Feasting on Asphalt

Wanderlusty

Explorer
So some of you may have caught this show on Food Network last year when Alton Brown rode his BMW across the US stopping along the way at the best little mom and pop and off the beaten path eateries he could come across. It was but 4 episodes, abbreviated by AB going down and breaking his shoulder....

So I was looking on his site tonight....and...per the schedule page....in April and May of 2007 he shot 6 NEW episodes!:wings:

I don't usually get excited about TV shows, but I really enjoyed FOA last year and am excited to see where they go, and what they eat, this year.

While this is may be not true expedition motorcycling (tho when AB went down last year he was on a narrow two-track) it is motorcycling and very enjoyable TV to boot.

Premier is August 4th.

:eatchicke :roost:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Right on , i can't wait. I love that show.. and especially this particular special. I'd love to do what he's doing.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
IIRC he's on a 1200 GS this time around...guess the broken collarbone on the dirt road/BMW LT combo suggested a different ride.....

Can't wait...I loved the first FOA as well as the regular good eats program!

-H-

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Awesome! I love the series. Setting a reminder right now.

I see Alton riding every once in a while. Half the places he goes on Good eats are places I go. The place he bought the Deep Fryer for the Turkey show is literally across the street from my neighborhood and where I buy all my Little house stuff and small hardware.

I saw Dave Despain and I believe Alton at Outback steak house one night getting on their bikes. Kept thinking...no way. Then I found out Alton lives about 3-4 miles from me and I think Dave is around here (Marietta) as well. I know he lives in GA.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Grim Reaper said:
Awesome! I love the series. Setting a reminder right now.

I see Alton riding every once in a while. Half the places he goes on Good eats are places I go. The place he bought the Deep Fryer for the Turkey show is literally across the street from my neighborhood and where I buy all my Little house stuff and small hardware.

I saw Dave Despain and I believe Alton at Outback steak house one night getting on their bikes. Kept thinking...no way. Then I found out Alton lives about 3-4 miles from me and I think Dave is around here (Marietta) as well. I know he lives in GA.

That's some pretty cool neighbors. I don't typically get too excited about celebrity, but AB is a pretty interesting character. It would be cool to hang out with him, I am sure.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Grim Reaper said:
Does it strike anyone else funny that AB would eat at an Outback? I guess even celebrities and chefs have to muddle through 21 meals a week, so it probably shouldn't surprise me that they'd do fast food and chains once in a while.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
DaveInDenver said:
Does it strike anyone else funny that AB would eat at an Outback? I guess even celebrities and chefs have to muddle through 21 meals a week, so it probably shouldn't surprise me that they'd do fast food and chains once in a while.

You know, I hadn't thoght about that even, but good point. I figure like you said, that you have so many meals to eat in a week, not every one of them is going to be your own cooking or high end gourmet.

I am sure the convenience factor a pretty big one.

And....at least it was Outback and not Mickey D's....you could do a lot worse than outback.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
Ride all day...who wants to cook. Just sit down and eat. :chowtime:

I know for sure it was Dave. He was just pulling his gloves out of his helmet And looked up as I walked past. I did a double take and he gave me a nod that was sort of 'yeah you recognized me". The guy I think was Alton just had got his helmet on and was putting his glasses on. It looked like Alton and it looked like The BMW in the first FOA. I will admit I am not 100% sure because of the helmet but we are talking three miles from where he lives.

What a great series. I only saw the last couple of episodes the last time it ran.

It was just on here this evening ... makes me want to scoot out to Medicine Hat for supper ... wait, that would be tomorrow night's supper :)

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Well, 2 weeks in. The first two episodes have been pretty good. I wanna go :chowtime: some of those places they have been, for sure. The fried chicken....looked so tasty.....

Anyway, so glad they came back for another year, though there are some definite differences. Last year, their support vehicle consisted of a sport ute. This year, their support truck is a full on Semi-truck based RV. I get the feeling this year is not quite as spontaneous. But that is the way of things, I suppose.

I am still digging it, though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke