$200 GPS V @ Cabelas

k6uk

Adventurer
These make a good backup GPS (they are a bit slow I am told) - but they come with City Select software, so if you use the software on another unit along with this one it might be a great deal. Also - since Garmin has now discontinued City Select, I wonder if they will upgrade you to City Navigator if you buy this refurb just like the GPS-18?

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to run City Navigator on this unit though since the map sizes are larger and this unit has limited memory - City Select has smaller maps.

One thing in the ad copy caught my attention:
Garmin has upgraded the software for the GPS V and will now include the City Select CD-ROM. City Select has enhanced routing capabilities over the City Navigator.
City Navigator is the more advanced software, not City Select... so maybe they got this backwards??

I just did some checking. On ebay the same unit is being sold, factory refurbished for a few bucks less:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-DELUXE-G...289QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270075892841
The interesting part is that it includes the upgrade to Version 8 maps - which is City Navigator.
So... if you were buying a GPS where you need to buy City Navigator seperately for $120 - like the 276c for example. You could spend a couple extra bucks and have a nice backup GPS & the software - since Garmin lets you use its software on up to two units.

-Mike

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne