Kayaking Tampa Bay

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Hey guys Just got done leading a Kayak trip around Tampa Bays Harbour. This is the 3rd largest port oon the east coast for ship repair. We also have a cruise line port. Typical goods are phosphate, cars, fuel, fruit. The group I was leading was from the paddling club I run. 24 paddlers were on this adventure. It was about a 5 hour paddle with a break at the Marriot waterside hotel for lunch. Just thought I'd share some of the pics. Not to many people get to see the perspective of a harbour from something as insignificant as a kayak. Some of the pics will give you an idea of scale.

First pic is looking back on most of the group shortly after start of Davis Island sea plane basin.
IMG_1650.jpg
[/IMG]

This is a pic of a multi million dolar home on the southern point of Harbour Island, with the Tampa Skyline in the back ground.
IMG_1652.jpg

Just a shot passing by an open dock in the repair yard
IMG_1658.jpg
[/IMG]

Passing a docked tug
IMG_1660.jpg
[/IMG]

Paddling up the shipping lane!!!
IMG_1661.jpg
[/IMG]

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
First sense of scale.
IMG_1666.jpg
[/IMG]

Good sense of insignificance!!!
IMG_1667.jpg
[/IMG]

A cool barge that is shaped so a large tug can slide inside to push it. These are comomly used to cross gulf water to South America.
IMG_1669.jpg
[/IMG]

Self explanitory!!! Kayak vs. cruise ship LOL!
IMG_1675.jpg
[/IMG]

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Not shure what got ahold of this cruise ship but it must have been big. The kayak along side the damaged area is just over 15' long for a reference of scale.
IMG_1676.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1677.jpg
[/IMG]

The beautiful grounds and Minerettes of the University of Tampa. This is not only a university but was the former home of the Henry B plant Railroad station. It has a whole historical center open for tours. I own a canoe that was originally shipped to tampa on the rail line in the ealry 1900's!
IMG_1685.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_1686.jpg
[/IMG]

This is what the lower part of the Hillsborough river looks like. It is really cool because of all the graffiti. University of Tampa is a major winter training ground for Sculling teams from around the U.S. Thay all stay here and compete but get to leave their marks on the seawalls and bridges. Some of the local residents hate it but I think it adds character to the area.
IMG_1688.jpg
[/IMG]

Finally some of you may remember hearing about the Gasparilla party we have in Tampa. It was promoted with the superbowl when we last hosted. Will anyway the Pirates invade Tampa each January and the Jose Gasparilla shipi is the boat they come in on. Here is a docked pic.
IMG_1691.jpg
[/IMG]

Any way this was a great trip. Easy to paddle so anyone could do it. Just thought I'd share.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Hey great pictures!
My wife and I used to live in St. Pete and she worked over at Tampa General for a while. I'd sit and watch the Sculling teams practice while waiting for her to get off work!

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Veyr cool pics, makes me yearn for the ocean right now. It has been about 4 months since I have last been to the ocean. Gonna have to run down to Mexico again here really soon.

pangaea

Adventurer
Great pics. I lived in Tampa for a couple of years while I was growing up. Its fun seeing it from such a different perspective...

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
FUN pics! Those "perspective" shots are insane :Wow1: You have a great line of work, that's for sure ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94