Car-top-tent pros/cons?

HarryT

Adventurer
I see that Car-Top-Tent Products has a tent for $650 (shipping included).
Does anyone have an opinion of this tent?

Harry
SC

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Not exactly an opinion on that particular tent, but "you get what you pay for" is an accurate truism.
If at all possible I'd suggest getting a look at various makes and models to copmpare for yourself.

Just my 2 centavos...
:sombrero:

robski

Observer
I bought one when they have this for sale last year, and I think I paid $425 shipped. This was the last model before the new, and improve model coming out. There was a long tread on another forum (ih8mud)about the pros and con about this product. For the price, its not bad at all except the ladder design. I regret selling my ctt up to now because I have no room at my new place at that time. I'm planning to get the newer model since that's all I can afford to spent on a roof tent, and besides we do go outdoor maybe 2 to 3 times a year.

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Follow-up on Car-top-tents

Two weeks ago I was at Anza Borrego State Park in SoCal and stayed 10 days in the out-back here and there in the park. One most remarkable night I must share with you all. I drove to the top of Pinion Mountain pass on the grapevine trail out of Burrego Springs. The altitude was only 4800ft but that night a big storm was due so I put on the tie-downs that Car-Top-Tents provides and staked them into the ground expecting maybe 20-30mph winds. That night the winds blew over 50 mph according to the weatherman the next morning and it sleeted on me as well. I keep a remote thermostat in my tent to monitor the temp in my frig and the temp in the tent. When I awoke by the sleet striking my tent sides which I thought was sand, I reviewed what the temps were. Inside my frig was 37 degrees...OK. Inside the tent..36! The wind-chill froze the water into puddles on the top on my tent. I raised my hand to elevate the tent's top to spill the water (I thought) off the side. To my surprize it was frozen solid and slid off with a bang! I lite my tent heater (a Ceramic Mr Heater-certified safe in a tent) hanging from the middle bar in my tent and in minutes I was warm (75#) inside and dry. When daylight came I got out to see my campsite and found myself alone. Evidently my nearest fellow tent camper (the only other people on the mountain) had packed and left in the night. My tent did'nt pull a tie-down out of the ground and never leaked abit! I have to say it certainly got a good test and pasted with an "A+." It's ease in erecting and striking were simple. I leave my sleeping bag (a NorthFace double-wide) in the tent with my pillow and it folds easily down. Sure beats sleeping on wet ground with running water going here and there. I found mountain lion tracks marching through my campsite and the thought of being above the animal gave me some peace...though after the fact.
I thought I would share this with you who are thinking about a tent purchase.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I bought the previous blowout model too. It's great for the money. Of course it needs improvements... .. but for the price, you can't say too much.

It all depends how much you want to spend.

Rhode Trip

Adventurer
HarryT said:
I see that Car-Top-Tent Products has a tent for $650 (shipping included).
Does anyone have an opinion of this tent?

Harry
SC

This is the new, improved version apparently. Has someone purchased one of these? "expedition series" Aluminum floor, different ladder it looks like.
I'm having these guys http://www.outlandertrailers.com/index.htm build me a trailer and they quoted me $550 to add this tent. I don't really need it. Should I go for it?

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Rhode Trip said:
This is the new, improved version apparently. Has someone purchased one of these? "expedition series" Aluminum floor, different ladder it looks like.
I'm having these guys http://www.outlandertrailers.com/index.htm build me a trailer and they quoted me $550 to add this tent. I don't really need it. Should I go for it?
I have the one you see in your message. Aluminum floor. Very stout. Ladder still needs work though functions well enough. If you need one-the price is right.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Boston Mangler said:
I will be selling one of these shortly!

That was quick! Hope you have something even better in mind.

The one problem I see with mounting a CTT onto the top of a trailer box is when you need to access the box after the tent is set up. How easy will that be?

For instance with Desertdude's Maggiolina on his trailer, he is able to open the box on his trailer even with the tent open. With a CTT, I don't know if that's possible and in all likelihood, after the tent is set up there will be something you'll need out of the box.

Maybe other owners will comment if that would work...?

Rhode Trip

Adventurer
kcowyo said:

The one problem I see with mounting a CTT onto the top of a trailer box is when you need to access the box after the tent is set up. How easy will that be?

For instance with Desertdude's Maggiolina on his trailer, he is able to open the box on his trailer even with the tent open. With a CTT, I don't know if that's possible and in all likelihood, after the tent is set up there will be something you'll need out of the box.

The outlander solution is a structural rack with a rear opening box. This is a smaller version of the trailer they are building for me
outlander.jpg
[/IMG]

PhulesAU

Explorer
IF you are the size of a Bear, I would NOT recommend one. Gravity will not be your friend in several ways. ( Don't ask) there are no pictures for evidence.:mad:

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
kcowyo said:

I open the top of my trailer w/o issue. Of course the ground straps are not being utilized at that time either. I am content with it. I am 73" tall and weigh 275. It's a steady eddy for me! But then again, I only use it to sleep in!@#$*!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier