Hella/Optilux H3 "Yellow Star" bulbs

SeaRubi

Explorer
has anybody tried these? I'm eying these in 85w or 100w as replacements for my white OEM 55w in my jeep. The housings are OEM'd hellas.

I just did an H4 convsersion on my headlamps with the e-code lenses. Now that the headlights are putting out enough for street duty I'd like to get some amber bulbs for the fog housings to make them a bit more useful in inclement weather.

thanks for any info!

cheers

edit: e-code ... not "euro-pattern" - ha! :)

Last edited:

asteffes

Explorer
I've used them. They produce yellow light, but I don't think it's really any better than white light in any conditions. Neat idea, doesn't really blow me away.

SeaRubi

Explorer
so - not exactly PIAA 520 Ion's, eh? I knew i was effing up when I sold my set from the rangie :violent-smiley-031:

At one point I swapped the fogs and main beams to yellows...it has the same effect in rain and snow as yellow lenses. Whether you need them is up to you...

Make sure your OEM wiring harness can take 100W if the normal bulb is 55W. Many can't...they will overheat, melt the insulation and then short. Heavier guage harnesses are available for most vehicles, SUVlights.com has a few, I'm sure there are other sources.

There is another option, at one point I ran a slightly different bulb in my fogs...the difference is the OEM style bulbs have an opaque tip, these did not. A dremel was good enough to modify the housing to accept the flanges on the other style bulb. Same wattage, but a little more light output. Something similar might work if your OEM bulbs are opaque on the tip.

-Sean

asteffes

Explorer
The opaque tip is normally there to reduce glare to oncoming traffic. Did you notice a change after removing the coating?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne