CALMini's awesome Hard-body...

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
SO I was perusing CalMini's site (or more specificaly their Nissan and Suzuki sites as they're now organized: http://calmini.com/ ) and stumbled on this sweet SAS'd Hard-Body. This is one GREAT looking old truck. I was bummed that they don't seem to do anything for us Toyota guy's but then I guess there are LOTS of AM Builders for us to choose from and not so many for the Suzuki, Nissan or esp. the Isuzu crowd eh...

They just don't make'm like they used to IMO. Bare-bones simple and reliable and very stout for their size. This one is a Reg. Cab, but as I've said in many other Nissan threads about these trucks, I think Nissan REALLY nailed it with their X-tra cab compared to the same era's Toyotas. There was actually some usale space back there for gear and an emergency carrying of a third or even a fourth passenger.

Anyway, here are some Pics of this beauty.

1%20(19).JPG

DSCN0021.JPG

1%20(16).JPG

DSCN0028.JPG

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Yeah sorry guys I didn't want to steal them and re-size , but I didn't know they ewre THAT big eh.

Co-opski: is there something not so well done about htat rig??? I don't know CalMini TOO well, bu their Sammy stuff seems to be tough as eh.

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
YIKES!!!!!! yeah, THAT would be a problem eh... I guess the SFA Suzy's are not conversions so I guess that's why thier stuff hold up well there.

Sad to hear that cause the truck above sure looks awesome. Looks can't be everything clearly...

Cheers

Dave

Casper

Adventurer
Hopefully the front axle does not fall off with that Calmini Kit. Nice truck over all.

Yeah sorry guys I didn't want to steal them and re-size , but I didn't know they ewre THAT big eh.

Co-opski: is there something not so well done about htat rig??? I don't know CalMini TOO well, bu their Sammy stuff seems to be tough as eh.

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue,
I have no experience with Calmini myself but many have had this problem with the design of the SAS kit and instructions.
Here is a good read from Nissan Off-Road (NOR)
If I was looking for a solid front axle rig I'd be in an '85 4runner or pick up if you know what I mean. :smiley_drive:

http://www.nissanoffroad.net/messageboard/index.php?topic=1321.0

YIKES!!!!!! yeah, THAT would be a problem eh... I guess the SFA Suzy's are not conversions so I guess that's why thier stuff hold up well there.

Sad to hear that cause the truck above sure looks awesome. Looks can't be everything clearly...

Cheers

Dave

I am not affiliated with Calmini in any way, I do however have a ton of there products. Don't judge a product by one thread. If you do more searching, you will find the true answers out there. The one documented truck getting totaled was not from the weld breaking, but from the bolt actually shearing in half, because it backed out, and got fateged. This is a result of pore maintenace then it is product peformance. The track bar bolt could use a gusset, but come on, if you can't figure that out on your own, you shouldn't be SAS'ing you truck.
Second, there has been NO DOCUMENTED proof of kit failures with the folks who are using the kit as it is designed, with 33 inch tires and the swaybar left connected. It clearly states on there website that this is what you should be running. If you are dumb enough to run say 35 inch tires and no swaybar for maximum flex (like me) then you should expect things to not hold up and redesign accordingly. Or heck, ask the company what they think (I did, and they gave me ideas to strengthen their kit)

I am not trying to start anything, but I just hate to see good companies get a bad rep because folks didn't follow the recomedations when they bought it. Esspecially Nissan companies. We have so few aftermarket supporters compaired to Jeep or Toyota that we can't afford to lose one. In a nut shell, don't hate a company because "it's the cool new thing" to do. Do some research. You might just discover the truth.

Cheers,
JSP

P.S. Sorry about the cr&&y spelling, can't find my dictionary

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I am not affiliated with Calmini in any way, I do however have a ton of there products. Don't judge a product by one thread. If you do more searching, you will find the true answers out there. The one documented truck getting totaled was not from the weld breaking, but from the bolt actually shearing in half, because it backed out, and got fateged. This is a result of pore maintenace then it is product peformance. The track bar bolt could use a gusset, but come on, if you can't figure that out on your own, you shouldn't be SAS'ing you truck.
Second, there has been NO DOCUMENTED proof of kit failures with the folks who are using the kit as it is designed, with 33 inch tires and the swaybar left connected. It clearly states on there website that this is what you should be running. If you are dumb enough to run say 35 inch tires and no swaybar for maximum flex (like me) then you should expect things to not hold up and redesign accordingly. Or heck, ask the company what they think (I did, and they gave me ideas to strengthen their kit)

I am not trying to start anything, but I just hate to see good companies get a bad rep because folks didn't follow the recomedations when they bought it. Esspecially Nissan companies. We have so few aftermarket supporters compaired to Jeep or Toyota that we can't afford to lose one. In a nut shell, don't hate a company because "it's the cool new thing" to do. Do some research. You might just discover the truth.

Cheers,
JSP

P.S. Sorry about the cr&&y spelling, can't find my dictionary

Well thats good to hear. I agree, there just aren't that many Nissan AM supliers and yeah... if you're going to completely re-design your front suspension and fit pieces that ewre never meant to be there, there is certainly a bit of "Caveat Emptor" and some assumed risk. You gotta also think that the general abuse will cause wear and stress to parts that were not again, designed to be used that way.

Thinking about it, seeing as the Toyota crowd is pretty much THE bench mark for sas knowledge (because there were acualy factory SFA rigs brought here to copy) I can honstly say I've never seen a Toyota just slaped together with out a modicum of "home engineering" and strengthining to be done. Thing is I'd guess SOMEONE had to break something before someone said HEY: we need a GUSSET here or there. AND so the kit soon reflect's that need.

Like I said, I'm more interested in the SUzuki stuff personaly, but I'm glad to see someone stepping up and tackling the Nissan needs cause there are NOT TOO many people out there doing it.

Glad to hear some good counterpoint opinions. Thanks Casper. Glad you're happy with the product you bought eh. I'll now be reading more about your build and looking @ the front end espescialy. I'm interested to see that more Nissan guy's aren't running a Toyota SFA (seems 80 series axles would be a good match for the beefy rear Nissan unit. certainly far stronger then the typical D44 people use...) or even a foriegn sourced Nissan unit from a Patrol. I was behind an Xterra and then a heavily moded first-gen Pathy yesterday and while the rear Diff was certainly hanging down quite low, it looked BEEFY with all the tube gusseting. look like you need to run 33" or larger tires to get it to clear rocks, but STRONG none the less.

Cheers

Dave

Casper

Adventurer
Thanks Dave, all good points. I am also glad someone understood my post, I was thinking after I posted it, that it may have come off rude, which was not the intent.

As to why folks in the Nissan croud run a D44 instead of an after market Toy axle is quite simple actually. First, the Nissan is driver side drop. Currently toys are passenger side drop, though companies out there like Trail Gear are making aftermarket housings in driver side drop, for the Tacoma I believe. Second, the WMS to WMS on these axles is 58' I believe. A Nissan is 63' WMS to WMS. It would take huge spacers to bring a Toyota axle to the right width. A 80 to 85 Jeep Waggy D44 however only needs a 1.25 to 1.5 spacer to get it to match. :)

Now, for those that want to go even more custom and get that "extra" flex, you could go with a 77ish F250 HP D44. :wings: This gives you a bunch of benifits, high pinion for one, plus you can narrow the long side axle tube to make the axle 63' WMS to WMS without spacers, and the long side axle then becomes the same length as a waggy D44 (thus you can still run off the shelf shafts :) )

The rears are quite beefy. Haven't really noticed it hanging down all that much, but it's been awhile since I have had a tire under 33' :victory: Only one complaint I have with these axles, since they are Nissan, and AM support is "minimule" at best, parts are expensive. (To regear to 5.13 cost me over $450 for just the gear set, nothing else) :Wow1:

Ok, I have rambled on enough. I appauligized to the OP for taking the thread off course.

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos
:smiley_drive:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
No worries Casper... It's my thread, take it as far off topic as desired eh ;) And again, no worries cause I don't think that your post was rude, you were just defending a suplier you've had good luck with by stating your experience and opinion. Nothing wrong with that Imo.

AS for the front Axles, I see the drop being a problem obviously eh. Guess I never really looked at which side drop they were. PLus I'd imagine there are TONS of D44's out there to be had in N.America. As to the rear axle, yeah the rear axle looked low to me but then the truck was only on 31's or 30's I'd guess where as I have 33's and a Toyo rear axle that is ALOT taller. Like I said, it sure looked to be a beefy axles for sure with all the gusseting from the center-section out along the axle tubes.

Cheers

Dave

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Casper
I did not take it as rude. There just needs to be more people posting up there positive experiences with the kit/manufacture.

Casper

Adventurer
Casper
I did not take it as rude. There just needs to be more people posting up there positive experiences with the kit/manufacture.

Agreed. I don't know why so many people jumped on the "They Suck" wagon. I honestly think it's because, in this day and age folks think everything should be perfect, and if it's not then it's the manufactures fault, and has nothing to do with the fact that they are radically changing their vehicle and using it in ways that are just insane. That, coupled with the fact that very few poeple will speak up when things go as expected, but when things go wrong, everyone seams to think they should speak up.

I can honestly say I have never had an issue with Calmini. I have gotten everything in the time they specified. I have installed two of there SAS kits. The first one I had some issues with, called them and they spent roughly an hour on the phone with me as I e-mailed photos, only to find out I had the part backwards. The second kit went smoother (no backwards parts this time :) ) however there was an issue with one of the cross members. Looked like they didn't put it in the jig right when they made it. After talking with them on the phone and explaining the problem, they asked that I send it back. Shipping from my door to them, and then back again with a replacement cross memeber took 3 days. I can't complain about that. They took care of me in excelent time.

I will recomend them to anyone.

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos
:smiley_drive:

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
I have the Calmini suspension for the front and the Calmini steering...The steering, well, I wish it could be better but it works...the suspension is very solid but I wish it came with grease zerks.

I know a few people that had some issues with Calmini customer service but I can honestly say anytime I needed anything they helped as best they could and even helped me save a few bucks in the process.

It's difficult being one of a handful of manufacturers and making everyone happy. We all have different personalities and everyone can get rubbed the wrong way. Me? I'm a satisfied customer and will go back to them if and when the money comes available.

Digging that seriously cool flatbed! I've considered the solid axle swap but am holding on to the IFS for now. Maybe someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles