Just Purchased my new Dual Sporter!

Colorado Ron

Explorer
After several months of going back and forth, I decided to go smaller and LIGHTER! It took everything I had not to buy a BMW GSA. I really wanted one, but in true World Travel fashion, I chose something more simple. I decided on a Honda XR 650R. Id rather cushion a true offroader than offroad a cushy bike. Plus I wanted something die hard. Seeing as its one Baja 1000 more than once, I figured its proven itself. I went down to buy a new one(About $6300). Added up all the gear I wanted came out closer to $10k for starters. I decided NOT to make a impulse buy and came home to see what was available used.(was hard to leave without a new one). I looked online and found a local one on ebay with nearly all the mods I had planned. For half the price it was hard to refuse. I just got her home tonight, and have yet to get a good pic, but heres the ebay auction link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=180129382679

And a quick view pic.

18seeds

Explorer
Looks great. Last year I had a WR450F that was Titled. I sold it for a YZ250F. It's a better bike for my trail riding style as I am a beginner rider.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The Honda Rs are great bikes! It won't let you down! May I suggest Dirt Bagz for panniers to you. They have enough room (the "Ranger" series) for multi-day rides, if you pack light, and are well built!

Congrats!

-H-

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
One of my favorite bikes. It is a great all arounder. Small enough to "get by" in the woods (kinda), great in Baja, can do highway speeds, I've dared to take in on a track before (sloppy, but fun), great for epic rides too(I'm never as sore as my buddies on the stiff suspenion WR's or CRF's when we ride to Crown king and back etc). About as reliable as a toyota! They old joke is you can throw an XR off a cliff and it will receive maintanence on the way down.
I have a 400 now, but congrats on a great bike! :arabia:

Colorado Ron said:
After several months of going back and forth, I decided to go smaller and LIGHTER! It took everything I had not to buy a BMW GSA. I really wanted one, but in true World Travel fashion, I chose something more simple. I decided on a Honda XR 650R. Id rather cushion a true offroader than offroad a cushy bike. Plus I wanted something die hard. Seeing as its one Baja 1000 more than once, I figured its proven itself. I went down to buy a new one(About $6300). Added up all the gear I wanted came out closer to $10k for starters. I decided NOT to make a impulse buy and came home to see what was available used.(was hard to leave without a new one). I looked online and found a local one on ebay with nearly all the mods I had planned. For half the price it was hard to refuse. I just got her home tonight, and have yet to get a good pic, but heres the ebay auction link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=180129382679

And a quick view pic.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
what a sweet deal!!! I think I would have bought it myself...

I had a XR650L before, and the guy is about right when he says:

thought about buying the XR 650L, but it weighed more, was air and not water cooled, had turn signals that would just get broken off on the trails, and in the end, WASN’T a “race” worthy bike at all.

Speaker

Adventurer
I have that same Baja Designs Tecate light on my LC4. Those things are AMAZING. Grats on the bike.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Thought about reviving this old thread. Im getting ready to start working on the bike again before winter is over. In my search for mod ideas I came across my dream XR! I would love this ride!
2181862507_df50c4c406.jpg

2182649152_1318f926c9.jpg

I must admit its one of the best looking XRs Ive seen!:Astrologist:

Anyone know the best place to get a comfy seat for this bike? Thinking of running the Divide trail from Mexico to Canada this summer and would really like a better seat!

Clutch

<---Pass
Enduro Engineering for the seat...I think. They may only do KTM. I tried checking, but, I think someone stole their web address. You can also try CEET. You can also just pull the cover and ad your own foam.

Let me ask on my bike forums for you.

Baja designs makes the HID kit on the black 650. http://www.bajadesigns.com/
The wheels are Exel rims with Talon hubs probably around a grand for just that wheel set. That tank might be a IMS or a Clarke with a dry break. Plastic, I am guessing is Acerbis. Scotts steering stabilizer, Cycra ProBend Hand guards or might be FastWays (Cycra makes them for FastWay), Answer Pro Taper bar. Maxxis IT tires, (I run those, good cheap durable tire) That is about all I can tell from the picture.

I don't know what that front brake rotor is, not stock...looks like stock exhuast, that has the insert removed.

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
For my next Honda....yes, Mexico is around the bend, and I may not be on the Adventure....I'll likely take some memory foam and put it under the factory vinyl, after cutting out some of the original seat....

Stock seats are just painful on these things....

-H-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles