Lockers with stock axles on a d2

BLUEGRASSMAN

Observer
I've run a detroit in the rear of my 04 D2 since the summer of 2008 with no problems. Im running 265/75 Goodyear duratrac's with a 2 inch rte lift. Its all armored up (sliders, front and rear bumpers, 12000lb winch with steel cable) so its pretty heavy. Drove it to Moab and back from NC in September 2008. Wheeled it like the devil and didn't break an axle. Went up Moab rim...dragging the truck through every obstacle. Every once in a while the rear detroit will unlock and make a loud bang when in reverse and turning hard. It sets off all the abs and srs light on the dash. turn truck off and back on .....all lights go away.

I think the material the shafts are made of in D2's are much stronger than that in D1's.

I have been very happy with my set up overall. The front axle is currently open diff but the traction control seems to operate the front axle pretty well. Will more than likely add an arb air locker to the front at some point.

I'm going to Uwharrie in april......so we will see how the rear shafts hold up to the extra ponies since the cammed up 4.6 build.

Justin

muskyman

Explorer
That's the first I've heard of that. What's your source?

Yes the stock DII shafts are much stronger then the stock D1 shafts.

Many people have run the stock DII shafts for a long long time with lockers without failure, but as Walter pointed out when they do let go they often take the detroit with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

LandRoverHyter

Adventurer
Yes the stock DII shafts are much stronger then the stock D1 shafts.

Many people have run the stock DII shafts for a long long time with lockers without failure, but as Walter pointed out when they do let go they often take the detroit with them.

The same with an arb or just the Detroit?
Thanks for all the info guys!

Roverhound

Adventurer
The same with an arb or just the Detroit?
Thanks for all the info guys!

The ARB being a selectable locker would theoretically be easier on your shafts. That being said, the situations that would break an axle with a Detriot will break an axle with an ARB.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
and don't forget, it is semi-floating, not a full floater rear axle setup, so the time involved to fix is greater as well

BLUEGRASSMAN

Observer
That's the first I've heard of that. What's your source?

Mainly experience, Ive broken a handfull of factory shafts in a D1 and D90 from stock to full mod, but I have never broken a D2 shaft and have flogged it pretty good. Time will tell but with the shafts being fairly relative in size and spline count, I would imagine the metallurgical properties of the D2 shafts are better, or shall I say improved, over that of the D1 or D90.

Justin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior