Headlamps anyone?

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Has anyone really used some of the new LED and hybrid LED/incandescent headlamps? Not just tried them out at the store, but really put them to work.
I am considering them to free up my hands while at a campsite, looking around the Cruiser in the dark, etc. But do they really offer significant advantages?
Your thoughts? Pros and cons?

Ed :)

Last edited:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I don't like hybrid LED/incandescent lights. They work fine when the batteries are brand new, but the LEDs produce full illumination on far lower voltage than the incandescent bulb. So for most of the battery life the incandescent bulb is practically worthless.

Petzl and Black Diamond both make high-quality headlamps.

I've been meaning to do a short post on flashlights, based on reviewing probably several hundred over the years. Maybe I'll get to work on it.

Scott Brady

Founder
Nice post :campfire:

I am totally converted to LED now. I have four units; a cheap 3-led princeton in the Jeep, a Petzl in the Trooper (Tika), and two new Black Diamonds in the Tacoma.

I really like the Black Diamond units:

This is the unit I use- Black Diamond Night Ray
620577_nightray_orange.jpg

I have owned it for nearly a year now, and it is a fantastic tool

On the passenger seat, I keep this one.
620575_ion.jpg

Bill Burke showed me the coolest place to keep a head lamp. I just loop it over the head rest and they stay there all the time now. Easy to grab.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
I've been using headlamps for years for hunting and backpacking. Freeing up your hands is a big plus.

I recently added the Black Diamond Gemini to my SAR helmet:
82590_l.jpg

I've been using the Petzl Tikkina while getting to my early morning hunting spots. It's a nice small, light headlamp. I even use the little Petzl during my night runs on the golf course. It provides plenty of illumination up close, but dosen't project light too far.
37764_l.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4704.jpg
    IMG_4704.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4707.JPG
    IMG_4707.JPG
    372.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4712.jpg
    IMG_4712.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4697.jpg
    IMG_4697.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 6

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I like that Black Diamond Gemini, does it put out alot of light?
I have used a couple of the LED style ones and the convienence is great but I have never been impressed by the light output.

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    502.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    400.5 KB · Views: 2

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
A great resource for Headlamp and flashlight reviews and education is FlashlightReviews.com

I have been using the Petzl Tikka for an ultra-lightweight lamp that can go on even the lightest of hikes for a long time. It's a nice little light but output is low (which I actually like in a lot of cases). But I wanted a more powerful, waterproof lamp for 4wd camping, wet sports (paddling canyoneering, snorkeling) and caving/mines. I just got a Princeton Tec Matrix 2 because I was able to get one for only 12 bucks through a recent REI Outlet sale. I went to flashlightreviews.com for a quick education prior to my purchase, and found out that it uses a single "Luxeon I" side emitting Luxeon Star LED which is VERY bright and rivals a halogen or xenon bulb for a fraction of the power consumption. It uses 2 AA batteries (I plan to use my rechargeables) and weighs in at a hefty 5.9 ounces with batteries. Since I just got it, I don't have any long term feedback, but I just used it last night helping Scott with his Tacoma mods, and it worked GREAT. I am really impressed with how bright this particular side-emitting LED bulb is.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Okay maybe a corny question but what about the ones advertised on TV that are battery-less? Simply shake and turn on. I've seen them in Discovery store but do not have any long-term experience with it.

Hmmm, maybe someone needs to create one for your head. Simply talk to your wife while wearing it - it'll never run out of juice then! :D

GeoRoss

Adventurer
I will second a vote for the Black Diamond Night Ray. I used one this summer in Tibet, running it about 1-3 hours a day (mostly on low). I changed the batteries 3 times over 6 weeks.

Ross

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
GeoRoss said:
...I used one this summer in Tibet

Ooohh, nice! :jumping:

BN, I haven't tried one of those, but I like the concept and wouldn't mind having one. Either that or the crank-up ones are cool too. I have seen one of those and I was impressed with how bright it was.

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
I love headlamps. Absolutely fantastic for all manner of expedition uses. But before I'm actually seen in public in one, I'm waiting for someone to design a headlamp so that the wearer doesn't look like an uber-outdoor-nerd. :xxrotflma

Meantime, I let my dear Jonathan be "Flashlight Man" so I don't have to! You know, it messes up my hair so much!

Attachments

• TJ 3-31-17 #4 - Copy.JPG
    TJ 3-31-17 #4 - Copy.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 1

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Ah, yes...the hair issue. I will have to factor that into my equation.
:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. I have some good ideas now what to consider...

Scott Brady

Founder
What hair issue? :)

Chris and I did an impromptu lamp test this evening while working on the trucks. His Princeton ROCKS!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1519251033433.jpg
    FB_IMG_1519251033433.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 1
  • FB_IMG_1519251022808.jpg
    FB_IMG_1519251022808.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1

dieck

Adventurer
DaktariEd said:
Has anyone really used some of the new LED and hybrid LED/incandescent headlamps? Not just tried them out at the store, but really put them to work.
I am considering them to free up my hands while at a campsite, looking around the Cruiser in the dark, etc. But do they really offer significant advantages?
Your thoughts? Pros and cons?

I run the Princton Tec Yukon HL
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/princetontec_yukonhl.htm
princetontec_yukonhl_glamour.jpg

I prefer the LED only headlamps. I've used them for the Texas Water Safari when our primary lights got trashed. They lasted for 3 nights on one set of batteries although they were a bit dimmer at the end. The provided substantial light and thankfully were waterproof. We litterally used these all night for three nights since this is a non-stop race. They worked a lot better than my sleep deprived brain on night 3.

Don't like the incandescent lights because of thier high battery drain.

Last edited:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I have several head lamp as well. But what I love the most in my light collection is the Lazer Brite. It can be used as a head lamp, or better hang from you neck on a lanyard for camp use so you don't blind everyone! It can be used in it's tube for a glow stick, or spot lamp. It is LED and it has Blue, Red, White, or Green heads. Runs on your basic watch battery.

Lazer Brite

We always laugh at the million uses for this light. I carry 3 in evey vehicle we own. Great for road flares, I also find the White one hung fro the top of the tent is jsut right for reading etc.

[ fixed link - BT]

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles