Morocco & Western Sahara

Scott Brady

Founder
Great shot:

9_wreck_bright.jpg

And the "bonking locusts" was classic :D

A large group from this forum will be traveling to Baja, Mexico at the end of this month. It is our equivalent to Morocco (I would say)

roamingyak

Observer
Yip

Hi ya,

Glad you liked the locusts - thought a lot about editing it out but decided it might upset some people so left it in ;-p

I spent a year growing up in California and travelled around the southern states & Mexico quite a lot. Many times I was driving around Morocco and kept thinking that it's quite similiar to Arizona & Mexico etc

Though when you get into Western Sahara you start to notice that you might be next to a huge piece of sand - it keeps blowing everywhere. You guys replaced the big sandy desert side of things with an ocean, which is surely against the rules!

Cheers, dj

articulate

Expedition Leader
roamingyak said:
I spent 6 months mucking about & filming in Morocco & Western Sahara last year, so anybody interested in those areas may find my site of interest?

www.roamingyak.org
I swear this site gets more interesting every freaking day.

You have some fun photos, and this one - with all my blessings - takes the cake; and makes a fine statement. Exploration: Leave your mark on the world. My bladder feels good just looking at it.
7_muna_peeing.jpg

Cheers,
Mark :p

roamingyak

Observer
Meet Muna

:)

Glad you like the shot. That's my mate Muna who I had the pleasure of travelling with for a while (and his wife Jo).

He's a laid back South Africa musician and I thought the shot captured him very well - leaning back, relaxing and taking his time. Taking pleasure out of the smaller things in life.

Surely a good way to travel....

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Great site man, I like the movie clip of you and the goats! Lots of great views, and some that reminded me of Arizona. Looks like you have a great Landy, and was looking for a bit more info on but couldn't find it.

Wil

roamingyak

Observer
Landy info

flyingwil said:
Great site man, I like the movie clip of you and the goats! Lots of great views, and some that reminded me of Arizona. Looks like you have a great Landy, and was looking for a bit more info on but couldn't find it.

Wil

What sort of stuff do you mean?

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
roamingyak said:
What sort of stuff do you mean?

I was looking for more specifics as to your mods and how you outfitted your landy in preparation for your trip(s). For example, tents, gear, fridge/freezer, shower system, ect... Hey that's just me though! Your site is still amazing!

Maybe you could start a thread on here about your rig and your set up?

roamingyak

Observer
Brief landy setup run down

"or example, tents, gear, fridge/freezer, shower system, etc"

OK will do, just quickly for now as busy trying to sell the dvd.

Tent - Imported an Eezi Awn from the Cape Town Safari Centre in South Africa. Also purchased a 3m awning which proved to be very good and a shower skirt for the tent which I've never used.

Roofrack - a 15 year old job from a Farmer who had it stored in his barn. From Brownchurch.co.uk who supply most 110 roofracks in the UK. Made of galvanised steel so heavy and not that great looking, but suits a 110 and very solid.

Fridge - None. Don't eat meat, don't drink beer, so no need (waste of space and money imho)

Shower - a fold up bucket

Batteries - two Optima batteries - one red top and one yellow top together with a National Luna Battery management system (imported from South Africa also - see http://heine.nusa.co.za/ under landy mods & National luna )

Under body - Steering guard and rear fuel tank guard from Safety Devices

Shocks - Koni from Scorpionracing.co.uk - handled my excess weight well - lasted over 2 years so far

Springs - HD LR springs on the front and back, and 130 LR helper springs added to the back to avoid sagging, better than a lift kit and the best option along with air bags from what I can gather.

Fuel tanks - 160 litre Aliminium tank inside behind the baulkhead. 40 litre tank on the right hand side (looking from the back) back wing that joins the main 110 tank. Custom made from Allisport.com - also make very good intercoolers

Water tank and filter system - 35 litre tank on the left hand rear wing - made from ali by Allisport again. Pumped using a 12 volt pump through a water filter system - general ecology brand

12 volt sockets - used what we call DIN sockets - like cigerrette sockets but a much better fit so they don't come out offroad etc

Solar - 40Watt Seimens solar panels added on the roofrack - runs via controller box onto either battery (switch so i can choose what battery to charge). also have an extension lead so that I can take the panel out into the sun if I', parked in the shade etc

More later - will do a page with pictures when I have finished a few other things.....

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
great DVD

Darrin,

Thoroughly enjoyed the DVD. Best of luck on the next project.

Best,

Jeff

VikingVince

Explorer
Darrin,

I've been exploring your website with great interest...thanks for all the info...also, you are the ONLY adventurer/offroader I've encountered who posts a link to Noam Chomsky:exclaim: ...impressive...:exclaim:

overla

Darrin,

Great website, spent hours going through the pics.

Just wondering, what camera do you use as the pictures really are stunning?

I'm very tempted to buy the dvd... but good luck on the next project.

cheers

roamingyak

Observer
Sorry, haven't checked in here for a while...

"you are the ONLY adventurer/offroader I've encountered who posts a link to Noam Chomsky"

:) I have to admit to having a bunch of his cd's copied and sitting in my cab that I give to people who I think might find him interesting (and Howard Zinn, Arundhati Roy etc)

It's hard not to seem religeous about exporting what you like and your ideas to others, so it's an easy way get across how I more or less about things and people can decide for themselves in an unpressured environment etc

There is a good reason why he is keep out of mainstream media - he is sane and sensible ;-) I think his "Propoganda And Control Of The Public Mind" should be taught in all schools and repeated at various ages.
http://www.alternativetentacles.com/product.php?product=170&sd=6A--JC36IBcsTeViVWg

Cool Toyota you have there by the way! I wish I had something more like that - I've just been outside in the sun working on the insides of my landy (now has a 200tdi engine which makes it a little less tractor like ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Just wondering, what camera do you use as the pictures really are stunning?

I'm very tempted to buy the dvd... but good luck on the next project."

I used a Canon Powershot G5 - a 5 meg camera - mostly on automatic, often with a ND4 filter and sometimes with a wideangle. The light in southern Morocco is so good that it's hard not to take good pic's with a good cam.

If you decide to buy a copy of the dvd you will be my first customer from North America - surely a distinction worth having ;-) 400 odd sold so far and no attempted returns!

Last edited:

roamingyak

Observer
Vince,

Where did you get your 12 volt shower kit from? Looks good...

(Camera system would be excellent for my next film, but I'm not going to even ask how much ;-)

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
roamingyak said:
If you decide to buy a copy of the dvd you will be my first customer from North America - surely a distinction worth having ;-) 400 odd sold so far and no attempted returns!

I would like to buy a video but I was worried it wouldn't play? Is there not a difference in the region format or something?

Sorry, I'm dumb about these things:eek:

BTW, I too have enjoyed your photos:beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94