For Sale 2008 Kimberley Kamper SportsRV w/ roll-over damage

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
SOLD

2008 Kimberley Kamper (new in Jan 2009) SportsRV off-road camping trailer.

This trailer was in excellent (near mint) condition before being hit broadside in a traffic accident this past March and rolled onto its top. It had been used for 17 nights and towed for less than 5,000-miles prior to the collision. When not in use, it has been kept in a heated garage, including after the accident.

The trailer was ordered and directly imported by me. It is legally registered in Nevada, and I have a clear Nevada salvage title in-hand. It's being sold As-Is with no guarantee.

Specifications:

2008 SportsRV

-Treg Hitch (best off-road hitch I've ever used), which was professionally extended a few inches to allow my spare tire swing-away to open. Truck side of hitch was professionally welded (to not move/rotate) onto an adjustable height 6,000-lb. hitch. All this is included and should allow for easy hitching to most tow vehicles.

-Electric drum brakes and manual/mechanical parking brake system.

-Very large fiberglass nose box/storage pod, with LED light, 12V outlet and a filtered venting system (fan) to keep temperatures down for a fridge. I used a very large Engel MT-60 in the nose box. The fiberglass box was almost untouched in the accident; a couple of minor scrapes, otherwise as new.

-Custom stainless steel plate on tongue with lockable holder for a tall, narrow Worthington propane cylinder.

-Custom stainless steel diesel fuel tank (approx. 4-gal.) for the heater, and 2 can fuel/water carrier with locking lid. There is enough room inside this enclosed fuel can carrier for either Wedco or Scepter cans, water or fuel.

-Two Lifeline group 31 batteries (sealed) installed in the stock located under/at the front of the bed with a custom battery mount. Batteries were new & installed in March of 2009 and have very few cycles on them.

In addition to the above features added after delivery, below are some of factory options ordered on the KK trailer.

-Two independent 10A battery chargers, 2 110V outlets inside, Voltmeter, LED lights, water level meter.

-Fox coil-over shocks (optional)

-Removable swing-away can mount for the rear.

-Webasto Diesel heater

-Hi-Top removable 'Tropical' roof for rain but also reduces temp in tent in summer heat.

-Kwik Awning for passenger-side/kitchen area.

-Integrated Ensuite shower room off the main tent attaches with Velcro.

-Approx. 18-19 gallon water tank with electric RV type on-demand faucet and inline filter inside the pullout stainless steel kitchen (all works).

-16x7" steel wheels (3) with 6-lug Toyota bolt pattern. Two 255/85R16 aggressive AT tires mounted (almost new tread), no tire mounted on the spare wheel (I used my truck spare). The wheels are in new condition as I used aluminum wheels.

Undamaged and new today this is a $34,000.00+ trailer.

What's wrong with it?

I think the pictures show the damage as well as I can describe it, but to be as clear and forthright as possible:

The KK was struck on the passenger-side by the front of a Land Rover Discovery II. Most of the impact was absorbed by the wheel/axle. The right side axle is bent. The swingarm structure itself doesn't appear bent or damaged so I think the axle tube could either be straightened or cut off and replaced.

The KK rotated laterally 180-degrees and the top of the KK hit the roadway, with the resulting damage to the top structure and lid (the floor when it's open). The trailer stayed attached to my 4Runner and no damage was done to the car. It was properly righted by a boom tow-truck, then loaded onto a flatbed tow-truck and placed inside my garage.

I have not opened the tent part of the Kamper since before accident. I don't doubt that it can be opened fairly easily, but one of the opening struts is broken and the top is obviously shifted to the left side. Closing it might require a bit of adjustment and/or fixing. I don't care to work on it or repair it. I'm confident the next handy owner will be able to get this KK working fine with a bit of fixing.

Cooker box with 2-burner stove (and broiler) is tweaked/opened. We were never wild about the stove as it's a low BTU unit, though it does simmer very well. We were considering replacing it with a Partner Steel stove.

When new, dry and unmodified, with all the factory options and canvas on-board, this trailer weighted exactly 2,020# at my local truck scales. Though the Kimberly Kampers are accused of being heavy, it's really a matter of how heavy you load them. I've towed many trailers and this was the best tracking and handling bumper-pull trailer I'd had the pleasure of towing. I towed it over some very technical terrain and the KK was extremely stable and secure. The tent system/Kamper is awesome but the chassis is terrific too. I had planned to use it for decades.

James

IMG_5030-1.jpg

IMG_5026.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

Edit-

I don't think there is any tent or canvas damage, I've looked, however I did lift the top several inches recently to look a little closer without completely opening the trailer. Here are two pictures that show some minor damage to the plastic inner liner at the seams, on the left corner with a bit of abrasion from the roll-over, and on the right-front which looks to be just from being pulled. They probably don't even need attention or repair for the trailer to be fully functional, and appear very minor compared to some of the other things that will need work on the trailer. But just to share and show everything possible.

This trailer is a deal at $5k for the right guy who can do a little fixing.

KKleftsideliner.jpg

Left-front

KKRTfrontlinerseam.jpg

Right-front

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Wow. Sorry to hear about that James.

That being said, I have seen this trailer up close and deployed in all of it's glory. Very high quality design and workmanship.
These are UBER RARE in North America and this is the nicest clamshell style trailer I have ever seen.

Bump for a great project!

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I've seen and inspected this rig in it's current state. All it needs to be usable is a spindle replacement on one side. The spindle is, I believe a U.S. sourced Dexter unit.

The rest could be fixed while using the camper. This is a great deal for someone with time and skills to get into a KK. Last time I checked the Oz/U.S. exchange rate it was around $1.06 to $1 making it hard to justify the $30+k it would take to get a new one here.

If I had the cash and the time this would be mine.

OVRLND

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0017
James,

VERY sorry to hear of the accident/damage to your cool KK. Thankfully, there was not collateral damage to you or the 4Runner.
I hope for a quick sale and I know that this won't slow you down for long!

Barry

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yeah it was a bummer but I still have my RTT which I enjoy using on the 4Runner.

I too hope the KK will sell soon, there seems to be a fair amount of interest.

James,

VERY sorry to hear of the accident/damage to your cool KK. Thankfully, there was not collateral damage to you or the 4Runner.
I hope for a quick sale and I know that this won't slow you down for long!

Barry

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Romer- you are industrious! Buy this- using yours as guide tool for repairs - sell your 2002 to cover cost of this much newer model!
D

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I can't believe this hasn't sold yet. Did anyone notice the "OBO"?

This thing is head and shoulders above what else is out there currently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles