Mitsubishi FG 4wd cab over

Scott Brady

Founder
Mitsubishi FG

I have always been interested in the high GVW cab over expedition platforms. Mostly because I would have no limit (relatively) to the amount of gear I could take :p

FG.jpg

The one I find most appealing is the Mitsu FG, which has a dual speed transfer case, very reliable diesel motor (with 5 year, 175,000 mile warranty), and can be converted to SWR.

here is a nice example:
awning_view1.jpg

A link to their website:

A camper conversion company

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
There's a rig built in Oz that is used commonly with mining companies but can be outfitted for expeditions as well. Not a great RTI but is tough looking and is made to be repaired by local materials regardless of location. I'll try and dig up the info.

Attachments

• 3741.jpg
    3741.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 0

Scott Brady

Founder
Yeah, the FG is more of an uninproved "road" solution, than a trail solution. The greatest assets are high GVW, good economy (for the size), and reliability/durability.

If you wanted to build a motorhome for off-highway use, that would make for a great solution...

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 2

VikingVince

Explorer
Does anyone know the approximate cost of the Mitsu FG 4x4? (just the cab and chassis) ...just spent an hour searching the web for the price on a new one and am frustrated...thanks

Doin_It

Adventurer
Try looking in, truckpaper.com from the main page at the bottom just do a search for a Mitsubishi Fuso, there were like 300 Fuso's listed, I didn't go through all 12 pages to see if any of them were 4x4, I'm sure there has got to be at least a couple since they are the only mid size 4x4 cab over in North America. I also searched for Unimog, and there are some brand new '03's that have never been titled. I guess we've not taken a liking to them here like the are in Europe. Wouldn't want to be that dealer, lot's of cash tied up in a truck thats rotting right on my lot from lack of use.

Scott Brady

Founder
gjackson said:
Saw one of these in Moab at the Jeep Safari last weekend. Cool looking rig.

cheers

I have never seen the 4WD model in person. Was the Jeep Safari any better this year (i.e.- has the drunken, trail destroying masses subsided any?)

gjackson

FRGS
I avoided the trails like the plague!! Actually I was in town to redeem a free stay at the Sorrel River Ranch that I won at a Land Rover event 'cause my truck was voted coolest rig. I honestly didn't think about Easter Jeep until we pulled into town and saw the banner over the road. Many, many cool rigs there though. Lots of FJ Cruisers and I counted 8 Sportsmobiles on Saturday alone. Earth Roamer was there as well.

But we opted to go to Arches instead of getting involved in the traffic jams on the trails. Sometimes it's cool to just be a tourist! :)

cheers

HINO SG

Adventurer
FG 4x4

yeah, ruf seems to have done thier homework but it would be interesting to hear them justify the price tag; cab&chassis is probably under $40k with any kind of wholesale discount, so...?

who knows, though.

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Pretty cool stuff but $150,000...

$150,000 is a lot of money, but consider that the earthroamer is $200,000-230,000 and a fully equiped 4x4 Sportsmobile is approx $95,000. The cost of the high quality hardware (electronics, diesel heaters, european spec windows and doors etc) adds up really fast. Factor in the amount of custom work and the extremely low volume production and I think it is a reasonable price.
Could you build one yourself for less? Maybe if you have the skills and tools required and if you have a few years to spare testing and refining it.

Compared to a Unicat or other high end European camper it is cheap!

Now for a cheaper option that has been proven over thousands of kilometers:

17d8e0a0.jpg

Carl Hunter from Vancouver, BC mounted a Bigfoot trailer on the back of his Fuso. See the following link for more info and photos:
http://www.expeditioncampers.com/bigfoot.html

Carl's "Bigfoot" is a great idea, although it has been done before:
normal_IMG_0073.JPG

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
Gold Boy said:
My wife and I are currently planning on doing the same - subject to funding! :)
Hi Gold Boy;
Do you know Carl Hunter? He lives in West Vancouver, I can provide contact info if you need. If you are planning to go this route, it would really be great to have his input first. Are you thinking of towing the Landcruiser with the Mitsu? Is the Toyota a RHD import from Japan? - if so I would be interested in more details
Cheers
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier