Tacoma and 4Runner Spares List

Scott Brady

Founder
Chad had a great idea for assembling a spares list for the Tacoma and 4Runner, and I thought this would be a great spot to do so. These would be repair and service items you feel are critical to have on an expedition.

If possible, include the source and part number for the item.

As new items are added to the thread, I will update the master list.

Scott Brady

Founder
1995-2004 Tacoma and 4Runner Spares and Service Parts List

1995-2004 Tacoma and 4Runner Spares and Service Parts List

1. Upper and Lower Radiator Hose
2. All Three Engine Belts
3. Air Filter (note: Change to Air filter occured in mid 2004)
4. Oil Filter
5. Oil (6) Quarts

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
droppdwn said:
I still have a healthy level of concern for longevity and reliability, but then again that's why I'm buying a Toyota. I don't remember a head gasket recall on the 3.4L V6 though... My old 3.0L had one, but have any of you heard of one for the 3.4? Maybe it was just that first year.

This is a good way to spawn a new topic though: What spare parts do I bring to Armenia with me?

The list that I have tentatively is as follows:

Brake Pads
1 front driveshaft (with the cv boots)
1 rear half shaft (don't know the correct nomenclature for half of the rear axle) and are they interchangeable like the front?
Fuel filter
Oil Filters
2 air filters (it's dusty there)
Upper and lower radiator hoses / Clamps

Locker actuator parts?
U joints?
2 extra tires (anyone have a wheel recommendation (light and cheap preferably)

I can't ship oil or liquids so...

If you are going to take brake pads, might as well take a pair of brake shoes too - especially if one of the axle seals decides to go (hopefully not though).

The rear axle shafts are interchangeable as are the fronts.

I have 122,000 miles on my original u-joints, with no problems thus far. I guess they are small enough that it wouldn't hurt to take a spare or two.

If you want a light/cheap wheel, try for a stock Toyota alloy wheel of that year.

In addition to your list, the following things come to mind:

1. Hose clamps that will fit your CV boots (or HD zip-ties)
2. Some CV grease (does that qualify as oil or liquid?)
3. 32mm socket to remove the wheel nut on the front CV axle. (verify your particular nut though! It may be 34mm)
4. A pair of spare c-clips that go on the inner CV axle stub
5. Spark plugs
6. If poor/dirty fuel is an issue - you might want to take (2) filters and change the first one after x-amount of miles regardless if it feels like it needs it or not.
7. A spare set of bolts (4 or even only 2) for the lower ball-joint knuckle. (the reason for this is because you will remove these bolts to change a broken CV axle, and if you strip them, or damage the heads you are SOL).
8. Spare lamp bulbs (not sure what will be avail. there)
9. Fuses
10. moly-grease for drive shafts (does that qualify as oil or liquid?)
11. Cheater bar for lug wrench (1 1/4" x 36" galv. pipe) - or cross-type lug wrench
12. Tire repair kit with lots of plugs and a sidewall patch
13. JB weld
14. Duct tape
15. Bailing wire
16. Thermostat (I have never needed mine though)

Before you go, check to see if the Toyota red coolant will be avail. when you get there. If not, then if you ever need to change coolant, be sure to completely flush the red coolant out of the system (pressurized flush) and then add whatever is available. If there is any way you can stick to a non-silicate coolant, do it.

Regarding the HG recall, yea - I think on that very early run of the 4Runner/Tacoma, there was a recall on the 3.4 - but I am not 100% sure. You should be able to call Toyota to verify.

If I think of anything else, I will post it.

Last edited:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
BajaTaco said:
Regarding the HG recall, yea - I think on that very early run of the 4Runner/Tacoma, there was a recall on the 3.4...

Here is a list of recalls/tsb's for the '96 and I don't see the head gasket on the list. However, this article says there is indeed a recall depending on the VIN. Again, it looks like you will have to call Toyota (have the VIN handy).

droppdwn

We already have those! We just got back from living in the Philippines for two years, which included a couple of trips to Vietnam. Great place to visit by the way if you've not had the chance. They roast a number of their beans in butter. The French left a little something wonderful behind!

BajaTaco said:
Oh yea, you will also need to carry two (2) vietnamese coffee presses. ;)

droppdwn

I'm not SUPER worried about the recall as long as it was one at a Toyota shop. The previous owner has all of the maintenance records for me when I pick up the truck. The timing belt got replaced too he says! It's looking like I'm not going to have to do anything to it once I pick it up on Thursday.

Everyone keep their fingers crossed for me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles