trek to Rainbow Bridge, March 2006 (revised to Sycamore Canyon)

articulate

Expedition Leader
rainbow_bridge2.jpg

I've got an adventure in the works for March 11 through 14 (or so) to go see this sandstone wonder on the Navajo Nation. And I'm open to enjoying this with some friends, old and new.

Facts: Rainbow Bridge is the Earth's largest free-standing rock arch at 290 feet tall - almost the size of the Statue of Liberty. She spans the river by 275 feet, and makes her home on the Navajo Indian Reservation as a sacred site to Native Americans. Backcountry permits from the Navajo Nation are required, and as a sacred site there is no camping at the Bridge. This region hosts several incredible canyons that are worth the hike alone, so we'll take in much more than Rainbow Bridge.

Plan A: 2 nights on the trail. Drive to Rainbow Lodge (requiring 4wd) on Friday, hike to a camping spot a few miles from the Sandstone Wonder. Day trip to the bridge early Saturday morning, and explore some canyons on the way back to camp. Hike out on Sunday and make our weary way back to civilization. The hike is about 13 miles one way with an elevation gain of about 2600 feet. Since Friday would likely be a short day of hiking, I don't see any sense to getting all the way to the Bridge in one push. The camping is reportedly better in the canyons before the Bridge anyway.

Con to Plan A: Due to the remoteness of Rainbow Lodge, cars get broken into with serious frequency. This is a major consideration, so I'm also formulating Plan B...

Plan B: Axed.....
  • Advantage to Plan A is a higher level of adventure
  • Advantages to Plan B are safety of vehicles and two opportunites at Rainbow Bridge, rather than one.
  • I'm going to entertain the idea of renting a vehicle large enough for the group in case of a break-in. Reports say not to leave valueables in the car at the trailhead because they will get stolen. It's a good measure to bring a car that is not one of our precious expedition/adventure means of travel.

So, who is interested? Here is an arial view as well:
rainbow_bridge.jpg

Cheers!
Mark

Available to 10 harebrained adventurers:
  • Mark (that's me...)
  • Brooke (mi esposa)
  • Brian (goodtimes)
  • Meredith
  • Byron
  • Josh
  • Chuck (Ursidae69)
  • Brian (wolfsoul)

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Depending on my work schedule, and *assuming* I don't have any classes that I can't miss (tests, etc), I'd be up for it. Spring break is right around there too....which would make planning easier for me......let me see what the dates are for spring break.......

March 11 - 19th. I'd have to be back in Tucson on the 19th (sunday)---but I have thursdays and fridays off.....so if I give my boss enough notice, I should be able to have him schedule that weekend as my weekend off.....giving me 4 days for the trip.

Question about the weather though......what elevation are we looking at? I just postponed a trip through Aravaipa canyon that same week due to the high probibility of cold weather (I hear there is no way to avoid getting wet in aravaipa----wet + cold = miserable).

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I'm really interested in this, but there is a good chance I'll be having knee surgery the end of February. I'll watch this thread. Always wanted to go there. On a side note, I sure wish I could have hiked the Glen Canyon before Lake Powell.

articulate

Expedition Leader
goodtimes said:
...I'd have to be back in Tucson on the 19th (sunday)---but I have thursdays and fridays off.....so if I give my boss enough notice, I should be able to have him schedule that weekend as my weekend off.....giving me 4 days for the trip.

Question about the weather though......what elevation are we looking at? I just postponed a trip through Aravaipa canyon that same week due to the high probibility of cold weather (I hear there is no way to avoid getting wet in aravaipa----wet + cold = miserable).
Hey Brian - I'll have to be back home on the 19th as well. If we stick to hiking Friday, Saturday and back out on Sunday are you comfortable driving all the way back to Tucson from Page after hiking out that morning?
Elevation: At the Bridge 3600'. The hiking trail, though, goes up to about 6200'. I would expect it to be cold at night, and cool during the day. Aravaipa is dramatically different, as you spend most of the day in the water there. I don't think there are any water crossings to Rainbow Bridge.

New-Found detail: The tour boat option is only going to work if we start the trek on Thursday and come out on Saturday. The earliest boats leave from the marina near Rainbow Bridge in the afternoon; therefore getting a boat back on a Sunday lands us at the vehicles in the evening. We mortals with normal jobs have to be prepared to sell goods and services to the consumer world bright and early on Monday morning. :(

I think Plan A is the way to go. :rappel: It's a greater level of adventure anyway, and it's easier on the time schedule.

Cheers,
Mark

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
As long as it isn't any worse than hiking 13 miles on day #2 of the "death valley death march", then driving from death valley to Los Angeles that afternoon, and getting cleaned up and back to school and work the next day.......(hard to imagine it being worse than that....)

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Sounds like an awesome adventure. I can't commit right now, but am definitely interested. Might I suggest people somehow meeting somewhere with secure parking, and driving a single, insured rental vehicle in to the Rainbow Lodge trailhead. The rental cost could be split amongst the travelers.

whitethaiger

Adventurer
My kind of trip! Unfortunately there are lots of things scheduled for March, but they might not all happen. So I'll follow this one...

I've been to the bridge a couple of times by boat, once with a tour and once with a little rental. The second trip was fun because we could explore some side canyons as we liked, pull up in a little cove and take a swim, etc. This might be an option for this group also. When we did it 10+ years ago with 5 adults and 2 kids it was about the same price as using the tour boat only much better :p

articulate

Expedition Leader
Ursidae69 said:
I'm really interested in this, but...
Alright! I expect quite a few folks will say the same thing, which is why I'm posting this up several months in advance.

I really like Senor Taco's idea of renting an expendible vehicle for parking at Rainbow Lodge. I never would have thought of that on my own: GRACIAS. Since doing the boat option is going to contrain our flexibility, Plan A with a rental vehicle is rock solid.

I'll update the first post to get a list of for-sures and lurkers (Goodtimes, where do you stand?). I'll cap it at 10 adventurers. As the plan develops, we'll work out a meal thingy where we'll divide up the dinners for another level of fun so each of us won't have to pack in every scrap of food for every meal.

Spank me.
Mark

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
articulate said:
Alright! I expect quite a few folks will say the same thing, which is why I'm posting this up several months in advance.

I really like Senor Taco's idea of renting an expendible vehicle for parking at Rainbow Lodge. I never would have thought of that on my own: GRACIAS. Since doing the boat option is going to contrain our flexibility, Plan A with a rental vehicle is rock solid.

I'll update the first post to get a list of for-sures and lurkers (Goodtimes, where do you stand?). I'll cap it at 10 adventurers. As the plan develops, we'll work out a meal thingy where we'll divide up the dinners for another level of fun so each of us won't have to pack in every scrap of food for every meal.

Spank me.
Mark

I should be able to work it out with the boss. If not I can always quit....so put me down as a definate. I also REALLY like Chris's idea about the rental. There may be some logistical obstacles to overcome with 10 people and 10 packs. (2 rentals????)

As for food....I am open to group meals and the such, but this may not be easy considering we will all be carrying the food on our backs instead of in our coolers and fridges. I very rarely "cook" while backpacking. The closest I get to cooking on the trail is boiling water for some dehydrated food for dinner. Otherwise I don't really eat.....I snack on this and that through the day, and only eat dinner if the weather is favorable (exactly the opposite of what I do when I am in civilization....which is seek out the nearest mexican joint and gorge myself on Carne Asada....)

sorry, I won't spank you. but my dog would be happy to beat you with her tail. :insert smilie of your choice here:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
My boy is being born late Feb, can't postpone 'till later in the year = better weather? I'd want to take my other son, how long are the hikes so I can know how long I have to carry him :ylsmoke:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The hike looks to be about 13 miles each way. Later in the year would not be good for me, as I have several trips planned that will interfere....

articulate

Expedition Leader
(Note: first post in the thread is editied....)

Good people of ExPo: Due to the fact that I'm hitched to a foxy blonde, and I wish to remain that way, I've had to change the dates. Specifically I've bumped it a weekend earlier to the 11-14 of March.

All my apologies :eek: I'm a-might bit abashed for having to do this.

I'd much rather do the trek in April, but other stuff is in the way. pskhaat, I wish I could go the other direction on the calendar....

Thanks,
Mark

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I can still do that weekend, but it will be a late start on Friday. My classes don't end until 2:00~ish on Fridays next semester. BTW, that is 2:00 in Tucson....so there is no way for me to beat rush hour traffic in Phoenix. Just something to keep in mind as we firm up plans.

articulate

Expedition Leader
goodtimes said:
I can still do that weekend, but it will be a late start on Friday. My classes don't end until 2:00~ish on Fridays next semester. BTW, that is 2:00 in Tucson....so there is no way for me to beat rush hour traffic in Phoenix. Just something to keep in mind as we firm up plans.
That's postive. Cool. What do you think of starting the hike on Saturday and making our way home on Monday? I understand you have a pretty tight work/school schedule, yes?

I think it's viable to drive the whole way on Friday and car-camp it at the trailhead. Wake up Saturday and we're already at the trail. Starting the hike on Friday won't work anyway. The drive is substantial.

Also, if anyone wants to check out some details, this trek is listed in Canyoneering Arizona: Hiking and Exploring the Streambeds, Gorges and Slots of Arizona by Tyler Williams as well as a new book by Bruce Grubbs, Backpacking Arizona: From Deep Canyons to Sky Islands.

I'm looking forward to seeing this crazy monolith.

Later,
Mark

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Since the "new" weekend is the first of Spring Break, getting home on Sunday isn't as big of an issue. I will just let my boss know that I will need that monday off. It shouldn't be a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier