crazy idea ...

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
So, I'm looking at an ad from Desert Rat and notice relatively inexpensive front bumpers for Jeeps (mind you, I have a Suzuki Vitara) and go to visit the nearby store to do some measurements .... the measurements aren't far off from what I need for the Zuk. Width (59-inches) is perfect and mounts to the frame horns are very close. Ebay has several fabricators selling decent looking bumpers for good prices and imply they will customize (widths, etc ...)

For those in the know about fabricating, does this sound realistic? If I give good measurements to fit into my frame horns, is there a downside to this? (Aside from not exactly matching the vehicle's contours)

I simply want a good, solid front bumper at a decent price that I can eventually fit a winch to (not any time soon, and by then a real Vitara bumper may be out that is a better option). In the meantime, short of having it custom made, which I doubt that I can afford, I'm thinking this might be a viable option.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Jeff

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Jeff,

I'm sure someone could recommend a fabricator who could help you customize a bumper to fit your application. Assuming the dimensions of a ready built product are similar to your vehicle, I don't see a problem.

Scott Brady

Founder
Jeff,

Can you post a few links of bumpers you are interested in using? Also, are you looking for just high clearance protection, or are you interested in mounting a winch, etc.? I can think of a simple bumper configuration that would run a channel across the front, then bend back slightly at the corners.

It would probably be a pretty easy project.

jeffryscott

zuki bumpers

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8018440410&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8019396120&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Scott,

Here are two I'm watching: relatively straightforward, simple designs. The Warn is what I looked at at Desert Rat, but have no idea on their price right now. My frame horns are about 34-inches apart, so adapting the zuki to those bumpers probably wouldn't be a big deal if you know how to weld ( I have a friend whose dad is great at this stuff, and I suspect there are some resources here as well). I'd want to do it so the bumper is not only secure for a recovery point, but safely installed as the zuki is my daily driver, and I drive a lot.

At some point, I will get a winch, but with a bumper like the above ones, I don't know if I could because of clearance issues, etc ... with the Vitara nose.

Goodtimes in another thread suggested a tube bumper like Baja Taco, which would be good as well, but I don't know what material, much less labor, for such a process would cost and the ready-built ones like the warn seem reasonably priced. Although, I'd probably want one of the raw finish units until all the welding and fabbing is done.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
IMO, putting a jeep bumper on the front of a vehicle that does not have a flat front end, will make the bumper ends stand so far away from the vehicle that you will compromise too much of your approach angle, and will never look quite right. Granted, that second issue is purely asthetic and in a function over form debate will not hold much weight.....but lets be honest. We want our rigs to look good and perform good too. To get an idea about how that first bumper will stick out, take a 2x4 (wood) and hold up in front of your vitara. The material most of the fabricators out there are using for the jeep bumpers is 2x5", 3/16 wall steel....so the 2x4 is a pretty good representation. Now, imagine if you cut a pie shaped notch out of the center of that 2x4 so that it came to a blunt point in the center....you will see how much more approach angle this simple change can make.

I am wrapping up this semester at school next week, so I will have some time free up (although none on the weekends as I work both saturday and sunday). If you are in the Tucson area, we can get together and look at/discuss options if you would like....and you can go from there.

jeffryscott

GT, that would be cool to get together, thanks for the offer. I'd love to get your input. I am in Tucson, just let me know when you get done with school.

I tried the 2x4 this morning and if the last 15-inches on both sides are tapered back, it wouldn't be too bad.

jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 42

+ d

Adventurer
minor point...just keep in mind that a 2x4 is actually 1.5" x 3.5"
so the proportions will be different

a wood mock up is a fantastic idea though, one could get the angles and features just how you like it and take it to a local fabricator and say "here make this outta steel"

(or you could spray paint it silver and call it a day :p )

jeffryscott

+ d said:
minor point...just keep in mind that a 2x4 is actually 1.5" x 3.5"
so the proportions will be different

a wood mock up is a fantastic idea though, one could get the angles and features just how you like it and take it to a local fabricator and say "here make this outta steel"

(or you could spray paint it silver and call it a day :p )

I've thought a railroad tie would be nice and beefy. Put some steer horns on it and I'd be set.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Huh, the front of the Vitara is flatter than I remember. I like what John did with his 80, and again with his Lexus. Now, if we could just get him out in the dirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles