Help Kinda im new

Alpinestar

i know that i will probably get hashed like 'newbies' do on all other forum sites.
but i am very new to 4 wheeling and other expedition activies. so the question im asking the senior veterans of 4 wheeling is what was the first thing you added to your vehcile and what do you think a vehicle needs first before other things can come... i have been searching for a vehicle for a while(almost a year or so)ever since i started driving legally. ;) i belive i have come up with a choice: a Tacoma pickup 2000+ model my vehicle will probably be used on easy to moderate trails nothing too killer
thank you for your help.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Alpinestar, welcome! There is no hashing or harrassing the newbies on this board so you can take a little solice in that fact. Several of us here are fairly new to off road driving and expedition travel, and some of us are veterans. everybody is always eager to help. I do not own a Taco, but it seems most people here do, I am a minority, but still welcomed. :D

To answer your question, the Tacoma is an excellent platform to begin with. It already has good clearance and is very capable off road in stock form. I would start with a set of decent LT rated tires, then get some body protection i.e. sliders, skid plates, etc. then you may want to consider a lift of around 2". You don't really need any more than that if you do not plan on doing any rock crawling. Also, I would highly reccommend a navigation system, i.e. GPS and some good topo maps of the areas that you plan on exploring. recovery points both front and rear, recovery gear, fire extinguisher, flash light, a system to keep them secured in the vehicle, and to go out and enjoy yourself in your new interest/hobby/passion. If you ever have any questions please feel free to post up and you will get your answers.

Alpinestar

thanks for the reply. :clapsmile i am trying to build a toyota that is good on and off road if that is possible, becuase i have to drive 60 miles our so to school round trip. :jump:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Peruse some of the Toyota psts a bit to find out what kind of mods a lot of these guys are running. I am not sure of ideal tire size for the Taco's, but if it is going to be your daily driver I would reccommend not going to large, and keep the lift no higher than 2". You then should not have to deal with gearing issues, pinion angles, crappy gas mileage, etc. And then it will be capable both on road as well as off road. It is always nice to be cruising down the road and see a trail heading off to somewhere you have never been and being able to just turn up that road to see where it goes without having to worry about you vehicle. :victory:

Am I the only who does that?? :D

Alpinestar

dont worry i do it but on 2 wheels with a honda xr 250 fourstroke(i love bikes and four wheeling but i know bikes better) :D
thanks

pangaea

Adventurer
Alpinestar,

Welcome aboard. As mentioned above, there doesn't seem to be any harassment of newbies here, and there is a pretty impressive collection of knowledge here with most of the members, and they all seem happy to share.

As far as a good starter vehicle is concerned, a Taco is defintiely a good choice. Personally, I'm a bit of a Land Rover nut, but I wouldn't recommend it to a typical student. The upkeep can be a bit tough unless you have time and money to throw at it periodically.

There was recently a good thread on priority of modifications for expedition use, that you might want to check out. This should link to it, but if not, just check out the vehicle modifications section of the form.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200

Suty

Adventurer
Welcome Alpin, You will find alot of knowledge on this board as well as some ultra cool rigs. I must agree with Dat, Tires, Lift and Protection would be high on my list of Mods. Most of us have turned this "hobby" into a Passion/Addiction so watch yourself when you start doing mods or you may end up with little money for books and food. All kidding aside, don't hesitate to ask questions and seek advise here. Tu Compadre, Suty

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Howdy and welcome to the group! Not much more to add 'cept...I think Taco's are great but don't count out a Nissan. More parts and accessories for Toy's but our market is growing very quickly too.

bluerunner

Adventurer
Welcome Alpine!

Which ever mods you go with make sure you get plenty of BLING BLING!

J/k welcome aboard! :elkgrin:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Get hashed? Where do you think you are, on the TTORA forum?

Nope, we're all nice here, and we all still remember when we were novices too.

If I can be redundant: Good tires. They'll do more than the next three or four modifications you add to optimize your performance off road.

My wife's 2000 Tacoma also does double duty--we live 40 miles outside of town. Because of that we try to balance modifications with retaining fuel economy. We stick with the stock (for the TRD package) 31x10.5 tire size, which works very well in all but extreme situations. A two-inch lift such as our kit from Old Man Emu gains you good clearance without disrupting the air flow over the truck too much or introducing problematic angles to the front axle CV joints. We still get 20+ miles per gallon on the highway with an automatic transmission.

Body protection is a worthwhile addition, as is a way to air up tires after trail sessions: a good air pump or a CO2 tank. A Hi-lift jack is essential kit, and bumpers that can take a Hi-lift, such as ARB.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
I know Pirate thrashes newbies pretty good. XOC used to but they've changed.

You'll never see that on EP or NOR!

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Jonathan Hanson said:
Get hashed? Where do you think you are, on the TTORA forum?

Man, you aren't kidding! Some of the stuff I see over there... :(

Welcome to the forum Alpinestar :beer: I 2nd what Jonathan said about tires. Unfortunately, tires are so dang expensive, but you have to have them regardless, so may as well get some really good ones.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
i am trying to build a toyota that is good on and off road if that is possible
Yes it's possible, but you won't have to build it, Toyota already has. Off the showroom floor, the Tacoma is one of the two most capable and reliable mid-size pickups available. Nissan is the other.

Alpinestar said:
what was the first thing you added to your vehcile and what do you think a vehicle needs first before other things can come...
my vehicle will probably be used on easy to moderate trails nothing too killer
thank you for your help.
My point of view will be different than some others, but since you are an Eagle Scout (like me - '88) I'm sure you'll understand.

The very first thing you need to add to your vehicle is a Bug Out Backpack (BOB). Your new friend BOB, should contain items you will need in case of an emergency, ie stuck or broke down. First aid kit, 3 different ways to start a fire, water purifier, toilet paper, flashlight, stainless steel cup, space blanket, duct tape, nylon cord, Leatherman multi-tool, compass, bug spray, sunscreen, spare socks, hatchet/shovel combo tool, whistle, bouillion cubes, notebook & pen and a pocket survival guide book. Now no matter what happens to your truck, if you have to wait days for help or walk out, you are prepared. Leave it in the truck whether you're going to the woods or the mall. Be prepared. ;)

What I think a truck needs first, before other things come, is driver experience. You and your truck need to "get to know each other." A stock Tacoma will take you further than many aftermarket vendors want you to know. Run some trails in your area, with BOB, see what your truck can do and see what type of trails interest you. I'm a big proponent of only adding or replacing parts when the factory part fails or becomes a limitation. Have you bought the truck yet? If not, I would look for one with a TRD package and the factory e-locker. They come nicely equipped with good shocks, skid plates and All Terrain BFG tires. Add a topper and sleeping/storage deck like BajaTaco's set up and you'll be set for quite awhile.

As you learn what your truck can do and what type of terrain you enjoy travelling, then consider what modifications will enhance your trips. A lifted, locked, winch equipped truck is as only effective as the person who is driving it. This is not a knock on your inexperience, but a valuable tip before you go throwing money at it on mods that may not help you yet. We all covet the highly modified and equipped trucks we see, but lockers, winches, sliders and high dollar suspensions are not required to enjoy a day or week on the trail. A positive attitude and willingness to learn from others mistakes, like you've already shown, will save you money and aggrevation down the road.

Welcome to the board young Padawan! :cool:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Ha Jon your TTORA comment is about right.. Newbs get killed on their. So many people forget the roots they came from but it's true in all sports. Especially paddling as you know.

Anyway back on track. Your choice of a taco is good. I would probably go for a TRD 4x4 that way you well have a selectable locker which is a huge advantage reguardless of the wheeling you do. I think adding some 31x10.50 or stock size metric tires with good offroad tread is paramount. Either the BFG mud or goodyear MTR. I favor the BFG myself. I think sliders should be high on the list. With the longer whell base of the trucks the rocker panels can take a beating. Finally good bumpers.

You should get a good recovery kit, as well as a basic tool and parts kit together. I also recomend a chilton's or comparable repair book on your truck. You can keep it all in in a cheap ammo can available from any army navy store if your on a budget. Often times 1 or 2 $30-$40 ammo cans will hold all your basic recovery and tools if you pack smart.

After that you can start adding the comfort features. Electronic navigation, Fridge, racks, snorkel etc. Just be realistic about your budget since your in school. Before you get started with the build map out a plan. This is the thing that gets most people over thier head on project trucks. Make a list of what modifications you want and the costs. Determine what your real budget not dream budget is, and then prioritize the items that will get you the most for the money.

Good luck with the build and keep us posted. Also one last thing to consider. Since coming up with $ for expensive parts can be tricky while in school consider you armour before you buy the truck see if you can get the car dealer you will buy the truck from, to include the cost of those parts into the sale when you finance it. just make sure that you have the prices and who you are gonna get those parts from already worked out. I have several of my customers do that when they buy new cars.

riverguide

Adventurer
There have been some excellent posts here. As said, the Tacoma is an excellent choice for any use. I wouldnt mind throwin a land rover in the collection but that isnt for today. Be willing to spend some money on a good tacoma though. At least around here they are hard to find, low miles and good condition. They are pricey.

Tires are a great choice..choose something perhaps like an all terrain or light truck tire. You'd be surprised what that thing will do with pathetic tires. As you learn, or as your conditions and driving still demand, you can get something with bigger better tread. I think those trucks come with 31's which is an excellent size. A lift would be nice along with many other things mentioned in this thread but I'd start with tires. That was my first purchase and I loved them for 4 yrs...just got rid of them and upgraded. As everyone said, you are on a limited budget being a student and all. I know how that goes. But the small budget of a student doesnt really get me, its all the activities I choose to do in the mean time that get me. If I enjoyed 4wheeling and nothing else..well I'd have pretty much everything I wanted..but since I enjoy biking, fly fishing and camping as well...that takes away from the truck fund..plus you add in gas money, food expenses and if rent or anything else is thrown in, that doesnt leave for much more money. Make a list as suggested and go from there. Be realistic as Nullifier said. It's easy to get carried away. Don't do the mods for other ppl, do them for yourself. Enough of this gibber jabber. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles