Kayak Instruction

cinemakatie

Last summer I got into kayaking in Dayton, Ohio. I have mostly done flat water and a little bit of movie water. I know that Colorado is an awesome place to kayak, but I'm probably a class II, and everything I've found is either flat open water, or class IV and V whitewater. Does anyone have any recommendations of somewhere to go kayaking in maybe a class II or III river with minimal rapids?

Also, I took several instructional courses but have not learned how to roll yet. Is there anywhere in Denver that offers lessons for a reasonable price?

Katie

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
The Colorado River below Hoover Dam is pretty spectacular. I went there the first time in 2005. I might try some sections of the Rio Grande or Chama Rivers here in northern NM when I get brave enough to try some white water. I can't see me ever trying anything above a class II.

pwc

Explorer
are you only looking for Colorado locations?
Oregon and Washington have a lot of stuff in that middle range.

TeleScooby

Adventurer
If you're up for some traveling...I'm a former class II/III boater in Seattle. There are a ton of options out here!

cinemakatie

I'm mostly looking for instruction in the Denver area. This summer, I'd love to do some traveling and check out some stuff in Utah, Oregon, and Washington. My boyfriend has a friend living in the Pacific Northwest so we might be tempted to do some paddling out there!

Katie

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
The Colorado River from Cisco into Moab is pretty milk-run with obviously great surroundings.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Confluence Kayaks offers Tuesday sessions at the U. of Denver pool. If you have your own gear, it's $10 to practice. If you want lessons that's like $35. As for places to go boating, that's really season dependent. But hook up (as in join) with American Whitewater. My wife is a member and they have trips all the time. In fact a few of my buddies have taught classes thru AW, typically they'll run stuff like the Arkansas from Stone Bridge down to Salida as a Class II class in the summer. Let me know if I can help with anything more specific.

cinemakatie

Thanks for the info; I'm U of Denver student so that will work out. Could you give more information on American Whitewater and how to get involved? Thanks!

Katie

DaveInDenver

cinemakatie said:
Thanks for the info; I'm U of Denver student so that will work out. Could you give more information on American Whitewater and how to get involved? Thanks!

Katie
http://www.americanwhitewater.org
http://www.confluencekayaks.com

I'm not much of a boater, so my info comes mostly second hand from my wife, friends, etc. BTW, there's at least a couple of ExPo'ers not far from you (bigreen505, me). That reminds me, we need to another South Denver ExPo rally since I missed the one at Thanksgiving.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Hi Katie,

Welcome to Expo! I'm just a bit east of DU a couple miles and DaveInDenver is much closer.

I don't kayak, but I have friends who do that would be happy to help. The sessions at the DU pool are really your best bet. I'm not sure if you are a swing dancer, but there seem to be a shocking number of kayakers in the swing dancing community (particularly at the Denver Turnverein) who would be more than happy to help you. The outdoor sources of still water (aka lakes) are a bit stiff now, but you often see people practicing at Cherry Creek Res. in the spring, though honestly I think I would prefer the pool.

As for the south Denver ExPo thing I have it on good authority that the one and only Mr. Pangaea is in Centennial a couple days a week too. Let's see if we can get together the next time Scott B. is in, or sooner.

DaveInDenver

bigreen505 said:
I don't kayak, but I have friends who do that would be happy to help. The sessions at the DU pool are really your best bet. I'm not sure if you are a swing dancer, but there seem to be a shocking number of kayakers in the swing dancing community (particularly at the Denver Turnverein) who would be more than happy to help you. The outdoor sources of still water (aka lakes) are a bit stiff now, but you often see people practicing at Cherry Creek Res. in the spring, though honestly I think I would prefer the pool.

As for the south Denver ExPo thing I have it on good authority that the one and only Mr. Pangaea is in Centennial a couple days a week too. Let's see if we can get together the next time Scott B. is in, or sooner.
That reminds me, they do hit the Soda Lakes a lot in the summer to practice. Those are the lakes at Bear Creek Park, near Morrison Rd. and C470 (one of them is where you see the water skiers right by the highway, they don't boat there). Also Aurora and Boulder Rez are friendly to non-motorized crafts. But practice-wise, DU is ideal.

Honestly, I think with all the weather lately we should do /something/ to get out. Pick a good day sometime in the middle of Feb and I'll be there.

cinemakatie

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Once the weather warms up I'm going to have to check these places out. I have one more question: I don't own any of my own stuff. Do you know of a good place to rent stuff that isn't too expensive? :REExeSwimmingHL:

Katie

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Katie, I recomend getting pool time in for learning your rolls. Its more comfortable and in your case if they hold them on campus convenient.

As far as good rivers that are in the II-III range, the Gunnison River has some easier sections on it that are pretty fun but not too intimidating. As far as the stuff on the front range, I'm not terribly familiar with other then Clear Creek which is a bit more then you want and a couple cool holes over by Lyons that you might find fun to play in. Not sure of rentals in that area though. I have a good buddy who is an avid paddler in Boulder. I could pick his brain for some suggestions in that area if you would like.

DaveInDenver

cinemakatie said:
Thanks for all the great suggestions! Once the weather warms up I'm going to have to check these places out. I have one more question: I don't own any of my own stuff. Do you know of a good place to rent stuff that isn't too expensive? :REExeSwimmingHL:

Katie
Confluence rents gear. Good gear, too. They'd have boats with them at the pool on Tuesday nights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles