Table Mesa Road (FR41) and FR42

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
My wife, Amy, and I along with a good friend visiting from out of town hit the trails yesterday for some Arizona Off-Roadin Adventure!:victory: :archaeolo

We were planningon FR42 but it has been closed due to the recent forest fires. They have actually closed just about all the trails and dirt roads in the Bartlett Reservoir and Horseshoe Dam Road area due to flooding and erosion problems resulting from the fires last summer. Even so, Bartlett Reservoir is still a very beautiful area to visit! The roads are closed until further notice so I'll keep you all posted as I am now set on doing FR24!
On our way out we did pass a group of 3 Wranglers on their way into the area so there may be some trails still open? They were all white, modified and very clean. Almost looked like they may have been a jeep tour of some sort as all three Wranglers looked to be modified and accessorized identically.

So on we went, North on FR24 (Cave Creek Rd running North of Scottsdale area) until we met FR41 (Table Mesa Rd). We hung a left and took Table Mesa Road all the way to highway I17. The length of Table Mesa Rd crosses a few mountains and valleys while offering a very diverse collection of desert vegetation and interesting rock structures. I has about 3 good river crossings. The water was no more than a foot deep at any of them but I'm sure it would be deeper and faster after a good rain. Most of the road was easy with a few moderate sections. I only went into 4low once but it probably was not necessary. I think most stock vehicles with high clearance would be fine. It is a well established forest road and long sections are littered with a base of 3-6" rocks.

I'd recommend this one for an easy ride to get you out there. It's a bit long with very few obstacles or challenges but the scenery and the changing fall colors mixed in with the fire scorched landscape makes for a worth-wile adventure:sunflower

Last edited:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Bummer on the unused waypoints!

FR41 is the one we recently did as part of the ExPo Rally. I agree - beautiful drive!

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Pskhaat, I'd say its about 2-3 hours, probably closer to 2 hours. We fell under some time constraints so I was driving the trail a little faster than I should have or would have liked to. We spent so much time exploring earlier in the day that we needed step up the pace a bit. But then again what's the fun if you don't power-slide around a corner along the edge of a cliff! :eek: :victory:

Chris, this was different from the road we did on the Rally, although we may have done a portion of it. We were on the section of 41 East of I17 and South of Bloody Basin Road.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
The Pictures are in!

Here are a few pictures of the Bartlett Resevoir and Table Mesa Road heading West. For those not familiar with AZ, both locations in Arizona, North of Phoenix.

Attachments

• Bartlett Sun.JPG
    Bartlett Sun.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Bartlett Resevoir Dam.jpg
    Bartlett Resevoir Dam.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Bartlett resevoir Yellow Cliffs.JPG
    Bartlett resevoir Yellow Cliffs.JPG
    447 KB · Views: 41
  • Table Mesa Rd - The Long Road!.JPG
    Table Mesa Rd - The Long Road!.JPG
    378.4 KB · Views: 40
  • FR41 River Crossing.JPG
    FR41 River Crossing.JPG
    443.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Bartlett Resevoir.JPG
    Bartlett Resevoir.JPG
    377.3 KB · Views: 37

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Great pics Brian. When are we gonna run fr41 again? I wanna go next time. I am not properly equipped to run fr42, but it is supposed to be a great trail, if it ever reopens.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Aaron
I'd be up for it anytime. Maybe even explore a few of the side trails that may have a few more challenges.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Great pics Brian!

I always wanted to head up there......but that was before I had my WonderRunner......the old Buick Le Sabre just wouldn't cut it!

Love your pics!............and now you even have a pic to place in the ..................Got~"Cereus giganteus"......?

Great News here!

The "Scenic WonderRunner" is HEALED!!!!!!!!!!!!!::jump:

The problem with my Overdrive was a plugged "water bypass" at the temp sensor bypass manifold. Exactly what I told my rebuilder 6 weeks ago!!!!! UG!:rolleyes:

So hopefully I'm all set with a complete engine rebuild bored out .20 Over......new Chrome Downey Headers.....all new timing belt, water pump and all other misc. parts!

When I first bought the truck a year and a half ago......I knew it needed "headgaskets". I had this done.....but this shop put a defective passenger side head back on my truck which had a crack and caused water to get in the oil (so they never fixed my original problem!). This is what prompted my current complete engine rebuild. So hopefully I'm good for at LEAST 150,000+ miles!

I'm so sick of engine problems!!!!!!!!!!!

If my tennants move out of my condo near Old Town Scottsdale soon.....I want to come over and hang out a while and do some exploring!

Last edited by a moderator:

clarkrw3

Observer
Sound nice!!

I have done FR42 before, great trail. I also went out recently with my dad to run it when we had some friends in town and found out it was closed. The CSC club contacted the Forest Service about doing trail maintance on FR42 to help get it reopened. There response was thanks, but we are keeping it closed to revegetate (however long that takes) and that they will deside after that if it is to be reopened and if they need help with it....I assume that it will need a lot of work with the amount of erosion seen in that area.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
SWR!
Great news on the Overdrive, at least the problem has been found and you can get back on the road to the trails!

Clark, great info on 42. Re-vegitation probably takes a while, but it would be great to help them rebuild the trail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94