Not a van but I thought I would share it anyway.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
7.3 excursion scratch built pop top job I am wrapping up!!
one of a kind for sure.

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1333.jpg

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Nice! Did you mold the fiberglass yourself? What is the function of the jog in the middle?

What is the stand-up height through the rear hatch?

I've wondered about excursions / suburbans when i was shopping for a 4x4 van. They're so much more available!

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Standing height is over 7 feet tall probably closer to 8 feet I will measure it next time I have the top up. Yes I built the top myself. no real function for the step in the top other than a basket rack and solar panels and lights will be mounted on that level.
Here is a video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6x6vQ-5bUs"]YouTube - MVI 1365[/ame]

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Once again, excellent job. I really like the big size of mesh windows that you use.

I'm curious as to how the decision making process went for the pop top access to go in the back cargo area? I would think that it may be a hassle to move cargo in order to get up and down. It's always a give and take, I would have liked to be a beer drinking, chip eating, lurker for that discussion.

Derick, your tops are noticeably higher than SMB and especially GTRV. Any particular reason? What is tha actual measurement from the pop top floor (stock vehicle roof) to the pop top ceiling?

r_w

Adventurer
DAMN. :drool:

I do like conversions that keep as much of the original roof in place--especially over the occupants, as I have seen what happens when a "normal" bubbletop van rolls. :Wow1:

If you make a van poptop that tall, you could probably have over 6 foot of headroom downstairs while someone was sleeping in the top.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Thanks everyone!!
R_W my van has 8ft of standing room with the top up. I am 6'2" and I have to stand on my toes to touch the ceiling. When sitting in my bed you have about 3 feet of head room, more than enough to sit upright and be able to put clothes on.

T-low
The decision process was not as exciting as that (all though beer and chips sounds good about now)
It went in the back for several reasons.
1 liability
2 it allows the bed to be continuous and not be broken up so that you can lay in bed while another person climbs down.
3 the excursion limited has the dvd player, screens, ac and heat in the headliner up in that area and nothing in the rear of the vehicle.
So as it goes the hole went in the rear.

The pop tops go up about 38 inches plus the height of the roof 10 or so inches so sitting in bed you have plenty of room. I do make my tops go higher than the smb tops they are also longer and wider. I do this because smbs feel cramped to me. Everytime I am in one it feels claustrophobic. The beds are to narrow, to short and I cannot sit up right in bed. To me it seems like common sense to me. If your going to make something like this make it as spacious as possible, after all the whole point of the poptop is to gain extra usable space when camping. I also offer a double wall insulated canvas with foam core for insulation so a normal size furnace keeps these tops toasty warm with very little effort. Last week i installed a furnace on a smb and the owner tells me he has Top Envy!! That is probably one of the best compliments of all.
Derek

dsw4x4

Adventurer
interior video

I took some measurements on the top today for those interested.
standing height floor to ceiling with top up 80 inches
sitting height in bed with top up is 33 inches
here is a video of the interior.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QpIGBBiyb0"]YouTube - MVI 1370[/ame]

TroySmith80

Adventurer
I also offer a double wall insulated canvas with foam core for insulation so a normal size furnace keeps these tops toasty warm with very little effort.

This i had not heard of before. That may address my single biggest complaint with the poptop, and the main reason i went with a hard-top. If that really works well, i may be inclined to go that route, because the giant hard-top is not doing my fuel economy (or rather, the lack thereof) any good at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94