, this is sounding bad for for a former fine dining restaurant manager. If any of my chefs see this I am toast. No pun intended:eek:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

How about.....how creative can you get when you are almost out of food!

On the last night of camping one trip......I had some steak left but nothing really to go with it!

But THEN! ........."Steak Spaghetti"......was Born! Yummers! :chowtime:

I thought I would ad some views of my best breakfast spot ever! (I hope that's OK) ....these 3 pics give about a 180* view. I felt like I could hear sounds of nature for miles!

Way back in on the Broken Arrow Trail, Sedona, Arizona.....at 7am on a beautiful April 2005 morning!

Attachments

• BABreakfastStpot04.jpg
    BABreakfastStpot04.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 82
  • BABreakfastSpot03.jpg
    BABreakfastSpot03.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 72
  • BATrailBreakfastSpot.jpg
    BATrailBreakfastSpot.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited by a moderator:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
On my last camp trip, ten days in southern NM a few weesk ago, pretty much every breakfast and every dinner was some sort of game meat (usually elk) with fried potatoes in a burro. Of course, each meal had lots of roasted green chili from Hatch NM in it! When your not sure you can feel your mouth after you eat, then you've put enough chili in. :exclaim: This all must get washed down with several Tecates with lime of course. :victory:

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
One must start the day with fresh brewed coffee & Bailey's & cap the day with Hornitas, inbetween a nice marinated, grilled pork tenderloin. :coffee:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Anybody HUNGRY>?!!

This was a really good topic..............

so trying to revive it before it gets lost!

..............bump! :chowtime:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles