Fire Box for Camping?

+ d

Adventurer
i'm planning on fabricating a fire box (steel container with which to have a fire in, required in anza borrego) and was wondering if any of you guys have built one, use one or have some general tips/thoughts for the design...

my current basic design parameters are:

simple and relatively inexpensive to fabricate
match the dimensions of my coleman camp stove
keep a tight lid on for transport
allow attachment of grill for cooking

anything to share?
david

:campfire:

+ d

Adventurer
that's an approach i hadn't thought of...
i had just assumed i would fill the space with related accoutrement.

folding does complicate fabrication however, i only have saturday and i need to get my limiting straps on too...i'll have to sketch up some ideas. thanks!

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I've always liked the old washing machine drums, though I know that doesn't fit the size criteria you mentioned. The drums are cool because there is no fab needed, they have excellent air circulation (due to all of the little holes in the sides) and they are nice and deep allowing for a fair amount of wind-shielded wood to be burned.

Harry from Eco4wd has an article on fireboxes on page 8 of this newsletter (.pdf file) that might be of interest.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I used to have a washing machine drum, they work great! But, as Baja mentioned, they are bulky. But hey, even the back-slider fire god liked using it....so you know they gotta be good!

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Couldn't you hit up some of you buddies that have an old small grill they are not using anymore and just take the bottom half. Or how bout a garage sale this weekend in your area. Your bound to find one. Hell maybe one of those cheap $10.00 walmart charcoal racks and save yourself the fabrication time and materials cost. Use the grill lid and base seperate and have 2 of them so when one burns up you have another.

Just a thought.

+ d

Adventurer
yeah good point guys...i'm not sure i'll have the time to make one anyways. installing the limiting straps is the priority.

i may have to comb through the free section on craigslist. modularity just helps the packing...

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I may not quite understand what is required here, but what about simple flat panels slotted at the ends that slide together? A couple of tabs on the inside would accept a slide-in grill. Simple assembly and disassembly, stores flat.

Hope that makes sense...
Ed

Gonzzo

Observer
I might have the thing you are looking for...

I still have an old washing machine drum that makes an annual pilgrimage to crawley lake every year. But thats not what you are looking for right?. I think THIS is what you need. I have the basic model and it works almost as good as the washing machine drum. I say almost because the washing machine drum displaces more heat and light, good for large crowds and great for late night camp drinks(last one up, starts cooking breakfast). The camp fire in a can recently came down in price as i payd twice what the current price is but, even at double the money, i would still buy one. It is convenient and easy to use. Set it up, light it up, cook it up, get warmed up. All in a matter of a few minutes. Take down is easy, make sure the wood has burned down enough for the lid to fit, put the lid on, lock it up and let it cool. No smoke or ashes. If you dont have time to wait, put the fire out with plenty of water, put the lid on, lock it down, pour some water on it to make sure its cool enough and put it away. The fire in a can has replaced my w/m drum for most of my outings. Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Gonzzo.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Reviving this thread.........

We just hit fire restrictions in CA.

But you can prepare for next season.

+d .....I found this today while looking at the Sears website for a new BBQ for my home. It's made by "TexSport" . If this won't work for you.......It's an easy design that would work well if you could make it fold up for storage. .....and you can cook on it as well. I tried to give you a link to the Sears page....but it didn't stick. You can look it up under "TexSport".

I like this design because it gives you a Full 360* view of a fire and it's warmth......and you can also cook on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Brady

Founder
Mark,

I know Mario from Adventure Trailers was testing a slick fire box. A little difficult to assemble, but it also worked as a grill, etc. I liked it.

I will try to get the details and post them up.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
The "Little unit" I'm testing I found is easier to put together after reading the instructions...duh!
It's made by http://www.pit2go.com/ and works well. It's US made, durable and makes helluva hot fire. I can live without all the bbq stuff that comes with it but the tote bag is really good, not one of those cheap ones that tears the first time you use it. You'll need it cuz this thing is hefty.
I don't often make a fire but when the need arises and the requirement is containment, then this is my first choice.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I like the concept of the folding fire pit. Kind of small, but certainly better than hauling around a washing machine tub.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

for a good chuckle............

16 Steps to Build a Campfire

1. Split dead limb into fragments and shave one fragment into slivers.
2. Bandage left thumb.
3. Chop other fragments into smaller fragments.
4. Bandage left foot.
5. Make structure of slivers (include those embedded in hand.)
6. Light Match
7. Light Match
8. Repeat "a Scout is cheerful" and light match.
9. Apply match to slivers, add wood fragments, and blow gently into base of fire.
10. Apply burn ointment to nose.
11. When fire is burning, collect more wood.
12. Upon discovering that fire has gone out while out searching for more wood, soak wood from can labeled "kerosene."
13. Treat face and arms for second-degree burns.
14. Re-label can to read "gasoline."
15. When fire is burning well, add all remaining firewood.
16. When thunder storm has passed, repeat steps 1 - 15

:camping:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier