the famous rear bumper question.

riverguide

Adventurer
Guys with this dirt road idea getting closer I've really got myself thinking I need a way for gas storage. I'm not a rock crawler type of guy, I'm more of a dirt roads, rough trail(medium rocks, mud, water, dirt, snow, leaves; leave the rock gardens for somebody else). However I am still concerned with protection of. The stock one does a pretty good job of standing up to abuse. It's just a tad low and I'm not for certain that it can hold the weight of a few gas cans(for extended period). I don't really care about a tire carrier. I don't do crazy enough stuff to worry about my tire getting hashed under my car. That being said I've got this stock bumper...stout butttt I'm just not sure for the long haul, as well as ability to hold stuff. It'll hold my weight up ok but i can hang onto the truck. If I was to get a gas can holder or two, I'd need a way of attaching these to the stock bumper configuration. I have of course narrowed it down to two options. Either keep my stock bumper and try to find mounts for gas can holders via ppl here on the site, OR get perhaps a tube bumper..Only thing is I'm not sure how many tube bumpers allow gas can holders. That being said, what do I really have to choose from and are these viable options? Stock bumper and fit gas can holders or tube bumper option...any ideas are acceptable!! Thanks, sorry for the long post! :)

riverguide

Adventurer
yea that's steve schaffer(sp)..I think he stopped making them for ppl. I'll double checkaroo though. Thanks!

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I don't know who made this one....

But I like it!

I'm also considering something like this one day.

In the pic.....I like how it seams that the Steel forms all the way around to the wheels.

Almost becoming a slider as well as a bumper.

It helps to see diff. designs........maybe you could find someone in your area to make one for you by showing them pics of bumpers you like.

riverbank4.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Patrick,

That is another Demello bumper. I have attached a picture of the hinges for your reference.

Attachments

• awning 028.jpg
    awning 028.jpg
    800.1 KB · Views: 102
  • awning 005.jpg
    awning 005.jpg
    747.3 KB · Views: 73

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Scott those are exactly what I needed! In the first pic the depth of the "main" part of the bumper appears to be close to 4". Is that an illusion or am I seeing things.

riverguide

Adventurer
man I'd love to give Demello my money but they don't make, or at least have them on the site, bumpers for 4runners. They have great looking stuff but nothing for me.

Scott Brady

Founder
Patrick,

The main bumper is 4" x 6" sqaure tube. Those hinges are beefy :)

Riverguide,

Jason will build it. He has done several custom bumpers for the 4Runners. :sunflower

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I think for the expense and effort that would be required to safely support fuel can(s) on the stock bumper, you might as well invest that $$ into a custom unit.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Thanks Scott! Never even thought about 4x6. That acutally is going to solve three dilemma's I've been having!

Reasonable prices on that hinge as well. What type of company might have those hinges locally? I don't mind ordering online but I like local vendors as well.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Just something to consider Riverguide...

Are the rear ends of the 4Runner frame boxed steel? On the Tacoma's they are not and thus require re-inforcement prior to putting any real bumper, like Scott's, on the back.

Also, I have been in contact a few times with Sonoran Steel. I really like their rear bumpers. For Tacomas, they don't have a bumper jig built so they need to build it with the truck there (which doesn't work for me). However I believe they said they had a 4Runner jig...

Pete

riverguide

Adventurer
Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm gonna email Jason and see what he says. Maybe he can fix me up.

Pete my frame is boxed so everything should be ok. :) Thanks for the question.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
riverguide said:
man I'd love to give Demello my money but they don't make, or at least have them on the site, bumpers for 4runners. They have great looking stuff but nothing for me.

If you can leave your truck with them in Santa Ana for a few days I'm sure anything is possible :D I love their bumpers and sliders, they are very stout.

The owner of that truck/bumper in your pic is David "Tankota" Hale. I'm sure you could contact him if you have any questions.

http://www.tankota.net/

Last edited:

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
BruceTS on Yotatech has a really nice rear bumper he is going to sell. It is prob. the best 3rd gen 4Runner bumper I have seen.

Look him up too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles