Fresh Water Storage

unsprung80

I would like to get some opinions on some good fresh water storage tanks. I have a cheap plastic tank that I have used in the past, but it makes the water taste plasticy (is that a word?) I want something high quality, won't leak and doesn't make the water taste bad. I was looking at a scepter tank, but I am also considering an insulated cooler. Ideas and opinions? Thanks for the help

Scott Brady

Founder
I have seen a few nice ideas, and have struggled with the best solution. All of the water in one tank kind of scares me (if you had a leak).

At the end of the day, I think I will go with a large, SS custom tank behind the drivers seat. I estimate it will carry 7 gallons. Then I will still carry my one gallon of water in the fridge, plus a 20l Wedco can in the bed.

Up to this point I have used a 3 gallon jug (with spout), the 1 gallon in the fridge and (2) 20l cans in the bed.

I have not done a lot of research on these solutions yet, so it will be nice to see what you come up with.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
expeditionswest said:
All of the water in one tank kind of scares me (if you had a leak).

...or contamination.

I don't have enough experience to recommend the best tank material, but I think stainless steel scores pretty high. Regardless of what you use, I think it would be a good idea to have some dedicated drinking water that is always filtered (put only filtered water into the tank), and like Scott, have some backup sources for emergency drinking water that could be filtered or treated in the field. These other sources can double as wash water for kitchen or shower duty, rinse water for equipment, etc.

I think your idea to use insulation is great. My main water storage is below and in the center of my cargo deck, so it remains fairly well insulated - and that makes a nice difference in hotter or colder climates.

Attachments

• 348.jpg
    348.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

shahram

Adventurer
I have found that larger water containers are more prone to problems. Contamination, leakage, UV+plastic=foul taste, metal cans are heavy and awkward, etc. There is an initial investment into the container, and that is lost if the container becomes too dirty or unreliable to use. Disposable containers are good because they can be replaced cheaply, tossed, and forgotten about.

In my experience, lots of smaller sources of water is a better deal. Smaller containers conform to space instead of dominating it. Gerry cans are suitable for washing, refill and treat the water in them minimally if washing small children in foreign countries or high-risk areas. In an emergency, the water can be treated and drank, if unpleasant tasting, still better than severe dehydration.

I prefer that my drinking sources be pre-sealed, in other words I do not like filling containers from the tap. There are too many factors to worry about in terms of contamination, and I have seen even small bottles refilled with clean water become fetid in a few days in the right conditions.

The rule of thumb in the desert is one gallon per person, per day in moderate conditions, and more in less than forgiving conditions. Having opaque containers and large containers can make it more difficult to gauge usage.

So, I buy my drinking water in pre-measured jugs of varying sizes. The only time I refill is to fill small bottles or canteens from larger bottles. In terms of travel reliability and convenience, not all bottles are created equal.

25g.jpg

These are square, carry around 2.5 gal. and have a spout (you must poke a hole in the top to bring in air), are completely unsuited for travel. It is leaky, the container lacks integrity esp. in heat, and the type of plastic used imparts the taste of plastic to its contents.

wide.jpg

These "wide-mouth" 32 oz. bottles are great. The plastic is heavier duty than the smaller bottles, doesn't impart a plastic taste, and is the size of the standard canteen. One great aspect of these bottles is the wide-mouth. Say it's cold outside, you're all warm and comfy in your sleeping bag, and nature calls. No fear, you have a tent urinal by your side. Unless you're John Holmes, you can fit in there and do your business. Cap it up, throw it out in the morning, and you're done. Just don't go drinking the apple juice!

1g.jpg

These are great. They are 1 gal., are made from the same durable, flexible plastic as the small water bottles, can take a ton of abuse without breaking and absorb UV without breaking down in the water. They are measured out well, you can count them quickly by need (one bottle per person per day), and after they're done, they collapse, or have other uses (We use them for measured showers, you get one gallon jug, no mas. I also cut the bottoms off to use as cereal/marinade/mixing/prep bowls). The only thing I don't like about these is you have to keep track of the cap, as they are weak and if slightly unscrewed will leak.

3g.jpg

I use these "Sparklett's" type bottles for longer trips or really severe temperatures. The five gallon bottles are heavy, esp. top-heavy; I prefer the 3 gallon size. They are stouter, hardier, and easier to throw around. They can withstand tons of abuse and UV does not ruin the taste. The bottles are often tinted, which keeps them slightly cooler. They have an integrated handle molded in which makes them easier to strap in. The caps, even after being unsealed, are very reliable.

gjackson

FRGS
Hello all,

I would propose that it is better to filter the water as it is coming out of your storage system rather than going into it. It is easy to get a 12v pump and some excellent filter beds (Mantec for instance). Obviously, try to put as clean water as possible into your tank, but this way you do not have to segregate potable from non or questionably potable. And you can always bypass the filter for non-potable needs.

I've used both stainless and plastic tanks, and have not had a bad taste out of either. You can get some very nice custom water tanks from marine suppliers, made for water supply on boats.

Just my 2c worth

cheers

Graham

Attachments

• 1407.jpg
    1407.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 0

Scott Brady

Founder
shahram,

Great suggestions! Smaller containers are more reliable, and storable, so they do work out well.

For the last few years I have used a 3 gallon plastic unit with spout, one gallon unit in the fridge and up to 40l in the bed (in wedco cans).

I am still considering a 10-15 gallon SS unit for in the bed with a pressure pump, etc. Still have a few gallons of good tasting water in the cab.

Not sure the plan yet though.

VikingVince

Explorer
Scott,

I remember seeing your 3 gallon plastic unit with a spout...it looked durable and easily usable...what's the brand name, where did you get it? I've been looking around and haven't seen one quite like it. thanks

vince

I have found the one gallon per person rule a myth. Yes you probably will survive but not very comfortably. We went last month on a 3 day camping trip. We were at about 9,000 feet on average and did alot of hiking and caveing. before we left I purchased 2 cases of small bottled water and took 10 gallons tap water in 2 five gallon containers. 4 of us sucked through those 2 cases of bottled water the first day. we could never get enough to drink it seemed. Then when I took the group through a cave I discovered earlier that day I saw why. when I shined the light into my exhale it was made of small water malecules. Every breath every time. I have never seen that much moisture leave a person before. So everytime I was exhaleing I was loosing water. We finished the trip with the last 2 days just exploring in our vehicles. Couldnt afford to loose anymore water since we had 2 days left. My next trip will include 1 case per person plus 5 gallons per person 3 day trip (in these conditions at least) The air here is very dry and the alltitude doesnt help at all.

I have found a possible great solution to my water storage needs. It uses dead space in most pick ups and should work great for my needs. Unfortunately the company is out on summer vacation until the 29th. I will let you know if it works. I will go into details after I talk to the company. :D

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
When I was down in Australia a few weeks ago I stopped in a TJM store in Cairns, queensland. They had these cool water bladders. They had them made for mounting behind the pannels of suv's, cabs of trucks, or hung from bed rail. They were vehicle specific for the suv'sThey had a large fill port with easy acces and them a small drain tube that made it easy to acess. Similar to a giant camel back bladder but made froma much heavier vinly that was radio frequency welded together.

I will do some more research tosee if I can come up sith a link.

Scott Brady

Founder
More good suggestions!

I found a few good links:

Opposite Lock

Explore OZ some anecdotes

I am having a hard time finding SS tanks that are pre-made. I know that it would be a lot cheaper than a custom unit...

The search continues. :box:

Attachments

• 4067.jpg
    4067.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 4068.jpg
    4068.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 4069.jpg
    4069.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 4070.jpg
    4070.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 4071.jpg
    4071.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 4072.jpg
    4072.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1

Scott Brady

Founder
During my trip to Colorado I had the chance to check out Slee's shop, and he had several slick water storage solutions.
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/

Water Bladder: I think this is a 40L
bladder_150.jpg

He also had a very nice 19 gallon hard plastic unit that was carpeted to keep light away.

for smaller, transportable water volumes, I am using the MSR 6L Dromedary bags. Easy to store, protable and can be rolled up when empty.
dromedary_bags.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    331.1 KB · Views: 109

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Went on a COD4x4 run yesterday and one of the guys had something similar that he had strapped to the back of his driver's seat. The, the....the nipple(?) was velcroe'd (is that a verb, articulate?) to his headrest. Very slick set up and space saver!

Hydro on demand!

articulate

Expedition Leader
kcowyo said:
Went on a COD4x4 run yesterday and one of the guys had something similar that he had strapped to the back of his driver's seat. The, the....the nipple(?) was velcroe'd (is that a verb, articulate?) to his headrest. Very slick set up and space saver!

Hydro on demand!
Nipple is a noun. We need to get you out, show you some.

Back to the water, I've been eyeing (is that a verb?) those MSR things.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I don't have any of the MSR bags, but I've used them and they are nice. Another benefit for backpack camping is you can fill them easily with a filter. I bought Nalgene canteens instead because I liked the more compact shape better and they were cheaper. However, I seem to have lost two of them and will probably replace them with the MSR bags.

That rubber thing from Slee is interesting. No real info on their site though, besides price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste