Expedition Leader
AKA Stormtrooper...

an older shot...
40f802df5b525b1a39017c9e057fe1af.jpg

little newer...
c5819d8edc3cd65738e39015c4ed91e2.jpg

And one more...

c7d13e3cb88ba25787d8653b0343e8a2.jpg

Am now in the planning stage for a canvas topper and custom rear bumper that incorporates a spare tire carrier and a container for recovery equipment. OBA Compressor is going in the bed while the tank is to be relocated where the spare used to be.

Scott Brady

Founder
What an awesome Nissan! :eek:

I was so tempted to buy one in 2000, when they first came out. Nissan was the first to bring in the quad cab compact, and I wanted one bad. I ended up with a 2001 Discovery II, but that is another story...

What are you using for a suspension? Where do you typically travel to?

Tell us more about your machine

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Spec's on Stormtrooper

2000 Nissan Frontier CC 4wd
3.3l V6
Limited Slip rear end

Suspension:
Calmini 3" UCA
Calmini Torsion bars
Rancho 9000X shocks
Rancho RCX Remote Control
Automotive Customizers Shackles (2" +/-)
Replaced one leaf in rear spring pack
Performance Accessories 2" Body lift

Steering:
Calmini Steering System

Running gear:
33x10.5x15
15x8 Rockcrawler Rims

Armor:
ARB Bull Bar
Custom rock sliders (will be modified soon)
Custom rear bumper
(soon to have swing gate similar to Jason DeMello design)

Lighting:
IPF 968
KC 69
Northern Tools (6 lights - two backups, four rock lights)

Accessories:
Warn M8000
ARB Safari Snorkle
Yakima Loadmaster
Viair Compressor
4 gallon Tank
Cabela's Deluxe Compass & Temp Alert
Motorola CB
Firestick Antenna
Motorola FRS Base unit
Fire Extinguisher
First Aid kit
Recovery gear
Dual Air Horns
Delorme Earthmate GPS
Hi-Lift

Future Plans:
Custom rear bumper to include swing gate and recovery gear container
Custom sliders to possibly be tied to ARB
Custom skidplates - front, engine/transmission, tcase, gas tank
ARB air locker (at least in the rear)
Revolver shackles

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of right now. The only modification to Stormy that I didn't do was the actual mounting of the tires onto the rims. Everything else I'm quite proud of completing myself including repairs, although I did find a torn CV boot yesterday. Guess I get to figure that one out too.

Scott Brady

Founder
Again, what an awesome truck. Very well thought out and functional modifications.

Do you typically go on local adventures, or do you take advantage of your close proximaty (relative) to Mexico and Colorado too?

How about a sleeping system? Have you considered a roof tent?

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
No most of our trips are local offroading. No overnights - our daughter turns seven weeks tomorrow. So that kinda limits us.

Once I get the roof rack off the bed, we'll be able to put an air mattress down. I've looked into the bed tents but haven't been really interested. Roof rack? I don't know if my cab would support it. I do know the stock roof rack would collapse. You have one on your rig right? Comes out over the hood with vertical supports. Maybe, just gotta get the tire carrier working first.

Well thought out? Wait till you see the rear bumper! Gonna take a bit but it's going to incorporate many elements - tire carrier, tool box, license plate(very important), Hi-lift, bed sliders, and an air tank in the spare tire location complete with a skid plate for it.

Closest place I'd consider is Big Bend. Only a couple of problems...illegal immigrants coming through - easy solution = go in a group; by the time it cools down enough there are usually too many other people going out(spring break, etc). Plus my wife and I are both teachers and we'd have to go out on a long weekend (which district office has been reducing).

Now there are probably some places in Mexico but there has been toooo many "yankee's" disappearing. The border violence is getting worse almost by the day. So that's probably out as well.

Lots of hurdles to overcome but we'll get out sometime.

Are there any places in New Mexico? Handbrakes' parents live in Ruidoso. BEAUTIFUL country! I could live there if they paid teachers more than half what I'm making now.

Thanks for the compliments too! I'd like too see some more pix of your rig as well.

Check out www.nissanoffroad.net - we have some pretty nice looking Xterra's over there. Frontiers too. Pathy's too!

Scott Brady

Founder
I cant wait to see your modifications to the rear bumper. Sounds very nice and effective.

I would highly recommend New Mexico for an adventure. You can really get lost in those lightly populated areas. The exploration opportunities in Eastern NM are limitless, and you could bag a high point on Wheeler Peak

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Where can I go to find some of the NM locations? All I ever hear about are in CO, AZ, CA, or along the east coast.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Scott is your rig your daily driver? Also where did you find that shovel holder? Pretty nifty lil device.

Thank you for that link to NM trails! I found that several months ago before my computer croaked and I lost all email addresses and links.

Just FYI while viewing the pix, an error popped up on 15/32. Good photography and nice scenery too!

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Thank you very much! You guys have some sweet Taco's as well! Looking forward to meeting everyone sometime soon. Would love to get to NM soon as well.

:ylsmoke:

Scott Brady

Founder
Please keep us informed of your progress with the truck. Your machine is VERY unique. When I have a little time, I would like to include your truck as a featured machine for this site. I will contact you for a few high res shots.

Again, sweet truck. ;)

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Just a little update...ARB bumpers do NOT like to winch from directly below the bumper. Fortunately the bumper just slipped in the slots and didn't bend. My dad had driven some 3/4" rebar about 18"-20" into the ground and I used my M8000 to pull them out. Holy crap did it pull the front end down!

Also installed a set of Teraflex Revolver shackles this evening to get achieve more flex in the rear. Limiting straps and extended brake lines to come.

Scott Brady

Founder
I had a similar experience with rebar. During the AZ State OHV training we did, we had used 18" rebar stakes to anchor large railroad ties to the ground for the left foot braking exercise. We used Via Tierra's (member on this forum) Discovery to pull them out with the front mounted winch. A few times the 8000 lb. winch would STALL and the disco would be on its bump stops! :Wow1:

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I've already broken one torsion bar and when Stormy started taking a bow, I began cringing. Wifey would not like to have another repair this summer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles