Production swing gate

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
"• Improves truck's aerodynamics and may improve gas mileage."

Sure it does :rolleyes:

Overall, not a bad concept, I just hope it is beefy.

erin

Explorer
I was wondering how easy it is to reverse the gate though, which didn't seem to be real clear on the site, but I could have missed it.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Looks like a neat Idea... Might need to research a bit further before throwing in on my list though...

mcm4090

Explorer
I am bring this thread back from the dead is get everyone thoughts on the tire gate.
Any know problems? Any unexpected benefits?

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Saving fuel is a farce. It will actually use more. The only exception would be if you had your spare on the roof. On a pickup it has been proven open gates or gates that allow air flow through them get worse MPG then the factory tail gate being in the closed position. What happens is when the air flows over the cab it forms a bubble in the bed making the aerodynamic flow more like a tear drop shape. With the gate down or when it can pass air through it it looses that teardrop air flow. It was even covered on Mythbusters.
http://www.themythbusters.net/episodes/54_e-Seasickness---Kill-or-Cure.html
Tailgate - Up or Down?:

The Myth: Is it more efficient to drive a truck with the tailgate down or up?

Adam and Jamie drive two identical trucks with a full tank, one with the gate up, the other with the gate down. After two days of highway driving to drain the tanks, the truck with the gate up drove 30 miles further than the one with the gate down.

With the counter-intuitive result, Adam and Jamie research the odd scenario. With the gate up, the truck catches a "pillow" of air in the back; this gives the truck a more aerodynamic shape, and the truck becomes more fuel efficient.

MYTH BUSTED

If you are looking for MPG increase the tire under the truck or flat against the back of the cab in the bed would be much better then hanging out in the wind. A bed cover offers some help in MPG but not as much as you would think. On a SUV it would be more of a wash.

Then we get to the whole weight issue and where it is. The farther past the rear axle the worse the handling will become. Ideally weight low and between the axles is best.

As long as you accept the above and just want to get the tire out from the bed and it is too big to go in the stock under bed location then it should be a fine product but chances are you can find a local fab show to build something similar for a LOT less.

Haviing had two trucks with spares mounted out back on sperate gates and my observations of living with it.: Starts to become a pain in the keister especially on a SUV. Having to open that thing then open the stock gate or door to get at the bed begins to be a pain after a while. Very few can be operated with a single hand and I suspect that set up on the truck will take two hands. Meaning if you have grocery bag or something in one hand and want to put in the back you may have to put it on the ground to operate the gate. Sucks in the rain.

Now my old Trooper with it on the door so it was passive to use...that was nice. Nothing different then just opening the door.

Options other then this...Smaller spare. I run 33's 12.5's. I think I can get 33x9.5 in the stock location on my truck with a little exhaust rerouting. That also saves weight of the gate and weight on the spare. I may have to let the air out of it so I can push it up against the cross bar for the hitch and fill it when I need it but I do carry a compressor to fill it and chances are I can plug the regular tire if its just a puncture and may not need the spare at all. Last two flats I got I was able to plug without even jacking up the truck and removing the wheel.

The only big issue is the 12.5 will not fit if I have to change it. It may have to go on the roof till it gets repaired and back on the truck but thats not a big deal for me when the majority of the time I will be gaining MPG weight and saving the expense of the gate.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles