Fridge/Freezers

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Hi all,

I know that most of you have nice fridge setup's already, but I'm still using my trusty "Koolatron Kool-o-matic" for the past few years. It draws way too much power and doesn't stay cold enough. So the quest has been on to find a real expedition fridge.

There are a number of manufacturers out there that sell low draw fridges. But the newer three way fridges have peaked my interest (I've seen a few ads in Australian 4WD Magazine). They are 110, 12 Volt and Propane gas all in the same package. Being able to use Propane to keep the fridge running overnight inside a ventilated truck canopy (I don't sleep in there) would be really nice - don't have to worry about the battery at all.

I was particularity looking at models made by a US company called Dometic. They use an absorbtion technology that is (according to what they say) more efficient. At 25 C, they say it takes 150 Ah/24h, which I believe is high compared to others. But, a standard screw on propane bottle will last days... Here is what it looks like: Dometic fridge

What do you guys think?

Pete

Scott Brady

Founder
I like the three way units. They are less efficient in 12v mode, which would be required while driving. Propane units wont work while moving or tilted.

I am curious of what you come up with. Keep us posted and throw out units you come across.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
That's an interesting point I didn't know - that they can't be tilted in gas mode. Not really a big issue, but something I didn't think of...

I'll post different models of fridges that I'm looking at. My brother and sister in law are going to Australia for a vacation so if I find a good unit from there that is 110 & 240 I might get them to bring it over the pond. Only problem so far is they are all 240 AC only

VikingVince

Explorer
from the research I 've done on this, you don't want a Dometic for offroading...they only work when they're level...check out Engel, Norcold, Coolmatic (imported by WaecoUSA)...they all have Danfoss compressors which enable them to work up to a 30 degree tilt.

I have a 50 liter Coomatic frig/freez and an auxillary battery in the bed of my Tacoma...it works GREAT!!!...I mean, my beer is COLD...can't beat that! :) Also, consider an aux battery with high amp hours. I have a Concorde Lifeline 31T (an AGM - absorbed glass mat) with 110 amp hours. I can sit for 3-4 days easily without charging the aux battery. Plus AGM batteries are supposedly better for offroading than traditional dry cell because they withstand vibration better and recharge faster. Also, I wouldn't go any smaller than 50 liter...it fills up fast!...hope this helps

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I have to agree with Vince.

He makes a good point about the size. For trips any longer than a weekend (esp. for two or more people), the 50-60L units are really nice to have, as you don't have to be so scrupulous and logical about what you fill the fridge with. The extra volume can even be nice on short trips, because you can put ice containers in them (since you don't need to carry as much food/drink) and make them use very little battery juice that way (great for a 3-day weekend in hot temps. when the truck is parked at camp the whole time). However, if you mainly do short trips, the smaller models can be a great savings on weight and bulk.

The 3-way fridge is great for the versatility, and really becomes useful if you plan to park the truck and run the battery down for more than 3-4 days or so. The propane can be an alternative to having to use solar to keep the battery(ies) topped off.

As mentioned, the ability to operate at angles (30 degrees) is pretty much mandatory for a trail/expedition vehicle.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Thanks Vince & Baja...

I do a mix of short and longer trips. If it's a longer trip, it's usually about a week and the truck can be parked for two days at a time once I get to camp. Right now for those trips I'm taking a second Coleman Extreme cooler with ice. Actually keeps the ice in tact for a week, but is just way too heavy! So I can see what you mean about a 50L model.

So I guess the Dometic is right out... and so will be all of the three way fridges I have been looking at then. Might have to adjust the my thinking towards an electric fridge with an aux battery or a dual battery system. I don't enjoy dealing with batteries so I have been avoiding those topics a bit ;)

Can we talk for a bit about electric fridges and a single auxillary battery? If I get a high amp hours battery like Vince is saying and keep it in the bed, could it be possible to run the fridge and charge the battery using a solar charger for 3+ day trip? I have small solar panel which is useless for anything but winter starting, so how big would have have to go (I guess in watts) to make it work? Or would I have to connect up to the charging system of the truck similar to BajaTaco's system?

Also, what brand of fridges are you guys using?

Pete

Scott Brady

Founder
I have two of the 45L models, and find them to be a bit snug for trips longer than 3-4 days. What makes it worse, it that I need to use two coleman jell ice packs to keep things cool through the night. I do not have the aux. battery system finished yet, so this is a requirement.

So for the first few days I can bring lots of fresh food and meals, etc. Drinks are always fed in as each day starts.

When the aux. battery system is finished, I can ditch the ice packs, and gain another day or two of food, which will push this to a 5-6 day fridge. The danfoss compressors are very efficient and quiet.

If I was buying one new, it would be the 60L.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Have any of you seen this product before?

tl971.jpg

It's a Two Zone adapter for Engel/ARB fridges... It fits on top of the fridge to create a second compartment, adding 21 - 40 litres depending on the fridge.

Details here: http://www.twozone.com.au/

Pricing in Australia is in this range: http://www.discountcamping.com.au/index/products/twozone/fridges

Pete

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
mountainpete said:
Can we talk for a bit about electric fridges and a single auxillary battery? If I get a high amp hours battery like Vince is saying and keep it in the bed, could it be possible to run the fridge and charge the battery using a solar charger for 3+ day trip? I have small solar panel which is useless for anything but winter starting, so how big would have have to go (I guess in watts) to make it work? Or would I have to connect up to the charging system of the truck similar to BajaTaco's system?

Also, what brand of fridges are you guys using?

Pete, you could use solar alone to charge an aux. battery, but I think you would really be limiting the potential return on your battery investment quite a bit. By not connecting it to the vehicle's charging system, you will miss out on the opportunity (every time you drive the truck) for a relatively fast charging source to get your battery topped off. Chances are you won't have the solar hooked up while driving (unless you can do full-time roof panels) and even when you do have the solar hooked up, it will likely take hours to get a drained battery charged back up.

How big would you need to go for solar? I'm not sure, but my guess is probably 100w. Keep in mind that this depends on a lot of variables. From what I have seen, solar is very expensive and I'm not sure if the price tag lends itself to the typical budget for a compact expedition vehicle. I would be tempted to just buy an additional deep cycle battery, and only take it along on trips where you intend to be parked for more than 3 days.

To answer your last question, I am using a Norcold fridge (same as Engel/ARB).

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
mountainpete said:

It's a Two Zone adapter for Engel/ARB fridges...

Yea, I have seen them quite some time ago I think. I had forgotten all about them. Seems like a pretty cool option if you have the room for it. Without coils, it will add extra "non-working" volume to the box, so the compressor will have to run more. Something to keep in mind if parked.

Attachments

• 1496.jpg
    1496.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 2

Scott Brady

Founder
mountainpete said:

Pete

Wow! Great find Pete. That looks like a very interesting solution. I am not sure how it would fit though. Time to do some measuring...

gjackson

FRGS
Using a 45L Engel (ARB) in the Sahara and other hot places, I found that I could get about 24hours of operation off an Optima yellow top before I had to run the truck to charge up. Solar has been used by a bunch of people to increase the running time. I think Chris Scott said he could go a couple of days stopped with the solar system. Check his book though.

cheers

Graham

Scott Brady

Founder
gjackson said:
Using a 45L Engel (ARB) in the Sahara and other hot places, I found that I could get about 24hours of operation off an Optima yellow top before I had to run the truck to charge up. Solar has been used by a bunch of people to increase the running time. I think Chris Scott said he could go a couple of days stopped with the solar system. Check his book though.

cheers
Graham

Graham,

I have often considered solar, to make use of the area above the cab of my truck. I do not typically use a rack (I am not a fan of them), except if very lightly loaded.

Have you found any solar arays capable of withstanding scratches, tree branches, and some twisting?

I certainly warants for further research... :coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne