Quickup Camper

Scott Brady

Founder
Interesting solution. This was posted on exp. campers by outbackcamper, but I thought it would be good for some discussion here:

I like the all-weather nature of the solution and hard-sides. It would be good to see one up close to determin how robust it is.

Quickup Camper

foldout.jpg

sidecutout4.jpg

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
CLynn85 said:
...wonder how well it'll catch on?

Well it seems like there is just the one prototype that has been around since at least 2002, if not earlier. So I would say that it has not attracted too much interest from potential manuacturers. While I really like the general concept, the market for this type of very compact camper is probably pretty limited and the profit margins must be pretty slim. I think most people prefer the huge overweight campers with queen size beds, showers, satellite dishes etc, etc, etc. Those ,like many on this site, who appreciate more compact and basic facilites for camping typically don't have or want a full size long box truck.

Too bad, beacause I think the concept has potential.

Cheers
Mark

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Reminds me of the A-Liner. I wonder how well the seals hold up under repeated use and bed tweaking.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Reminded me of the A Liner too. Their website doesn't show that they are making it anymore though. Sounds like it didn't go over very well.

I thought it looked rather awkward on a truck when closed and frustrating with its sloped roof, when opened. I was considering one when I first started looking at slide in options, but then I read a nicely detailed review of the A Liner Truck Cabin here, and decided it was not for me.

The Quickup roof lines are a much better compromise for a hard side, slide-in offering.

jcbrandon

Explorer
Interesting concept, impressive prototype

I saw the Quickup camper prototype up close and talked with the inventor over the weekend. Pretty interesting bit of kit. I think it has great potential for expedition-type-folk. But that market may not be big enough to make it profitable.

The whole thing only weighs about 600 pounds. It's made of a foam and carbon-fiber composite, like a racing yacht. The interior (as built) is basic but way more comfortable than a tent. And you could configure it any way you want.

I think someone who knows the specialty RV market, and already has a solid business, could take it on and make money with it. But creating a business around it might be too much to expect.

The inventor was talking about his struggles in selling the concept to the truck maufacturer (Ford, in this case). I think he isn't considering the much larger potential market as an accessory for people who already own a pickup.

In any case, an interesting idea. And an even more interesting fellow. The inventor is Jay Baldwin. He is a big fan of Buckminster Fuller and wrote the book "Bucky Works: Buckminster Fuller's ideas for Today."

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Looks very heavy and awkward to me (and almost as ugly as a flip-pac.) It also looks like it would have very limited utility when the truck was not being used as a camper. I'm guessing it is/was expensive, too.

I just don't see the market for something like this. It's still too small to satisfy the queen bed/satellite TV/full shower requirements of a luxury traveler, and it's way too big/heavy/complicated/expensive to appeal to a cheap SOB/Adventure traveler like me. :D

Like the Wildernest or the Flip-Pac this falls in between the target markets making this very much a niche market product.

VikingVince

Explorer
Martinjmpr said:
(and almost as ugly as a flip-pac.) .

HEY...you gotta explain that one!...LOL :hehe:

Seriously, I am curious...no problem here with personal differences in taste!...but I think the flippac is a great design....(I guess the Earthroamer folk thought so as well) :)

Regarding this unit, I hadn't seen it before...nice try at a hard-sided pop-up. Chalet RV has introduced a hard-sided popup truck camper (the Oregon Camper -only one in that industry) but I don't know how well it's been received, plus it's wide, heavy, and not really well suited for offroading. www.chaletrv.com
I'd prefer a small, light, well designed hard-sided popup...wouldn't a nida-core popup be feasible? Anyway, this one looks good when it's closed, but when it's open it's definitely uglier than a flippac!:D :D

Clutch

<---Pass
VikingVince said:
I'd prefer a small, light, well designed hard-sided popup...wouldn't a nida-core popup be feasible? Anyway, this one looks good when it's closed, but when it's open it's definitely uglier than a flippac!:D :D

Too bad trays aren't popular in the States. If yawl can find beauty in a simple box, I know I do. :) Vince it shouldn't too hard to make one like this out of Nida-Core. I have been thinking of putting a tray on my Tacoma, use tool boxes as the sides with the Wildernest on top.

I really like this one. Slide on/Flippac/Wildernest. Looks roomy inside.

http://www.trayon.com/

19.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:

VikingVince

Explorer
Kermit said:
Vince it shouldn't too hard to make one like this out of Nida-Core.

Probably not...but what I meant was that the popup sides would be nida-core as well, resulting in a low profile, completely hardsided camper. Or maybe you were suggesting replacing the popup canvas with nida-core.

Clutch

<---Pass
VikingVince said:
Or maybe you were suggesting replacing the popup canvas with nida-core.

Yep, That is what I like about the Wildernest, the soft top, big screens. Very airy. I try to park with a "view" so I can look out from the bed. ;)

I am sure a nida-core FWC type shell could be made also.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
VikingVince said:
HEY...you gotta explain that one!...LOL :hehe:

Seriously, I am curious...no problem here with personal differences in taste!...but I think the flippac is a great design....(I guess the Earthroamer folk thought so as well) :)

At least the Wildernest made some attempt to conform with the shape of the truck. The Flip-Pac is all straight lines, even on the sides. It ends up looking like something that Billy Bob fabricated with plywood.

The thing to remember is that a shell that mods into a camper still needs to be able to function as a shell when you aren't camping.

I think a simpler idea like a basic fiberglass shell with a pop-up roof would still be a better solution than what's out there but apparently that's a minority view, so I'll probably end up with a high-rise shell instead. Still a compromise but not as expensive nor as complex as some of these other ideas.

VikingVince

Explorer
Martinjmpr said:
At least the Wildernest made some attempt to conform with the shape of the truck. The Flip-Pac is all straight lines, even on the sides. It ends up looking like something that Billy Bob fabricated with plywood.

Maybe we're getting a little off-topic here but I guess it's related. Unless they're into camping/offroading like we are and know the product, the vast majority of people I've talked to think the flippac is just a regular truck shell. Interesting reaction though...the straight sides of the flippac have never bothered me...different stroked for different folks. :)

Martinjmpr said:
The thing to remember is that a shell that mods into a camper still needs to be able to function as a shell when you aren't camping.

?????...That's exactly how the flippac functions. With a flippac, the interior of the truck bed functions the same as a shell when you're not camping. (with all the same amount of space as a shell).

Clutch

<---Pass
Vince you could do something like this out of Nida-Core...just less bulbus, and more angular. Don't the Aussies have the coolest rigs? I think the tray systems are the way to go, very modular. Slide on the camper for weekend/weeek excursions, then have just the tray for hauling during the regular work week. Could do a plain topper shell, if your needs require it, or heck I'll bet you could slide on a Jacuzzi for tailgate parties...now that would be cool!

Oh and by the way, I like the Quick Up camper, simple design, doesn't look like a camper when down.

http://www.innovan.com.au/ There are a bunch of videos in there, showing how it works, plus action footage, you can see how the vehicle handles the load.

17.jpg

16.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94