brush guard-style front end protection

asteffes

Explorer
What do you guys think of the usual brush guard-style bumper protection? I know that in most cases they just reduce approach angles and aren't all that protective, but I do see many a Land Rover (here and in other off road-oriented sites) with these sorts of brush guards installed.

I ask because I'm running out of options for mounting some large lights on the front of my Tacoma. The bumper provides little metal to bolt them to, and it's not in the right place to mount the large Hella Rallye 4000s I was hoping to use.

Of course, there is the hard-to-find ARB bullbar for the '05+ trucks, but I'm not sure I really need or want to go that far. I'm not planning to risk my truck with heavy off-roading. I'm more interested in cruising on easier trails and dirt roads, and light trails up in Tahoe. My truck is brand new and I'm not in a financial position to risk serious damage like crumpled steel or - God forbid - a rollover. I'm more than willing to turn back when the going gets too rough for my comfort zone.

All that said, Westin is at least planning to offer one of their brush guards for the '05+ Tacomas. I'm interested in one as a good platform for bolting the Hella 4000s, as the only other real option is the ARB bumper. Westin does offer a joke of a "bull bar," too, but it's limited to 6" lights, and it's very cheap-looking.

This is what I'm thinking about at this point. I would appreciate any thoughts.

Last edited:

asteffes

Explorer
I should also mention the Randy Ellis light bar piece, which seems solid enough for mounting lights, but puts them rather low. If I'm paying $200+ for some big lights, I sure want them where they will do the most good.

Last edited:

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Demello Offroad has a decent option, and ARB has recently came up with a '05 and up bumper and I think just introduced the Safari Snorkel for them too. They are a better option IMO, but I notice you dislike that, but it all boils down to preference. I think the example you have shown will impact your approach angle too much.

Wil

erin

Explorer
:ylsmoke:
I would think that you could have a custom light bar that wraps up and over the front bumper to place the lights higher like you seem to desire. It looks like you could have it mount through the gap above the valnce and wrap up and over, that way you wouldn't affect your approach angle that severly. Just be careful with your light placement so you don't restrict air flow to the radiator to much and I think you would get the desired results.

good luck

gjackson

FRGS
As one of those LR people with a full bull bar, I can give some reasons for it. Certain designs for the Defender do not reduce approach angle. The SG one actually increases it over stock. I installed mine for front end protection (against animals as well as branches etc on the trail.) And protection for the steering conponents. Also as a mounting point for the winch and lights. And for front tow points. And for a support for the roof top tent ladder. Works well in all those capacities. Big drawback is the need for heavier springs at the front to off-set the weight.

Obviously you need to decide what you want on the front of your own vehicle. Tow points are probably the most important of all of those and are well worth considering if you don't have any already.

cheers

clarkrw3

Observer
I think that the ARB is worth the protection even in city driving. They offer a lot of protection search around on IH8MUD in the 80 section about all the trucks that have been saved major damage in finderbenders with the ARB. Worth every cent IMO. and looks good IMO also

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
You hear this a lot, but those bolt on wrap-around guards are often damage multipliers. I've seen two cases personally (and read of dozens others) where that kind of bar bent or came loose during moderate impact and caused more damage to the vehicle than otherwise it would have.

Case in point on this board was fj803fe in his 100 series LC that stuck an elk. An elk will do serious damage one way or the other but in this particular case the 100 series /grazed/ the elk if you will. Without that additional guard a single side of the 100 series would have had some damage--or even none at all as the strike was very low on the OEM bumper. However, the guard bent and did damage not just to the bumper, but to the quater, the hood and pushed up against the quarter panel on the opposite side. Significantly more damage in his opinion.

asteffes

Explorer
Ok, the Westin stuff is out. I'm convinced it would just make things worse in an impact. I've seen the Demello product and it's ok. It and the Randy Ellis lightbar are both probably damage multipliers, too, given how they attach to the chassis.

Maybe the ARB is the best option afterall. I have read that they are in high demand right now and very difficult to get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles