Thinking of converting one of these....

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
Was googling "slip in truck body" and came across a couple of ideas.

First was to take a slip in unit from Johnson Truck Bodies

http://www.johnsontruckbodies.com/products/slide_ins.asp

It's already insulated and pretty much ready to go, just need to made a door modification to allow it to open from inside or outside, along with adding windows and vents.

The other thought was to use a slip in unit from Vanshield

http://www.vanshield.com/slipin.htm

Looks like a good starting point for a small Expo camper for a pickup truck and still get to keep the truck bed.

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
Finally got an e-mail from Vanshield, they have the same response as all the other places lately, "we'll get you in touch with one of our local distributors" which means they really aren't concerned about selling these things. Had a similar situation with ARE Caps, took several tries to even get a response from ARE or it's "local dealers" and still don't know how much the cap I was looking for costs.

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
I looked at Tufport, way too high a price for what you get. Plus the quality of the two work models I saw was below what I would consider for the money paid for it.

The website pics look great, but in reality, the fit and finish leave lots to be desired.

I did talk to one company about a used slide in refer unit, but they wanted more than top dollar for it, so rule that one out.

greg mgm

Explorer
What is the cost for a Tufport shell?
What were the quality issues?
They sure look like a good idea from the pics.

I looked at Tufport, way too high a price for what you get. Plus the quality of the two work models I saw was below what I would consider for the money paid for it.

The website pics look great, but in reality, the fit and finish leave lots to be desired.

I did talk to one company about a used slide in refer unit, but they wanted more than top dollar for it, so rule that one out.

Finally got an e-mail from Vanshield, they have the same response as all the other places lately, "we'll get you in touch with one of our local distributors" which means they really aren't concerned about selling these things. Had a similar situation with ARE Caps, took several tries to even get a response from ARE or it's "local dealers" and still don't know how much the cap I was looking for costs.

The problem may be that inflation in different parts of the country is so different that they have to price them accordingly. Those sold in CA would be more expensive than say in Montana or another stable, low-growth-rate state where inflation is low. Red Wing does that and allows the stores to price them.

Mamontof

Explorer
Was googling "slip in truck body" and came across a couple of ideas.

Looks like a good starting point for a small Expo camper for a pickup truck and still get to keep the truck bed.

Do not aspect travel Fast and far as aerodynamic like a ONE Huge Brick ....

but great basic idea for local camping !

Cheap shell well insulated , simple install went , glass add kitchen , toilet/shower , bed and joy a camping :ylsmoke:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Bumping this, it's an option. Gave me an idea too, you can get walk in coolers from resturant supply stores, even at auctions. They are modular and built on site. They can be cut with a saber saw and metal blade since they have aluminum skin. Seems like you could just trim it down from the bottom and one end, they are in different heights, just add a floor.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
This is a very valuable thread for me. BI've ben doing drawings with the Johnson unit and would really appreciate additional information from anyone who sees one.

I'm with you. If you value your time at more than a half-a-buck an hour, buying a solid, professionally-engineered readybuilt shell is a real attractive alternative to trying to make one up yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94