Isuzu Trooper Help!

kevin

Observer
I just recently puschased a 2000 Isuzu Trooper 3.5L. I have heard that Isuzu will no longer be in the U.S. market after 2006, can anyone confirm this?
If this is true I am greatly concerned about my resale value. I have also been told that the engines are prone to premature failure. When I purchased it I new about the engines oil consumption problem, but figured as long as I kept oil in it it would be fine. I have only had the vehicle about two months and already experienced one mechanical failure (range finder/transmission),and I am now experiencing a minor pinging sound during acceleration on hills. It sounds like a low grade fuel ping, but I am using the specified fuel. I think I should not be having these problems with only 40,000 miles on it, and am considering purchasing a replacement. Any input would be greatly apreciated.

Scott Brady

Founder
In over 90k miles, I have had no mechanical breakdowns or repairs with my 1998 Trooper. It is starting to show its age now though, but only as a result of being owned by me for 5 years (I am one of the 5% of SUV owners that take my vehicles off-highway, even with the new vehicle plates still on them)

The Trooper is an exceptionally reliable vehicle.

For the oil consumption, it helps to use 5w 30 oil and check the level at ever fuel fill-up. The oil consumption is because the rings are too tights a tolerance and do not allow drain back into the crank case. As the engine ages, the consumption becomes less and less (mine only uses a quart in 5,000 miles now).

Zaphod

Adventurer
Concerning strange happenings, I am experiencing a vibration when I accelerate that comes and goes almost like a harmonic (which I'm willing to bet is exactly what I've got). I was told it might be the U-Joint in back or some such thing.

Last time I felt a vehicle vibrate like that, it was my 89 Honda Prelude, and in that case it was the CV joints going bad.

My rig has 65K miles on it, of which 64,990 are ON-road.

Gotta work on that ratio! :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne