Expedition Trophy and Rally Pictures and Vids

Scott Brady

Founder
Thank you all for the most memorable event. I cannot tell you how much fun it was for me to meet you all.

Special Thanks to the sponsors:

Pangaea Expeditions- Title Sponsor
Expeditions West- Title Sponsor
Extreme Outback Products
LB Maps
Via Tierra
Legendary Land Cruisers

Here are the Results! (Note: 14 trucks participated)

Navigation Section: A 12 waypoint navigation challenge from task to task under 90 minutes.
1. Chuck (Ursadae69) Tacoma Note: All waypoints and nearly 20 minutes under time)
2. Pasquale and Kristina, Tacoma (DesertDude and DesertGirl)
3. Ed, FJ40 (DaktariEd)

Technical Driving: Several vehicle awareness challenges, including passenger side tire obstacles and a recovery special task.
1. Scott Jensen (PSKHAAT) FZJ80 Note: Placed in three of the four events, fastest time on the log pull.
2. Ed, FJ40 Note: Perfect score on the rear tire course.
3. Pasquale

Driving: Timed sand course with two water crossings
1. Scott Jensen Note: First place in the closed course 1:08:55
2. Jeff Scott (jeffryscott) 1:09:36 4cyl Suzuki Vitarra!
3. Chuck 1:21:87

Overall Results for the first annual Expedition Trophy:

1. Scott: FZJ80
2. Chuck: 2004 Tacoma Xtra-Cab
3. Ed: 1979 FJ40
4. Pasquale and Kristina: 2004 Tacoma Xtra-Cab
5. Jeff: Suzuki Vitarra

Winner of the bonus questions: GeoRoss!

I could not be more proud of the sportsmanship and great competitive spirit of all in attendance.

Congratulations, Scott Jensen, our 2005 Expedition Trophy Champion! :clapsmile

Last edited:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
It was really a fantastic event!
As I mentioned to many of you, I am mostly a go-it-alone kind of guy. This was my first group event and it was terrific! :victory:
Thanks to everyone who planned, participated, attended and just made it a really great weekend!

See you all again sometime!

Ed :D

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
thanks again Scott

It was in incredible weekend, as I sat bored at work Sunday night I kept thinking of how fun it was.

Thanks Scott and everyone for making it so fun. I met some great people, had a great time and learned a lot.

Can't wait for another gathering,

Jeff

Scott, don't forget to send me the postal address and I'll drop CDs in the mail for you.

Scott, thank you so much for a most excellent weekend! The planned events were great, I really got to know the GPS! The trails were divine, the weather perfect, and the moon was picture perfect. And we all ate great!

It was wonderful getting to meet everyone and hanging by the fire telling stories.

I also loved the camp dogs~~so well behaved.

I'll never cut firewood again without thinking of Vince and "the log."

And thanks to Chris, Sharon, Steph, Brian and Andrew for all the help.

Can't wait for the next adventure!!

Happy Trails y'all!!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Scott, again....Great Job amigo! I'm sure we all had fun. I managed to get the jeep cleaned up, but still haven't seen any of the pics I took.

On a sad note, I took Cherokee to the vet this morning to have her knee looked at. The results are not good. Major surgery is required to repair the damage. She is loaded up on pain killers and anti-inflammitory drugs for now, while I decide how to proceed. The up side is that she has not lost any of her spirit, she is just moving a little slower and is somewhat restricted on what she can do.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I would like to hear the full story of finding Al and Brian in the dark! :eek:

Dang!...........That could have been me!......hehe

GeoRoss

Adventurer
We had a great time. The girls were so disappointed that I didn't win anything. Now I get to tell them I did win the Bonus Questions. They will be soooo excited.

Thanks to Scott and Chris and all the other helpers for a super great time. I hope we can do it again.

Ross

ps, sorry to hear about Cherokee, she is such a sweet dog. I hope it turns out ok.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Wow Brian (goodtimes) I hope Cherokee comes out ok.
Coincidentally Oliver spent a few hours at the Vet yesterday as well.
When we got home Sunday morning he would not put any weight on either of his back legs
and by Monday morning he did not want to move.
Took him to the vet and x-rays show no skeletal damage so no broken bones or dislocations which is a great thing.
But the vet thinks that all symptoms point to Lyme Disease, Tic Fever or Valley Fever.
We will get the tests back in 2-5 days. All of the exertion from the action packed weekend along with sleeping in the cold could have taxed his immune system just enough to let something that was lying dormant get the upper hand.
So its either one of those or some extremely sore muscles and tendons.

Funniest thing was to see the x-rays. Apparently Oliver ate a bunch of rocks during the trip, his gut is full of them.
Oliver's new nickname is RockGut!!

Best of luck to Cherokee

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I'll reiterate my thanks to everyone and let you know again I had a GREAT time. I would love to do more and love to head out with everyone on some trek again soon.

I hope everyone's dogs get much better! My 80-lbs dalmation was pretty angry when I got home that I didn't take him.

Now let's see some good pictures :)

pangaea

Adventurer
Glad to hear that everyone had a great time, with the exception of the dogs, who appear to collectively have had a rough weekend.

In the meantime. How 'bout some pics, so those of us who couldn't go can live vicariously through those of you lucky enough to make it.

:lurk:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Where to start??....

This was a lot of fun, kudos to Scott for the hard work in putting such a large event together. :clapsmile :clapsmile The pulled pork and cajun BBQ sauce were awesome man!

Sorry to hear about the dogs, I hope it all works out for both.

The Navigation Section was a lot of fun! For two years during my master's thesis work, I drove to and hiked to hundreds of points with my GPS that were randomly generated for my work. I have that down pretty well and I knew I'd be competetive in that event. Having topo lines on the GPS really helped too because I could tell coming up to a point where it was going to be, especially the point on top of the mesa. I could see which side of the mesa top and it was on and I could focus on sprinting up the hill. It was a ton of fun!

The sand course was also a lot of fun. I pushed the truck hard through the sand and nearly ran KC down as he tried to get a photo! Sorrry KC! It was fun watching you run in terror though! :p If I hadn't blown the one far corner and needed to back up, I might have made the shorter wheelbase guys sweat more!

The technical driving section was a real eye opener. I never really think much about where the rear tires go and it showed in my results. It was a lot of fun and educational.

The trails on Saturday and Sunday after the events were really gorgeous. Much of the areas in Bloody basin and south have been raveged by fire and it made for a very patchy and unique landscape.

My only disappointment for the trip was smoking my clutch so badly on that optional hill climb on Sunday. I obviously need to regear and need to get out in 4-low more to hone my skills.

I didn't take many photos, but looking through mine I really liked one of my sunset shots from Friday evening.

DSCF1249a.jpg

It was great meeting the new folks and seeing some of my old friends again. Everyone was great and again, Thanks Scott. :jump:

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Congratulations everyone on the Trophy and Rally wins - and for everyone who participated. Sounds like you had way too much fun! Wish we could have been there.

What happened to Cherokee? - how sad!

And someone do tell the story of the wild goose chase?

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, Before this story gets too terribly out of hand I'll just clarify a few things for the record.
This involved Al, Brian and Oliver the dog
A Toyota Tacoma and a Land Rover Discovery, both modified for the trail.
A Five hour overland trek between Hwy 60 and Hwy 17
Dead-end tracks
Cows
A RAGING river
Darkness, flashlights, a winch, snorkel, lockers, probing pole, high-powered spotlights,
Drivers wading in the river, A driver swimming in the river, A dog swimming in the river
Wet clothes
Thick nasty mud, 2M and CB radios, GPS, Topo maps, a full moon with cloud cover.
Steep off-camber trails with some wheel-in-the-air action and huge holes that look like they will swallow your rig whole
A silty river bottom that gave way
Multiple water crossings
Headlights under water
Another Toyota Tacoma and a Jeep Wrangler
Hunger
A thirst for cold beer and smooth tequila
Good friends

There, that information should keep things from getting blown out of proportion :elkgrin:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
BIG Thanks to Scott, Chris and company for hosting a fine event!

It is always great to match the faces to the handles and the trucks to the people.

Special thanks:

Vince for playing his songs on the last night up at Crown King, and letting me back him up on guitar around the birthday boys campfire ;)

To all the movie buffs who new all the lines to the movies, and a special nod to KC for making me laugh till my sides ached and my eyes teared - on the Joe dirt references.

Geoross for a demo of GPS pro

Ursidae69 for the Tarantula demonstration - " I really do not like spiders, says Chuck"

Brushing up on bonus questions for next year - and installing a super charger for the sand course :ar15:

Funniest quote of the weekend : "Eat through the pain" Scott Brady :eatchicke

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Thanks again to Scott and everybody for putting on a great weekend. I am sorry that I was not able to stick around for Sunday nights festivities, but the boy had homework and wanted to get home to do it. Too bad I did not win anything, but the nice gifts for every participant was awesome and very thoughtful. Brian, you forgot to mention the Trooper that was initially sent out to aid in yours and Al's rescue, but was determined that it would not be successful in the water crossing. The BBQ pork was outstanding along with the home made sauces, which I did try both, but the pain was overwhelming to be able to eat anymore :D And the beer was flowing to freely that first night.

Everybody missed me cussing Scott out on that side trail off of Bloody Basin Rd. as I kept hitting the underside of my truck with what sounded to me like fairly large rocks. That and the cringing from all of the bushes that add a few extra pin stripes. But the Trooper made it out pretty much unscathed and I realized that it was a great time and a test to my ever expanding driving abilities. that and seeing the Deliverance clan near the end of that trail still makes me laugh. I can hear the banjo's playing now as I am reminiscing.

So, Scott, when can I make an appointment for you to come down and detail my truck? A couple of the pinstripe placements I am not too fond of and want them removed :hehe:

Anyway, a great time and thanks again for putting this on. Maybe next time I will actually win something :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne