Newbie Question-searched already

mightymike

Adventurer
I would like to know if the electronic rear locker is available in the '07 Tacoma double cab 4wd. Is it part of the TRD or TRD Sport package? I've gotten two different answers from two dealers and the sales brochure is confusing..... I am waiting on an email reply from Toyota. I really liked the lockers on my Jeep Rubicon, I just need more room. I assume that ARB makes an air locker if it is not available from the factory. Thanks in advance. And no satellite radio option from Toyota?

Mike

Scott Brady

Founder
No worries on asking newbie questions here.. :sombrero:

TRD Package: Rear Electric Locker

TRD Sport: Rear Limited Slip

mightymike

Adventurer
Thanks Scott-Based on this forum and the info on your great website, I think the Tacoma will make a great choice for our next vehicle.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Welcome aboard, Mike!:luxhello:

I don't own a Taco but from the great builds I've seen on this forum...many I've actually had a chance to see up close & personal...the Taco is a superb platform for exploring. It would be a great choice IMO.

Best wishes!
:sombrero:
Ed

mightymike

Adventurer
Thanks Ed-It's looking like a good choice for us as well.

Toyota still hasn't responded to my email.....If I am reading everything correctly, I cannot get an '07 Tacoma 4WD double cab long bed with the TRD package that has a locker. I'm leaning toward an SR5 model and putting in an ARB locker in the rear, unless someone knows better than me about ordering options.

It's really the same situation as when I ordered my Rubicon: None of the salespeople know very much about their product. One told me that I could get a 6 speed manual in a 4WD double cab long bed, but I know that is not possible.

Thanks-

Scott Brady

Founder
mightymike said:
If I am reading everything correctly, I cannot get an '07 Tacoma 4WD double cab long bed with the TRD package that has a locker. I'm leaning toward an SR5 model and putting in an ARB locker in the rear, unless someone knows better than me about ordering options.

Get the SR5. A TRD with the locker is not available with the D-Cab long-bed, just the TRD sport.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Get the SR5. A TRD with the locker is not available with the D-Cab long-bed, just the TRD sport.

Gemerally speaking a non trd axle is stronger. If it were me I would get the TRD sprot and ad an arb locker. Before every one starts witht he no warranty thing Toyota of dallas adds all the arb stuff with no warranty elimination.

Chris from campa just picked up his new 07 Taco with full arb make over from them. Front and rear lockers, suspension etc. He did go with demello front bumper but if I remember correctly The guys at toyota of dallas actually installed it and the winch. Might be worth flying out to dallas to pick up a new truck from those guys. I know that's where I'm getting my Fj next....oops I mean this year!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
TRD Off Road = E-Locker, V6 only, no hood scoop, upgraded TRD seats/interior, short bed only in DC, 400W power inverter, foglights

TRD Sport= Limited Slip, V6 only, hood scoop, color keyed grille, mirrors, door handles, upgraded TRD seats/interior, either short or long bed option in DC, 400W power inverter, foglights

SR5 (non TRD)= no locker/LS that I am aware of, V6 or 4cyl option, basic trim, basic seats/interior, either short or long bed option in DC

I went with the TRD Off Road for the locker, and the TRD seats are probably the best seats available in ANY pickup so that was a major selling point for me. The DC long beds are as long as a school bus and that could be a trail issue IMO.

Last edited:

mightymike

Adventurer
Thanks again for all the information. It might be worth flying to Dallas to work with a dealer who knows what they are doing. So far the ones around here seem pretty clueless.

Right now I'm leaning toward an SR5 so I can get the 4WD LB DC in the the color I like the best ( mica sand?) and get a rear locker installed.

I just went through this process about 18 months ago when I ordered my Jeep Unlimited Rubicon-finding out everything I could before making the purchase. The Jeep was great, but tough to live with as a daily driver and pretty limited (space) for camping/hunting/fishing with a family. The utility of a 4 door, 4wd truck combined with the great reputation of Toyota seems pretty hard to beat.

I'll keep everyone posted-

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles