Bradshaw Trail, Dec. 27 or 28

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Bradshaw Trail, Completed December 28

***Edit, see post #12+ for details of the completed trip***

I'm planning to check out the Bradshaw Trail, and explore some of the nearby attractions. I plan to check out Red Canyon, Chuckwalla well, and maybe Chuckwalla springs. I'll be starting and ending my long day in Palm Desert, so I'd like to see the Patton Museum and Corn Spring Wash/Aztec Well when I'm traversing on I-10.

Any suggestions for rock art, scenic areas, etc.? I've already explored the East end of the trail including the geode beds.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Red Canyon is beautiful. I am looking forward to you report, as I plan to hit that route and then the Ehrinburg Road in the spring.

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
Corn Springs has tons of petroglyphs on both the east & west sides of the road before you get into the campground. Pretty impressive.

Chuckwalla spring area may be closed to vehicles depending on time of year. I believe it is set up now as a wildlife waterhole.

The Red Cloud mine has some interesting ruins that are still fairly accessable.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Some great info here!

Sounds like it will be a full day. I better get up before the sun to make sure I have enough time for exploring!

awalter

MountainBiker said:
Some great info here!

Sounds like it will be a full day. I better get up before the sun to make sure I have enough time for exploring!

You'll need a real early start to fit at all in. A nice loop would be Patton Museum, Corn Springs Rd. (this dead ends into wilderness area) in & out, Red Cloud Mine, east on Bradshaw Trail to Chuckwalla Springs & then north thru Red Canyon. The only problem will be the hours of the Museum, it fits either first or last without retracing steps.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
awalter said:
You'll need a real early start to fit at all in. A nice loop would be Patton Museum, Corn Springs Rd. (this dead ends into wilderness area) in & out, Red Cloud Mine, east on Bradshaw Trail to Chuckwalla Springs & then north thru Red Canyon. The only problem will be the hours of the Museum, it fits either first or last without retracing steps.
That is kind of the loop that is shaping up in my mind. The museum is open 9-4:30, so it will have to be at the end of the day, or on another day. While I'm in the area for a few days, I will be exploring Joshua Tree NP and the Painted Canyon hike in the Mecca Hills, so hopefully I can fit the museum into one of those days. Too many places to see!

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
calamaridog said:
Are you driving, riding, peddling, or hoofing it?
Given my sig, I guess I should've made that more clear! Driving the Subaru, with some hoofing thrown in for exploring as time allows.

Bradshaw trail sounds pretty tame, easy for the Subaru, while I expect Red Canyon to be a bit more difficult based on the info in the Backcountry Adventures, Southern California book. Any info of more up to date road conditions would be appreciated.

awalter

awalter said:

I had my directions all screwed up. Go into Corn Springs, come out & take Chuckwalla Rd east to Graham Pass Rd south to Chuckwalla Springs Rd to springs & thru to Augustine Pass. Go east on the Bradshaw Trail if you wish to check out Chuckwalla Well or west to pick up the Gas Line Rd & go north up to Red Cloud Mine Rd east. From Red Cloud Mine come back out & head south on Summit Rd & west again on the Bradshaw trail to Red Canyon Trail north.

Sorry about the screwy directions on my earlier post.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
MountainBiker said:
Bradshaw trail sounds pretty tame, easy for the Subaru, while I expect Red Canyon to be a bit more difficult based on the info in the Backcountry Adventures, Southern California book. Any info of more up to date road conditions would be appreciated.

I was just there a few weeks ago. Other than a possible scrape on the front bumper (there are a few abrupt washouts), your Forester will be perfect for Red Canyon.

Do you have any pictures of your Forester. I am a huge fan of the idea of using these cross-overs for exploration. Maybe even start a thread in the "other" section if you have some time.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
expeditionswest said:
I was just there a few weeks ago. Other than a possible scrape on the front bumper (there are a few abrupt washouts), your Forester will be perfect for Red Canyon.

Do you have any pictures of your Forester. I am a huge fan of the idea of using these cross-overs for exploration. Maybe even start a thread in the "other" section if you have some time.
Thanks for the road info. I'm not afraid of a few scrapes! I've got a sump guard already, and I'm making an AT pan guard and fuel tank guards, since those are two remaining vulnerable areas.

I plan to start just such a thread about my Subaru, but it will probably be after the holidays. I've got some good pictures, I'll just have to dig them up and then figure out how to post them here. I've never owned a semi-offroad capable 4 wheeled vehicle, so it is a new experience for me compared to my years of 2 wheeled exploits. So far the Subaru has been superb for my needs, but I have had to turn around a few times when the roads get too rough. It was capable enough to do the Mojave road last year, before I installed the lift.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Day 1, Berdoo Canyon - Eureka Peak, Joshua Tree NP
I only had a half day, so I got up at 5am, and headed up Berdoo Canyon, then Geology Tour, then up onto Eureka Peak. The day started out drizzly, and by the time I got to Eureka Peak, the wind was blowing about 30 mph. Too bad, because I really wanted to do some hiking up there, but I wasn't prepared for that kind of weather. Here are some pictures.

Middle of Berdoo Canyon:

"Tough" section of Berdoo, was pretty easy at this time:

Geology Tour Road looking West:

Top of Eureka Peak, looking at the Coachella Valley:

FYI, This route would've been fine with a stock Forester on this day. However, when I tried it a few years back, the "tough" section of Berdoo was in much worse shape, and I had to turn around.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Wow, great pictures.

I can't help but smile everytime I see that Forester. The bumper and slightly larger tires, etc. Just perfect.

I often let my mind wander to the idea of an expedition Element. Don't ask me why, but I really dig that little machine (must be the boxy look and rubber floors)

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
Day 2: Corn Springs - Bradshaw Trail - Red Canyon Road
I had all day for this excursion, which would not have been long enough had the wind not been gusting to 50mph! With those conditions, I stayed in the car for most of the trip. I really want to go back when I can do some hiking around Corn Springs and many other cool spots.

Corn Springs Petroglyphs (there are lots more!):

Corn Springs Oasis:

The road to Chuckwalla Springs:

Heading over the pass, South of Chuckwalla Spgs (don't know the name of this pass or road, since it wasn't on my map):

Protected animal watering hole at the base of the pass above, right near the Bradshaw Trail (Chuckwalla Well?):

Heading up Red Canyon Road (the one that follows the ridge to the East of the actual Red Canyon):

A couple shots looking into Red Canyon:

This is my first trip report, so let me know if I'm doing this right! Hopefully these photos will get some other folks to check out this beautiful area.

FYI, this route would be very difficult to do in a stock Subaru Forester without causing some significant scrapes on the front and rear bumper overhangs. The trouble areas are near Chuckwalla Springs and over the pass, and then on Red Canyon Road.

MountainBiker

Experience Seeker
expeditionswest said:
Wow, great pictures.

I can't help but smile everytime I see that Forester. The bumper and slightly larger tires, etc. Just perfect.

I often let my mind wander to the idea of an expedition Element. Don't ask me why, but I really dig that little machine (must be the boxy look and rubber floors)
Hey, I wasn't finished yet! Thanks!

A friend had the Element, and he tried to follow me on some desert roads back when the Forester was stock. He had some trouble with the low hanging gas tank. Only other concern I have with that vehicle is that the GVWR is so low. It has a cavernous cargo area, but ~200 lb less cargo capacity the Forester, IIRC.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94