Utah Cruiser Expedition 2005

dmc

Adventurer
Sept 2nd - 9th
Southern Utah Deserts

Looking to get a little feedback from those in the know regarding our trip. It started out with 8 trucks but health, employment and school have cut our number to 4. 3 FZJ80s and 1 UZJ100. 2 people per truck. I'm hoping long term to make this an annual event. This practice run is being used for our own education and learning. The same group has already begun discussing future trips to Baja, AK, etc.

I'll try to briefly describe the route and agenda. The goal is to cover as much ground as possible on dirt roads and link together some of our favorite regions of Utah as well as exploring new territory.

Day 1- St. George to Cannonville: Route begins southeast toward the Toroweap overlook on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. North from there though Colorado City and up the Cane Beds Road to Mt. Carmel Junction. A short leg of ashpalt will take us to the Skutumpa Road and over toward Cannonville. Camp near the Sheep Creek entrance to the Paria River.

Day 2- Camp 1 to Escalante or Hells Backbone: Down the Paria River past the old movie set. East on hwy89 to Big Water. Northeast from Bigwater to NPS 262 (overlooking powell) North on the Smokey Mountain road through Collett (sp?) Canyon to Hole in the Rock. North to Escalante. Refuel. North up Hells Backbone. Camping this night will depend on activities during the day. Hiking in the Paria and on NPS262 will determine the distance traveled.

Day 3- Camp 2 to Dollhouse: Finish Hells Backbone through Boulder and down the paved!!! Burr Trail to Notom Bullfrog Road. North then East over the Henry Mountains. At this point a choice will be made based upon our mood and daylight. Enter the maze district either by the Flint Trail or Poison Spring Canyon and work our way down to the Dollhouse. Hike down to the river either night 3 or morning day 4.

Day 4- Dollhouse to Dark Canyon: Leave Dollhouse head southwest/west toward Hite. Cross the river then back East toward Dark Canyon and Elk Ridge.

Day 5- Dark Canyon to South End of Lockhart Basin or Lockhart Wash:North and down off of Elk Ridge through Bobby's Hole and Elephant Hill. Spend time hiking in the Needles District.

Day 6 - Lockhart Basin to Geyser Pass: North through Lockhart Basin, Kane Creek trail east toward the Lasal moutains. Hit Moab for fuel. East into the Lasals. Either on the Sand Flats road or Lasal Loop road. Camp at Geyser Pass.

Day 7- Geyser Pass to SLC: North and East from Geyser Pass toward the Dolores River ford. Cross the Dolores and head north to I-70. Back to SLC from there and sleep all weekend.

Attachments

• DSCF3614.jpg
    DSCF3614.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 4
  • n1005090050_30321354_7979.jpg
    n1005090050_30321354_7979.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 4
  • n78204578_30100919_5133.jpg
    n78204578_30100919_5133.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 21959_537686221123_78204578_31528878_2680658_n.jpg
    21959_537686221123_78204578_31528878_2680658_n.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 4
  • n78204578_30406605_16.jpg
    n78204578_30406605_16.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 207462_505780405633_78204578_30106604_4117_n.jpg
    207462_505780405633_78204578_30106604_4117_n.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 205058_505779652143_78204578_30100909_646_n.jpg
    205058_505779652143_78204578_30100909_646_n.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 4
  • P84882802.jpg
    P84882802.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

dmc

Adventurer
Man that was a long post. Here are our/my concerns.

Fuel: None of us have long range tanks yet. We'll be carrying what we can but we'll need to top off in Escalante, Hanksville and Moab.

Water: Shouldn't be an issue. We'll be carrying plenty and have access to more if necessary.

Navigation: Each member of the the group has traveled at least one of the sections or in the general vicinity.

Recovery: We'll have 2 winches and all the associated gear including shovels axes, highlifts, snatch blocks, straps.

Repair: We have a pretty decent spare parts list and one Toyota Master Tech (unsprung80)

My biggest concerns...

Conditioning: driving all day really takes it out of me. I hope me and my RIO are able to balance driving and navigating well.

Slowing Down: When I've done smaller versions in the past I have a hard time adjusting to camp time or stops. I tend to want to go and go and struggle sitting around the fire for very long.

Comraderie: Tensions have to build up don't they? heat and fatigue inevitably lead to irriability. hopefully we can balance our down time properly to avoid it.

Decisions: This trip is sort of my brainchild so I feel the urge to make all the decisions. The plan is to have a different truck lead each day and take full ownership of what happens.

Food: how to break up the monotony of granola bars and pbj's.

I realize the current user number on this site is small due to it's infancy but I know those here have more experience than we do.
thanks,
dmc

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Dave,

This sounds like a FANTASTIC adventure... I will spend some more time responding in detail tonight, but my last trip to this area might be a fun teaser. :cool:

Southern Utah Adventure

Copy%20of%20DSCF2616.jpg

dmc

Adventurer
Scott,

How wrong is it that I think I know the exact spot you called the "roughest portion" of the Smokey Moutain road? I was just down there scouting for this trip. Don't know if you saw the thread or not...

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=47582

Do you do all your site work? They all look great. I look forward to your suggestions this evening. You should stick around after your Gravel Canyon trip and catch us for the second half of UCE.
dmc

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
dmc said:
Fuel: None of us have long range tanks yet. We'll be carrying what we can but we'll need to top off in Escalante, Hanksville and Moab.

I think you have a good plan there. You can get a little more aggressive as you have several vehicles in the convoy. Typically, I would not want to deviate from this general rule:

Minimum fuel requirement= [(total distance between fuel stops/off-highway MPG)x2+5]

Here is an example. The distance from Escalante to Page is about 100 miles, but what if you came to nearly the end of the route and the road was washed out and beyond repair, which would require you to return to Escalante. The 5 is a 5 gallon reserve.

An FZJ80 typically has a 200-220 mile off-highway range on improved tracks. So with a 5 gallon tank straped to the rack or in a sealed can in the cabin, you have a safe travel distance of about 110 miles between stops. Of course this can be pushed a bit if you have a higher tolerance for risk ;)

dmc said:
Water: Shouldn't be an issue. We'll be carrying plenty and have access to more if necessary.

Agreed. Just make sure to have cold water available too. I usually have three different water sources. 20-40l for the vehicle and emergencies, 10l of good drinking and cooking water in a quality container that does not affect taste, and a few Nalgene bottles in the fridge, cold and ready to drink.

dmc said:
Navigation: Each member of the the group has traveled at least one of the sections or in the general vicinity.

Local knowledge is the best form of navigation possible :cool: . Save the track as you go, which makes for great maps and resources to other adventurers.

dmc said:
Recovery: We'll have 2 winches and all the associated gear including shovels axes, highlifts, snatch blocks, straps.

Perfect! Another good thing to do at the first drivers meeting is have each driver show the group where there first aid kits and recovery gear is located in the vehicle. If there is an accident that requires medical attention and recovery, everyone will be able to respond quickly.

dmc said:
Repair: We have a pretty decent spare parts list and one Toyota Master Tech (unsprung80).

Master Tech, WOW!

dmc said:
My biggest concerns...

Conditioning: driving all day really takes it out of me. I hope me and my RIO are able to balance driving and navigating well

Slowing Down: When I've done smaller versions in the past I have a hard time adjusting to camp time or stops. I tend to want to go and go and struggle sitting around the fire for very long.

You are not alone here Dave. Make sure to plan frequent breaks and allow for the photographers in the group to take great shots. You will be so happy you did. Keep the schedule flexible, and start looking for a good campsite around 3:30-4:00 and grab the first really nice one. Rest and a good dinner are invaluable.

I learned all of these lessons the hard way :eek:

dmc said:
Comraderie: Tensions have to build up don't they? heat and fatigue inevitably lead to irriability. hopefully we can balance our down time properly to avoid it.

Decisions: This trip is sort of my brainchild so I feel the urge to make all the decisions. The plan is to have a different truck lead each day and take full ownership of what happens.

Have a clearly defined plan and guidelines. I am very open to changes in plans, but many are not. Dont change plans late in the day or at the last minute. Give the "planners" in the group a chance to consider your new ideas. Many people do not do well with change.

I really like your idea of changing the lead truck every day. Good plan.

Oh, and make sure that you know the "comfortable" travel speed of everyone in the group. Some may not be comfortable with a Baja 500 pace.

dmc said:
Food: how to break up the monotony of granola bars and pbj's.

I realize the current user number on this site is small due to it's infancy but I know those here have more experience than we do.
thanks,
dmc

Do not skimp on food (I never do). Great food and a few cold beers will make for a very happy crew. I love to cook, and often go full Emeril on my trips. Nothing makes a tired and grubby group happier than a nice meal. Make each truck responsible for one dinner and the clean-up. That ensures that the "givers" on the team do not end up doing all of the work.

I cannot wait to hear more about the trip. I will start a new web page for the site to highlight your adventure :D

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
expeditionswest said:
Do not skimp on food (I never do). Great food and a few cold beers will make for a very happy crew. I love to cook, and often go full Emeril on my trips. Nothing makes a tired and grubby group happier than a nice meal.

I second that! I used to travel as light as possible, with food nothing more than a afterthought. It was always whatever I could toss together the quickest and easiest (and usually cold). After a couple trips with Betty Crocker ( :p ), I'm getting spoiled. Now food is one of the first things I plan out. (BTW, even my dog gets spoiled when Scott donns the chefs hat :D )

cherokee_pot.jpg

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Dave, this does sound like a spectacular trip. I'm envious! You asked for some feedback so I will just toss in a few thoughts.

It seems like you have really thought things through and planned well for the fuel, water, gear, etc. One thing that comes to mind is the time-frame and group dynamics. Something I have learned is that the more flexible, open-minded, and positive-attitude oriented you are, the better you will fit into a group equation. The more people in a group that are like this, the better the experience will likely be. I find that on trips with others, I am often the most agreeable person, and the one with the least complaints after the trip. Many people are really set in their ways, and when you mix them together (especially for the first time) it can cause some upset. Sooo... unless this group has done some trips like this already and has a "routine" down, the best thing I can suggest is to ease up on your planned itinerary where the time-frame is concerned. Even though you might be confident that you can keep that schedule, with a group things can slow down fast! (hahaha - oxymoron intended there). I wouldn't hesitate to actually cut your planned itinerary by a third, or even half it. Or at least, figure in some exit points along your route, so that you can get home from various points along the way in case you fall behind schedule. Some people like to go fast, and can move fast as a group and still enjoy things... but if you get folks together for the first time, and you have a trip leader who is either (1) too slow or (2) whipping everyone to a frenzied pace... you will have some dissatisfied participants. A way to avoid this is not to be too ambitious with your plans. Allow time to "stop and smell the roses" ... time for people to set up their camp before dark... time to get their stuff packed properly in the morning... time to get that awesome photo shot they spotted from the window of their rig... time to hike over that rise and see what is on the other side... you get the idea.

There has been mention of food. And I agree that good food is a great way to maintain a nice disposition. But despite what you might actually eat, just taking the time to eat is important. The less people in your group that are going hungry (i.e. driving too far without stopping for a snack or meal) the less irritation might be felt along the journey. Same goes for potty breaks.

Camp life. I know everyone has their own preferences, likes, dislikes, etc. about what gear they use and how they use it. BUT, I will just note one thing. In all of my 4wd travels with other people, the most common reaction to my camp setup is a humorous envy that ususally generates some fun comments. After finding a fairly level spot to park the truck, within about 5 minutes I am usually found enjoying a cold beer, reclining in my EZ-chair or standing around enjoying the landscape, or even watching my buddies set up camp. So I get looks and comments from others who are setting up tents, tables, unpacking lanterns, ice-chests, gear boxes, and so forth while I look on with my beer :p To be fair... when it comes time to pack up the next morning, I am often the last guy to be ready to leave. Why? Becuase I fart around too much! Anyway, my point is that if there is any way that you can simplify your camp life, it all adds up to less time (and effort) spent on setting up and tearing down. For a weekend trip, it's really not a big deal. But for a trip of a week or more, the repetition can get old (at least for me anyway).

dmc

Adventurer
BajaTaco said:
One thing that comes to mind is the time-frame and group dynamics.

Baja,

You're concerns are valid. I think either consciously or sub-consciously I considered both of them in the planning. One truck needs to leave two days early and will miss Lockhart Basin and the Lasal mountains. There are 4 times we'll be crossing pavement with easy accessiblity home if it comes to that.

The biggest issue I took into consideration was personalities. I had thrown this idea out as a potential club activity and there was real interest but when it came down to it I only invited people with like mentality and history. All 8 of us have spent time together on the Rubicon, in Moab, on various trip throughout the Utah deserts and lots of time hanging out and working on trucks together. We have a good mix of personality types. Most of all we are all good friends and have spent time in the back country and around the campfire together.

I'm sure my truck will want to drive the fastest but i'm also the guy that will force everyone to stop and take pictures all day long. Others are very thorough in their food prep and camp set up. I'm the guy who chucks his bag on a tarp and sleeps. We're all up for hiking and messing around. Not just driving.

That being said you've both confirmed that downtime and food will go a long way toward a good demeanor. I planned an itinerary that should allow for plenty of lounge time. I just hope we can relax and enjoy it.

BajaTaco said:
Minimum fuel requirement= [(total distance between fuel stops/off-highway MPG)x2+5]

Here is an example. The distance from Escalante to Page is about 100 miles, but what if you came to nearly the end of the route and the road was washed out and beyond repair, which would require you to return to Escalante. The 5 is a 5 gallon reserve.

An FZJ80 typically has a 200-220 mile off-highway range on improved tracks. So with a 5 gallon tank straped to the rack or in a sealed can in the cabin, you have a safe travel distance of about 110 miles between stops. Of course this can be pushed a bit if you have a higher tolerance for risk

Great point. In my journeys I always fill up when I have the chance. Even if i've only traveled 50 miles I'll top of if I know the next leg may result in long distances. I actually had an experience similar to what you mentioned about 10 years ago. My friend and I took his Subaru Legacy down through Cathedral Valley. Just north of Caineville we came to a river ford that was too deep for his car. We had to travel back about 90 miles then over to Hanksville for fuel. Coasted in on fumes. I learned a good lesson that day about fuel conservation. Okay i'm rambling...
dmc

dmc

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
I cannot wait to hear more about the trip. I will start a new web page for the site to highlight your adventure :D

thanks. hopefully we'll be worthy of the coverage. TJK was an original invitee to the trip so i'm hoping for some Trails coverge. May be shopping the story around a few other places as well.
dmc

dmc

Adventurer
camp cook

Well we made some decisions about the trip. In an attempt to make our trip a legit 'expedition' we've assigned duties to each member. Most importanty for me and my predilection for junk food we now have a menu being created for the entire trip by a guy who loves food and more importantly good food. So now i just have to chip in for the purchase and do my share of cooking and cleaning. I've very happy about it.

The preventitive maintenance continues and my drawers will be finished tonight for the back of the 80. some day i'll get around to posting my truck in the rigs sections.
dmc

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Mmmm.... good food. Good idea! :eatchicke

Looking forward to more details and stories unfolding here. :lurk:

Scott Brady

Founder
You are doing a great job of planning! It will make such a huge diference in the experience for everyone.

Since most groups will have a few members on the "lazy" side, it is important that everyone has an assignment. I have always been lucky to have lots of helpers, but there are still those times when a few think they have a paid guide/cook...

A great resource for expedition planning is the royal geographic society. They have VOLUMES of information that make for excellent reading.

dmc

Adventurer
go time

UCE begins in 3 days.

I've been out of town or busy preparing for the trip so updates have been few. All 4 cruisers now have their rear drawers built. I have my middle seats removed and 'tested' the set up last weekend up in Washington over 4 days of camping. I need to get the full deck built but that will have to wait until I have more time to do the wood work.

Most of the food is bought and meals are looking very solid. From our trip chef

Breakfasts
Costco Muffins some mornings
Cereal other mornings
Maybe bagels too
OJ every morning

Lunches
Buffet style
Ham, turkey, and roast beef
Pepper Jack and cheddar
Hoagies, pita, or wraps
sprouts and romaine
Mustard and mayo
Variety of chips

Dinners
Friday - Cheeseburgers, etc.
Saturday - Tortillini with chicken and Sundried Tomato Alfredo
Sunday - Rice and Bean Burritos, with chips and salsa
Monday - BBQ Beef sandwiches, etc.
Tuesday - Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowls with red beans, Rumbi style
Wednesday - Spagetti with meat sauce

We decided to only plan through Moab. We'll restock in Moab for Thurs and Friday meals.

i'll post a few pics of the drawers after lunch when I get my camera from home. Here is one of the trip decal taken with my crappy camera phone.
dmc

Attachments

• ATT2893331.jpg
    ATT2893331.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

dmc

Adventurer
ready to go

This 80 belongs to Unsprung 80 on this board. He got the roofrack on last week.

Attachments

• prepped80.JPG
    prepped80.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 116

dmc

Adventurer
drawer pics

here you go... nothing special. some wood. some carpet. some tie downs. can't believe how much they hold. :box:

Attachments

• IMG_0176 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0176 (Small).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0179 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0179 (Small).jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0183 (Small).jpg
    IMG_0183 (Small).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 117

Forum statistics

Threads