HAM/Amateur off-road radio classes (AZ)

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
A buddy of mine is going to be throwing a class together very soon in Scottsdale, AZ for the purpose of getting people to pass their FCC tech licenses. No cost, we just need to buy the guy some dinner. It'll be the next coming week or so.

I /highly/ recommend becoming a Ham and learning more about radio, plus have a world of radio bands and power legally opened up to you. Post back here if interested. It is invaluable off road and puts CB/FRS simply to shame.

l8r,

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info!

I am interested please let me know when you have more information.
I am right on the Scottsdale/Phx border so could easily attend.

Thanks again
Brian

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I think a few folks from this last trip may want to get in on that. If I lived closer, I would just to get some refresher info.

Pskhaat

I was putting together something for a few more folks in the valley here. I found irony in the fact that people would only want the best for their rigs but rely on CB/FRS for their sole communication when not in mobile phone range.

I have a buddy locally who is kind of my `elmer' or radio guru who helped me pass my FCC test. The test is actually not that hard once someone just explains a few things.

Anyway, he & I both work in the same office in Old Town Scottsdale and I was trying to get something together this week (prior to the FCC test on the 21st). Planning to meet a few people at an outside restaurant, or pizza place and just go through questions and theory, and gear it to off-roading and passing the FCC test. I find interest and theory and practice to come during PLAYing with equipment and stuff, not BEFORE the ability to so do that.

Let's try and firm up a few headcount, and I'll ensure my buddy is available (he's a slight touch on the SUV-hating side, but only for those who don't use theirs for what they were intended, I'll make sure to keep is rhetoric in check :) He's a VERY smart guy.

Pskhaat

If Wednesday doesn't work (it IS short notice) maybe we can try to do something early December too, let me know what may be best.

Pskhaat

Date update

Okay folks, looks like this may be best to postpone 'till early December or very late November post-Thanksgiving. This will give time to some non-PHX folks to join as well.

We're planning this at the Scottsdale Civic Center Library http://library.scottsdaleaz.gov/atmylibrary/loc.htm#civic . I will reserve a room and bring materials. I'll see if they allow pizza, etc. too.

I will reply back with the date & time.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Scott
Postponing is probably best and will allow for more schedule planning and more attendees. Where is the best source for finding out where and when to take the test?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Ha Ha,

For most of the thread I thought I may be in Phoenix tonight! Anyway, keep us aware of the date, as it's always been something I've been interested in, but never took the time!

-H-

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
pskhaat said:
(he's a slight touch on the SUV-hating side, but only for those who don't use theirs for what they were intended, I'll make sure to keep is rhetoric in check :) He's a VERY smart guy.

Hey! My BMW "SUV" gets 42mpg! :D

(Of course, my Toyota gets 11..... :rolleyes: )

-H-

GeoRoss

Adventurer
Chuck lent me his study guide book. I have now gone through it once. I am going to sign up for the test that is offered down here in Tucson 1st week in December. I think reading parts of it again I should be able to pass no problem. I may tank on some of the more electronic/antenna questions, but this book has all the pool questions, so I can just memorize those.

Ross

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne