FJ80 Expedition Vehicle

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
At Senor Scott's request, I thought I'd add my rig!

Enjoy!

1992 FJ80, 3FE 200,000 miles, all OEM parts from American Toyota, Albuquerque, NM

Built for travel/expedition wheeling

OME 850 front/863 rear Heavy Suspension/OME N71e(front) N73(rear) Shocks
OME Steering Stabilizer
31x10.5R15 BFG Mud Terrain Tires on Stock Alloy Rims
2 Spare 31x10.5R15 BFG Mud Terrains on Stock Alloy Rims
ARB Bumper with Ramsey Rep 8K Winch
PIAA 120 XT Spotlights
Safari Snorkle with Centrifugal pre-cleaner
Factory Toyota Side Marker Lights
Optima Red Top Main Battery
Battery Isolator
Remote Located Optima Blue Top Marine Battery
Con-Fer Porthole Rack, 5'x8', modified to fit rooftop tent
Expedition Exchange twin NATO can holder (On roofrack)
Hannibal Rooftop Tent
Hannibal Awning with side enclosure
Engel 35 Refrigerator
Constant 12V outlet on center console
A-Pillar GPS mount for the trusty Magellan 4000XL
Rear Cargo Floor with tie down rails
Pioneer CD/MP3 player with XM Roady Receiver
Pioneer Speakers in Stock Locations, 10" Subwoofer in rear
George’s LEDs lighting
El Cheapo Radio Shack CB, Firestick antenna on ARB with quick release

Future mods...
1HD-T Turbo Diesel, A442 Trans and T-Case :Wow1:

...and the last picture is the lightweight way to do an expedition through Baja!

65272841_6AR4X-M.jpg

67307287_GhGeQ-M.jpg

67307233_bwr9y-M.jpg

65272976_VnPts-M.jpg

67307189_a4WzT-M.jpg

-H-

Attachments

• LCGonzagaRd.jpg
    LCGonzagaRd.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 800
Last edited:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Hello and welcome! Looks like you enjoy a bit of Baja every now and then :cool:

:eek: NICE Land Cruiser !!! :Wow1:

Looks like you have plenty of goodies there to keep you smiling all the way "there" and back, wherever "there" may be. I love it. Are you the original owner? Over what kind of time-frame did you add all of the fun stuff? How do you like the Hannibal tent? Have you used in rain/wind/snow? , Regarding a diesel conversion, how do the numbers pan out with the current price of diesel fuel?

Thanks for posting. Man, what a sweet rig. World-class :victory:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I bought it a couple of years ago (3 in October) with 172K on it, but very well maintained by a Toyota fan, and it still runs great. First mods were the suspension and ARB/winch combo (I had the winch in the garage from an FJ60), and I've been adding little bits here and there. The most recent mod was the dual battery system and refrigerator, which I love.

The Hannibal tent and awning are great. We (my wife and I) just got back from a quick overnight on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and still love the comfort and convenience of the tent. I've been through rain, wind, sleet, cold and heat, and its held up well. The rain fly is a bit lightweight, but I've never had any leakage issues, even when not using the fly.

Prices on the conversion run about $12,000.00 US, which would basically have a HD-T vehicle ordered, shipped to Canada, and the swap (engine, transmission, t-case & other bits) completed north of the border. If I were to look at recouping that in gas $, it just wouldn't make sense, but comparing the investment to what a new(er) vehicle runs, and the resale value when converted being steady, it becomes a better option.

-H-

Attachments

• Cruiser200K.jpg
    Cruiser200K.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 349

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
More Pics!

Ok, I think I've got this picture thing down....

-H-

Attachments

• BajaBeach2.jpg
    BajaBeach2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 501

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
And the lightweight approach to Baja!

-H-

Attachments

• GonzagaRdSm.jpg
    GonzagaRdSm.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
OH MAN! We need to get together. BajaTaco is also in Prescott.

Your truck is a premium example of a well designed and functional expedition vehicle. The diesel conversion sounds incredible. Cant wait to hear more about it. :lurk:

The last time I was at Specter, they had a 4.2 on crates, with the tranny, tcase and everything. Ready to go!

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
She's in "economy mode" since we got back from Toroweap this weekend....no roofrack....

It's tough to look at a 2004 Tacoma like yours and not see the potential, with some better economy to boot, but I keep thinking that the diesel conversion is less expensive than a new ride....and then I surmise that the $20K I'd spend on a new rig would fund the conversion plus a nice 2000-2004 BMW 1150GS Adventure motorcycle too!

Once this "expedition" bug bites it kinda works its way into everything you do!

-H-

Scott Brady

Founder
Hltoppr said:
....and then I surmise that the $20K I'd spend on a new rig would fund the conversion plus a nice 2000-2004 BMW 1150GS Adventure motorcycle too!

I am all over that plan. The 1150GS is an awesome ride! For those not familiar, here is a little piece of heaven :cool:

1150gs.jpg

The challenge with the Tacoma will be the initial investment, PLUS the extra 10k+ to outfit it. Your 80 is ready to go (mod wise), with a 300,000 mile plus service life on the chassis. Swap the motor and you will have the coolest machine this side of a BJ75 crew cab :D

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Thanks for the replies. That tent sounds nice! I have definitely eyeballed them on the web for some time, but never had a chance to get an opinion from an owner who had put it through the paces. Ahhh yes, the fridge. That has to be one of my all-time favorite additions. Can't beat it :D

Hltoppr said:
Prices on the conversion run about $12,000.00 US, which would basically have a HD-T vehicle ordered, shipped to Canada, and the swap (engine, transmission, t-case & other bits) completed north of the border. If I were to look at recouping that in gas $, it just wouldn't make sense, but comparing the investment to what a new(er) vehicle runs, and the resale value when converted being steady, it becomes a better option.

Hmmm... so you would be getting a used drivetrain then? rebuilt? I am not up to speed on this. But sounds like if you can basically "renew" the reliability of the vehicle for a reasonable price, then that would be a great way to preserve such a great means to get to all of your adventures.

Did you get any pics from your stint on the north rim? Post a couple!

expeditionswest said:
OH MAN! We need to get together. BajaTaco is also in Prescott.

No way... did u guys meet in Presky?

Attachments

• 4104.jpg
    4104.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 4103.jpg
    4103.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 4105.jpg
    4105.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 4106.jpg
    4106.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 0
  • 4107.jpg
    4107.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 4108.jpg
    4108.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 0

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
A 1150GS A just sold on advrider.com for $6K! 50K miles, but that's still a great deal!

It's funny that EW and I haven't met yet! Maybe Jerome for Breakfast some morning?

Anyway, I'll throw the tent on sometime so that you can get a close up look at it at a run. It's really comfortable and well put together.

As for Toroweap, here are a couple of pics!

-H-

Attachments

• Canyon2sm.jpg
    Canyon2sm.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 187

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The "no services for 61 miles one way; Warning" sign on the way in. The road is good, just remote.

-H-

Attachments

• Toroweap Signsm.jpg
    Toroweap Signsm.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 180

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Awesome pics!!! Thanks for putting them up ;)

Don't get me started on the bike thing...

I just met Andy Grider yesterday. Talk about getting psyched up to want to go ride across the middle of nowhere on a motorcycle... I was talking to him about his recent 3rd overall in the Tunisia Rally for KTM Gauloises. Nine days, 2,784 kilometers :Wow1: I can't imagine...

Yes, I would love to see the tent. I am set with my sleeping arrangements, so won't be getting one - but I just think are so neat and have always wanted to use one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles