boat delivery

rvrfish

Observer
I know there are a few sailors here and I thought you all might be interested in seeing this boat. I should start with the fact that this site has got me to make a new years resolution to camp out at least once a month, this was the last weekend in January, and rain was predicted and I was thinking I might miss the first month. Then I received an email asking if I would help with a boat delivery. Yeah, I thought to myself I’ll be sleeping in my bag, that’s camping!
Some friends of mine recently put together a boat partnership and bought Taxi Dancer a 68’ Reichel/Pugh ULDB and a group of us brought it back to Santa Barbara on Friday night. I say back to SB because the boat was here during the late 1990’s and I raced with the previous owners a couple of times.

Here is a link to the for sale website. (Their pictures are a lot better than mine.)
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1418069/0

When I saw the delivery list I was surprised to see how many people where coming on the trip. The new owners decided to make a party out of this. They rented a big van to drive us down to New Port Beach, invited wives and girl friends etc. one of the dates had never been sailing before….
We picked up the boat at 4:30 on Friday bought fuel and then docked the boat at Woody’s BBQ for dinner. The plan was to leave New Port at 8:00 PM power through the night and arrive in SB early in the morning. At 8:00 PM the group was still drinking Captain and coke’s at the bar, I went back the to boat set up some way points in the GPS hooked up the auto pilot etc. pretty much I was just stoked be seeing the boat again. It is simply an amazing sailing machine and the people who had her last pretty much did a frame up rebuild on her, the boat is flawless. Also how often do you get to sit in a carbon fiber chair and play with the same navigation equipment used on the Volvo race…I was dreaming of the southern ocean baby! GRIN!

At 9:00 I was getting nervous, we should be leaving… at 10:00 the group shows up with some additions “what happens on the boat stay’s on the boat…”
Finally we are leaving, not yet! The decision is made to stop at the New Port Harbor Yacht Club for one more round. We lost some of the additions; some people don’t remember leaving the yacht club etc.

We cleared the harbor some time after 11:00 I went straight to my bunk to try and get some sleep before my watch, (I was so thankful some one brought extra ear plugs)

We had enough people that we each had to stand a one hour watch. We drew the watch times from a hat I drew 3:00-4:00AM I awoke for my watch at 2:30 got suited up and was on deck and ready for some quality time on the water, what a beautiful night. The last of the partiers were asleep and quiet, finally! With a following breeze and clear sky’s, the lights of Malibu on the coast. It was just what I was hoping for, at 4:00 I was warm and alert so I decided to keep going. Finally at 6:00AM it started to rain and I called the next guy up to release me from my turn. I caught another few hours of sleep and pulled into SB harbor by 10:00AM on Saturday morning. What a great way to start my new years camping resolution, Thanks Expedition Portal!

Best,

Matt W

PS please dont laugh at my double chin... GRIN

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Matt,
Thanks for sharing, that's one hell of a Sled!
Remember to let me know if they ever need crew or an experienced helmsman!

Will you get to race on her this year?

Brian

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Cool, must have been fun. So how much gas does in take to motor that far?

mcvickoffroad said:
Hi Matt,
Thanks for sharing, that's one hell of a Sled!
Remember to let me know if they ever need crew or an experienced helmsman!

Will you get to race on her this year?

Brian

... or inexperienced crew for that matter. :bowdown:
I would bend my "no lead" rule for that for sure. Technically I am a US Sailing Instructor if that helps. :elkgrin:

rvrfish

Observer
Thanks for the kind comments, yes the boat is beautiful. I thought it would be appreciated here.

I like all boats from plastic Kayaks to full on yachts, power boats, sail boats anything that floats. I get just as big kick out of seeing this Sled as I do an old Chris Craft or a home made stitch and glue skiff. I must be sick…

I didn’t check how much fuel we burned, but wouldn’t think it was more the 25 gallons. The boats are very efficient through water. on my watch the GPS said we where doing 9.5 knots over the bottom with very little wake. But you got me curious so I’ll find out.

As far as sailing on the boat regularly, I have been invited and I might, but as you can imagine when there is a new boat in town there is a long list of people clamoring for a ride. I think I’ll probably wait for the dust to settle before I make a commitment. Basically Friday night was a great way to get on the water and hang out with some old friends etc. But there was talk of Trans Pac I think that would be pretty motivational. Grin!

If any of you want a ride, just let me know when you coming through town and I’ll put in a good word for you. (I can’t promise any helm time but I’ll do my best) I garontee the boats are amazing machines Sleds are fun in any breeze from 5 knots to 25 knots (of course we all pray for 25 knots)

I pretty much envy you 505 sailors I like sailing a two man dingy thing. no egos one design sailing its all good!

I hope to meet some of you expo people this year I’m committed to being in Baja for the 500 maybe a group of us could meet at contingency or after the race?

Cheers,

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles