Expedition Bicycles?

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
. . . bicycles?

bikeenlargerohloffexp.jpg

I started researching these in preparation for a project I'm planning. I want to circumnavigate the Grand Canyon by bicycle, taking in as much backcountry mileage as possible, and exploring and talking to people along the way. I plan to write a book about the trip, including a lot of natural history, but also stories about the people who live and work around and in the canyon--ranchers, rangers, the Hualapai and Navajo.

Anyway, there is a very minor worldwide industry in producing bicycles like the English Thorn models, which go beyond the normal touring bike in terms of strength and reliability. These bicycles are made for people who do things like pedal from Cape town to Cairo, or around Australia.

They're almost always steel-framed, either lugged or filet-brazed for rigidity, and incorporate braze-on fittings to carry racks and extra water bottles. They can be fitted with such things as front wheel hubs which double as generators for lights, and German Rohloff rear hubs, as in this photo, that have 14 internal gears (just this hub runs around $800), obviating the need for derailleurs and multiple front chainrings.

I'm thinking about ordering one of Thorn's Nomad frames to swap my existing components to. Here's Thorn's main website for anyone who likes the idea of a Land Cruiser in bike form:

http://www.sjscycles.com/thornwebsite/index.html

Scott Brady

Founder
This is very exciting Jonathan. :clapsmile

Having been an avid cyclist for nearly 20 years, I will follow your progress with great interest.

I would recommend that at least a front suspension is in order. It will make a considerable difference in your comfort and mileage per day.

My bike is dual suspension, and is like a Cadillac on the trail.

I would also be interested in how, as forum members (and friends) we can support your effort. Like bringing food and supplies, riding portions with you, etc.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Fantastic! What a neat bike. And that sounds like a great ride too. I might have a few contacts (park personnel) on the South Rim that you may be interested in meeting/interviewing.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks you guys. Contacts at the park will be very helpful, and it would be a blast to have friends join me for sections.

Regarding suspension, I've been riding an aluminum-framed MTB with a suspension fork for eight or nine years. It's a great bike (has to be--it's from a company named Scott!). But suspension is extremely problematic for carrying loads. I have a BOB trailer which carries a lot of gear and does well on rough roads, but I'd rather have all my kit on the bike for this trip. It's virtually impossible to equip a suspended bike with racks suitable for touring loads of 30-50 pounds or more.

What most people don't realize is how comfortable a non-suspended steel touring bike can be, when designed with long chainstays and a proper fork. I've ridden road touring bikes such as the Bruce Gordon models, and they soak up bumps extremely well. If you need a bit more shock absorption you can install a suspension seatpost.

Touring by bicycle is the land version of sea kayaking: you can go as far as you want, and have the satisfaction of getting there under your own power.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
There is a couple from right here in Prescott named Tim and Cindie Travis, that are currently on a mammoth bike expedition - around the globe! And they have written a book about it too. They have been all through the Americas, and are currently in Asia. Tim offers some commentary on their site about selection of an expedition bike including a section titled "Please do not Repeat my Touring Bike Mistakes." They are using Koga World Traveler bikes

kogaMED.jpg

http://www.downtheroad.org/

Also, here is a nice collection of links to bicycle expeditions through South America. The site is on geocities though, so make sure you have your pop-up blocker turned on. (sorry, but it's worth it - it is a great set of links). LINK

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I had heard about Tim and Cindie, but had no idea they were from Prescott! That is a superb site with tons of information.

Don't miss the list of records on the Biketrips.org site. Some are amazing, some just plain hilarious.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Jonathan Hanson said:
I had heard about Tim and Cindie, but had no idea they were from Prescott! That is a superb site with tons of information.

Don't miss the list of records on the Biketrips.org site. Some are amazing, some just plain hilarious.

:Wow1: :xxrotflma Excellent! Thanks for the tip!

One of the records for example...

Flat tires : [size=+2]18 in 1 day[/size]
In China/Nepal in 1996. That's what I'd call a shity day ! Check out Corax's site.
Record made by
Janne Corax

:xxrotflma

Wow, the record holder named Heinz Stücke is something else. Amazing! Riding continuously for 40 years and still going...

I like this part of what he says...

" Although I never intended to travel for so long, I came to the conclusion that going into an area for a short time was simply not enough. It would be very unfair to the people who lived there. You might praise or condemn a country solely on the basis of one encounter, either pleasant or unpleasant. So I decided on a minimum of two to six months per country depending on its size. I felt this period of time would permit me to get a more realistic impression of the place. But in slowing down, time just passed by and there was always another country around the corner. I was hardly ever homesick or tired of travelling, although I have to admit that sometimes I longed for domestic comforts. "

:clapsmile

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Great information, BajaTaco, thanks!

Ironically, I had found Tim and Cindie's website earlier this year, looking for something unrelated to biking. I bookmarked it, it was so good.

I also just Googled Heinz Stücke, and found this wonderful article:
www.gluckman.com/Bikeman.html

Truly inspiring for all aspiring adventurers. Clearly the biggest limitation we all have for doing such things is . . . ourselves!

Roseann

articulate

Expedition Leader
BajaTaco said:
There is a couple from right here in Prescott named Tim and Cindie Travis, that are currently on a mammoth bike expedition - around the globe! And they have written a book about it too. They have been all through the Americas, and are currently in Asia. Tim offers some commentary on their site about selection of an expedition bike including a section titled "Please do not Repeat my Touring Bike Mistakes." They are using Koga World Traveler bikes
http://www.downtheroad.org/
I don't post up much, but this thread has piqued my interest. I ran into that website years ago when they were "merely" in Mexico; and it ocurred to me that I could do what they were doing.

Partnering has been tough, though. My wife was willing to humor me for a Canyon de Chelly bike trek which only took a day to complete. Now she wants to bike across England someday soon.

So I have no social foundation to horn-in on Jonathan's trip, but I'm slobbering to do some extensive riding around the mighty Grand Canyon. :lurk:

Either way, what an interesting trip. How much time do you anticipate the full circumnavigation to require? Grand total mileage?

Cheers!
Mark

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
What are the dates that you are planning this for? Would be alot of fun. A friend of mine and I rode the White Rim Trail last spring. We made a pact to do it totally self supported. We used Bob trailers which worked great. Only issue was really the 7 gallon water tank I lugged around on my bob. Made the bike really hard to manage, especially on the steep decents. Those adventure bikes look really interesting and I'm going to look up more on those internal gear hubs. Sounds really cool. Anyway, here's a few pictures from my bike ride of the White Rim.. Only have two shots on this computer from the trip though. Last one shows my current bike. Specialized Epic. Best all around bike I've had yet. Fast racer, comfortable tourer, and sharp handling downhiller.

Attachments

• f30f162e.jpg
    f30f162e.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 152
  • f437cbb3.jpg
    f437cbb3.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 140
  • f24d21d5.jpg
    f24d21d5.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 157

Scott Brady

Founder
A few of us here have riden the White Rim. I know Brittan has done most of it, and I did all of the downhills :)

I nearly killed myself on Shaffer Hill. There is a video somewhere...

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
expeditionswest said:
A few of us here have riden the White Rim. I know Brittan has done most of it, and I did all of the downhills :)

I nearly killed myself on Shaffer Hill. There is a video somewhere...

Ha ha, yeah the Shaffer trail is definately formidable. We road from the Green River side around and up the Shaffer trail on the last day. I was hurting on that climb. We had about 45 miles of riding that last day with the Shafer trail climb being the last thing. My partner is a successful bike racer and she mad me look like an idiot, plain and simple. ha ha ha I was trying to be all nice and take the water tank, when in reality I should have sucked up my pride and let her drag it. It was a fun experience. We're looking to do something like that again this spring out in the Moab area. I'm spending more time this winter on my bike trainer though!:jumping:

Colorado Ron

Explorer
pic1172.jpg

This is how I roll! Closest thing to a bike I have!!:shakin: :xxrotflma

EDIT:Not really mine. Just thought it would be a funny spot to put it!LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke