Basic Recovery Equipment for a Trail

rionorte

Any suggestions on what I need for a Lone Ranger trail run?

Im talking about basic basic needs (top 5 recovery) for somebody that goes alone on basic trails (fire roads and rated less than 2 trails). I live close to some varying trails, 20 minutes away from some fire roads and Rohwer Flats and Gorman is under 40 minutes. I have the comfortable shoes, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, shovel, cell phone and cb covered.

Because of impromptu time availability, I really cant hook up with someone on the last minute or time of opportunity. But I would like to return home in time to pick up the kids after school and not miss dinner. Thanks. Joe. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

60seriesguy

Adventurer
Do you have a winch on the truck? If you do, I'd suggest dual batteries so you can make a long pull even with the engine off. Complete the kit with extra line (wire or rope, the latter preferably for bulk/weight), a snatch block, a couple of d-rings and a couple of tree savers in case you have to get creative with the angles.

If you don't have a winch, definitely consider a 60" hi-lift jack with two or three sections of 3/8" safety chain equipped with hooks, plus a 100' section of winch rope (extensions are available from most sources) with eyelets at both ends. That should be able to help you extricate yourself.

I don't recommend going out by yourself but I won't be a hypocrite, I've done it too when I lived in AZ. Carry plenty of water even in cold weather, throw a box of Powerbars sealed in a couple of zip-lock bags behind one of the rear cargo sections of the truck, make sure you always have a couple of warm blankets, cold-weather gear, and a way to start a signal fire.

The last bit of advice, which I'm sure you already do, is let people know where you're going, the general vicinity of where you're headed, and after which point to call for help.

If you get stuck, STAY WITH THE TRUCK, don't try to hump it back to civilization unless you're well-prepared, know the area well, are within a reasonable distance, and have maps/a way to orient yourself. I spent a LOT of time looking for lost campers/expedition wheelers in South America and the result wasn't always successful.

rionorte

60seriesguy said:
If you don't have a winch, definitely consider a 60" hi-lift jack with two or three sections of 3/8" safety chain equipped with hooks, plus a 100' section of winch rope (extensions are available from most sources) with eyelets at both ends. That should be able to help you extricate yourself...

Thanks Henry. I will probably do this one until I get some lifts for the arb and winch. Theyre, above quoted items, probably cheaper to start off with too.

The other advice(s) I will take also. Safety in #s. I do make sure somebody knows - thinking of the kids you know. :)

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
My rig is mechanically sound and dont foresee snapping or breaking anything with the trails I will doing at my skill and experience level.

Never put things like that in writing. It is bad luck for sure! If you do not have sliders or bumpers for a high lift you maybe better off with a large come-a-long. Hopefully you have pull point front and rear. A tree saver or 2 and a few d rings. I would also suggest some form of auxilary jumper system i.e. second batt or emergency jumper kit. Some basic hand tools and a repair manual.

For my first trip out years ago this is what I had in my tool box.
Full set of standard and metric combination wrenches
basic rachet/socket set with 1/4 and 1/2 " drives both standard and metric
hammer
RB hammer
chisel
punch
Hack saw
full set of pliers
some straight and phillips screw drivers
snap ring tool
jar of various electrical connecters
extra wire
WD-40
PB blaster
jb weld
Brake fluid
power stering fluid
extra oil filter
5 qt oil
extra air filter
an extra plug and wire
1 20,000# rachet strap
2 small rachet straps
50' 1/2" rope
metric and standard allen wrenches
electrical tape
duct tape
lock tite red
hi temp silicone sealer gasket stuff
Shovel
Jumper cables
2 tree straps
1 20' strap
1 30' strap
4 d rings
60" highlift
leather gloves
latex gloves
bag of kitty litter (For spill clean ups)
empty bucket w lid (good for storing contaminated kitty litter/soil)
extra u joint
upper and lower radiator hose
extra belts
tire plug kit
cigarettte lighter tire inflator pump

As I say that is what I packed for my first off road trip and that was with a club. As it turned out Most of my stuff got used because a guy in the group rolled his jeep 6 times down a hill. We didn't expect that to happen either. There were alot of veterans but out of 24 rigs I was the only noob, and the only one with tools and stuff go figure. 1.5 hours later it was drove out. We repaired radiator, axle, frame, suspension, body, tires, and more with what I had.

Now my mandatory list is quite a bit bigger but that is a good basic start. never put yourself in a situation where you can't get back because you don't have a $5 whatever.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I have done ALOT of solo exploring in CA, CO, AZ, and a few other states. Trail difficulty varied from improved dirt roads to ~ 3.5 (1-5 scale). The biggest fear I always had was my vehicle not starting after I shut it off to take a break, eat lunch, etc. My old chevy left me sitting on 3 occasions (one time was out in the middle of the Mojave Desert). You just can't know for sure. So, here are my suggestions.

Carry enough food/water/gear to survive for several days to several weeks....depending on your location. If you are going somewhere that sees alot of weekend use (for example, Miller Jeep trail) on a Friday morning....there is 99% chance that someone else will be on that trail within 24 hours. There is little risk of being stranded for weeks if your vehicle breaks down. On the other hand, if you are driving over El Camino Del Diablo on a Monday...you might have to wait for a few days, possibly a few weeks before you see another person.

Keep the trails mild. Less risk of becoming stuck beyond the hope for a self recovery (you already mentioned the trails you will be on are mild---good start). Carry a shovel, pick, jacks, etc to dig yourself out of trouble.

Let someone know where you are going, and when you will be back...and a range of error. For example send a friend a E-mail:

"Hey Fred, I'm going out exploring for a few days. I plan on running Titus canyon, stopping in at Scotty's castle on the way to Ubehebe crater and the Race Track. From there I will be going down Lippencott mine trail, up over steel pass and checking out the Dedeckera sand dunes before getting back on pavement in Big Pine. I'll be back late on Wednsday. If you don't hear from my by Friday morning---send help".

By giving a range of error, you can cover yourself if you decide to spend a extra day or two w/o raising alarm, but still know that help will be coming in a day or two if $#!t hits the fan.

One of the most important things though...familiarize yourself with the area, and navigation. Be able to read maps w/o using a GPS. If things get really bad (in a remote area 2 days into a 3 week trip....with no one sending help for another 3 weeks), you may need to walk out. You need to know where to walk to!

There is a [obvious] inherent risk to travelling alone. But personally, the rewards can be well worth the risks. Just do what you can to minimize those risks while maximizing the rewards.

rionorte

Thanks Nullifier. Got rid of that you know what in my post.

I have alot of respect for the members here and advices and equipment suggestions will be heeded. I have learn to use the 4x4 sites and forums to textbook learn. But you guys know its by doing it you find out what works and what doesnt.

Expeditionary is my ultimate goal albeit it will be limited to the borders of the US. Maybe if I win the lotto or something I can experience getting to other countries and continents with a 4x4 like some people here.

I will be sticking to trails that are <2 rated and popular - so it will not be isolated as mentioned above. Just taking baby steps - need to learn how capable I am and learn my vehicle in navigating through terrain that are not painted with white or yellow stripes. I am hoping by next year me and my rig are ready for group runs or expeditions.

Thanks! Joe :)

Scott Brady

Founder
I bring the Tirford style hand winch along with me when I travel in the Trooper. It is a light weight recovery device perfect for the milder trails I do in that truck.

hand_winch_cover.jpg

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/general_equipment/black_rat_winch.htm

I also bring along the Black Rat recovery kit from Extreme Outback Products

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/general_equipment/black_rat_recovery.htm

LostSol

ive seen that black rat hand winch, looks like a good stepping stone up to a winch. how would it be pulling a tacoma out of pretty deep mud, or water?
would you recomend getting one as my primary means of recovery for the time being? I dont really roam very far from home to often, and theres always other trucks in the area.

Scott Brady

Founder
The Black Rat is available in a few different sizes. I really like the smaller unit I have, and have been able to pull my Jeep up a 3' tall berm. Pretty good resistance. With a pully block the effectiveness is even greater.

robert

Expedition Leader
I used to do a good bit of solo travel myself as it was hard to find folks who could take off when I wanted to go. Several things I would add to the above are (in no particular order- just off the top of my head):
  • road flares (excellent for starting fires when your hands are cold or the wood is wet plus they are really visible at night); if you are going to carry aerial flares get the handheld pop kind (unless you really want the gun style for some reason- the 12 gauge style doesn't have much range)
  • a signal mirror (takes up very little room and can be used to shave with, check for ticks etc).
  • more than one way to start a fire
  • extra fuel
  • wooden peg (to plug fuel tank if needed)
  • tarp (reflective on one side)
  • extra flashlight and batteries
  • map and old fashioned compass
  • synthetic sleeping bag or wool blanket in the cab of the truck! This was so that if I slid off the road or was unable to get out of the cab for some reason (injury?) I could stay warm while waiting for help. There have been folks freeze in their vehicles waiting for help.
  • Water and food in the cab of the truck for the same reason as above
  • extra can opener (I carry a regular one and a P38)

secure everything in the passenger compartment that could become airborn in the event of a wreck or "incident" (this should always be done anyways)

paulj

Expedition Leader
At certain times of the year, a pair or two of snowshoes wouldn't be a bad idea. There's a news item today about a family that was stranded in their RV by 4 ft of snow in the south coastal mountains of Oregon (3800 ft). After surviving on dry food and such for two weeks, two members managed to hike out and get help. From what I saw on a NW TV report, the hike would have been much easier with snowshoes (or skis).

paulj

articulate

Expedition Leader
WOW!

How did I miss this one? This could go on for pages.....

By all means, I totally agree with Robert up there.

Coming from a guy who's been ******-you-see-kayed (need a translation?) all by his lonesome in the wild, I'll say this: If you're going to go solo, go with someone else with a second vehicle. :)))

But I understand that afternoon mid-week itch when no one is available and, frankly, the idea of being out there alone is nearly 100% of the draw....
Seriously, I tend to think that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - or, rather, a thousand pounds of recovery equipment and gear. Stack those odds in your favor, not with equipment but with your choices: the trail you drive, the proximity to help, cool-headed driving, and so forth.

Breaking down is a different animal to cope with in the wild, and more important to address than "getting stuck". Because when you are alone, and if your vehicle really is useless by being broken or stuck, your life becomes far more important. So you've got to be some place where you accept the notion of walking to get help if needed. If you're within cell phone reception, all the better.

Of the times it's happend to me while a-solo-ing, I'd have happily traded my left testicle for a shorter walk or a phone reception.

Mark

ldivinag

Adventurer
if you have a winch, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE...

you dont know how many winches i see on the trail withi the wire still wound like they came from the factory.

or the basics of it. one guy i saw still had the rubber band holding the end of the cable onto the drum. when i asked where his hook was, he left it as home. he just finished installing it last nite... sigh...

also, dont assume you will have another vehicle, tree, rock, whatever, to winch from!!!!!!

at least learn how to bury your spare tire (you do have one... right?) and using that as a winch point.

practice using your accessories. the snatch block. the d-shackle. the tree strap. and make sure you have the remote accessible!!!!!!!!!!!! (or go wheeling with people who makes the same remote as yours... dont ask me why... been there... done that... at the worse time...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior