Interco Tires

Dave

Explorer
They worked well when I had them on my XJ. Noise, wear, and on-road handling were worse then a traditional A/T but they were a decent compromise with an offroad lean.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Do a search for them at www.colorado4x4.org as they are the largest concentration of people using them that I am aware of.

Sumary from what I've read is they are mediocre on road, last about 30,000 miles (average meaning some people get much longer or shorter life), awesome in rain and snow, excellent on the trail in all conditions but not the best pure mud tire. Heavy.

There have been a number of reports of blowouts on the highway in larger sizes under heavier vehicles and Interco doesn't want to do anything about it because it is an off road tire.

Overall most people agree that the are a very good tire at a very reasonable price. My next set will probably either be the TrXus, Maxxis Bighorn or Terra Grapplers. My only real concern with the Intercos is the tread life.

FJ Cruiser

Adventurer
bigreen505 said:
Do a search for them at www.colorado4x4.org as they are the largest concentration of people using them that I am aware of.

Sumary from what I've read is they are mediocre on road, last about 30,000 miles (average meaning some people get much longer or shorter life), awesome in rain and snow, excellent on the trail in all conditions but not the best pure mud tire. Heavy.

There have been a number of reports of blowouts on the highway in larger sizes under heavier vehicles and Interco doesn't want to do anything about it because it is an off road tire.

Overall most people agree that the are a very good tire at a very reasonable price. My next set will probably either be the TrXus, Maxxis Bighorn or Terra Grapplers. My only real concern with the Intercos is the tread life.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to be using these tires on steel wheels only when I go on trips and swap back to the factory set for daily driving.

crawldit

Adventurer
I had the 34x12.5x15 on my last rig. I thought that they were an amazing tire. Very quite on the road with great street manners and they were even better offroad. Mine had about 30k miles on them when I traded in the Jeep for my new Rubi and they had close to half tread left (a little less than). I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. Much much better tire than my current MTR's. I think that the MTR's are a better rock tire but overall the Trxus take the top the spot.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Back East i ran both the Interco Swamper SX's (in the rocks) and the Interco Boggers (for everything else). They were both as bulletproof of a tire as one could want and in the 2 years i ran them both i NEVER ripped a sidewall.

Sorry this doesnt answer your direct question, but its a thumbs up for Intercos durability in the rough!

Colorado Ron

Explorer
I like them. I would also take any info you get from Colorado4x4.org with a grain of salt. Most of them on there have very little offroad expierience. Most of their exp comes from reading.

I have a set on the pinz. They work gret so far. Road noise isnt as bad as I thought. I dont have many miles on them yet, so not sure on tread life. They have a load rating of E and are a 10ply tire, so Im not sure why people are saying they blow out on the highway. Never seen a problem with that. They also have a 3 ply sidewall. If I had to buy another tire today--Id buy same set.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Colorado Ron said:
I would also take any info you get from Colorado4x4.org with a grain of salt. Most of them on there have very little offroad expierience. Most of their exp comes from reading.

Well that explains a lot. I just made the assumption that the vast majority of them are rock crawlers and had vastly different priorities than I (the first being able to run 10 rated trails and the second being looking really cool).

Sorry, spelling doesn't seem to be my strong suit today.

Last edited:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
There's someone on this board who may or may not chime in with whom I've shared many an offroad experience and they perform AMAZING and stuck like gum on asphalt for the first 10k miles, and by proxy knowledge, very quickly wear and harden. If you use them solely for off-road I think they are very good, but from what I know/have seen are not the best option for an all-position (road) tire.

I wish I had firsthand experience, sorry can't help you any more than that.

rgsiii

Observer
I had a pair of Trxus's and like them in off road situations. With steel rims, they are very heavy--my fuel economy and perfomance improved when I went to alloy. I currently have a pair on alloys that will only be used to wheel.

They wore poorly and were hard to balance. I like them, but they are not without faults.

FJ Cruiser

Adventurer
Thanks for all the great insight regarding the tires. After thinking about it, I may end up with something like these from American Racing since alloy's will be much lighter.

m3981.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz