Revisit of the Tundra

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
What initially scared me off was the MPG. However I realize that everything will be within 5 mpg of each other. So now I am re-evaluating the Tundra. What I am looking at is the access cab. The bed length of 6'3" seems perfect as I am 6' 2" and that is what drove me away from the Taco. One question, as I know very little about Toyotas, is the rear axle the same 8.5" found in the Taco, except wider of course?

Thanks,
Jon

Last edited:

Westy

Adventurer
Yes, the rear axle and diff are the same as the NON TRD Tacomas, but wider. Mistakenly these are often referred to as 8.4 diffs, when in fact it is actually an 8" ring gear. It is is not interchangeable with the older 8" Toy diffs found in the early trucks/4runners and late model 4runners as well. These are stronger than the early 8" models Toyota used, due to the larger pinion.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
that's the downside to the Tun. no e-locker. of course an ARB would be just as nice! The access cab is great. The wheelbase isn't much longer than the Dcab Taco (if at all). it hauls all our camping gear effortlessly, gets 18.5 mpg rolling down the hiway, and once i had 2300 pounds loaded in the back, and drove a mile into the woods to a cabin.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I like the Tundra a lot!

It's a really nice truck! I too was concerned about the gas mileage on the Tundra....but in the long run....the diff is so small it really does not matter compared to driving what you like and enjoy. I'm a little concerned about the size. It certainly tops my list for a pick up platform. I've considered a pick up......and wondered about putting a pop top camper shell on it with bed, kitchen, bath/shower. Need to study more about weight, size, etc. I'm still early in the learning curve and open to all idea's.

sacto_patrol

Adventurer
Thanks for the feed back on the axle, helps a lot.

At 128" wheel base and the double cab tacoma at 130" I don't see a big deal in wheel base. Sure I won't be running fordyce and the 'con anymore. But I am over that. I can still wheel MOAB :sunflower
Now comes down to the question of width. They appear to be real close to the 80 series cruisers and we all know all the places they can go.

I am thinking 285/75/16's, 1" to 2" lift, ARB in the back (I don't think I would need to regear), a platiform in the bed, with a Can-bak, having all the storage under the platiform I doubt I would need a rack.
Build some bumpers and put a Warn 9.0Rc. Also should add some sliders.
Just need to make sure the whole rig will be under 6'4" as that is the height for my parking garage at work.

Scott Brady

Founder
If you are going to be traveling overland and into Mexico, etc. the Tundra is perfect. The only limitation is on really tight trails (kind of obvious).

A next gen Tundra will likely be my replacement for the Taco.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I drove my brothers Tundra off and on for around 6 months before selling it recently. They are very nice vehicles. It seems a bit larger than the UZJ100 although I don't know the actual dimensions.

The model I was driving was a 2003 2wd access cab. The trucks are fairly well put together. The 4.7 is a very nice little V8 with tons of torque. Of course the newest models have the VVTI motor with even more power and a 5spd automatic.

Gas mileage is better than I ever get in my Land Cruiser because the Tundra weighs much less. I would say between 15-18 mpg average.

I would absolutely get the V8 over the V6. I don't think the V6 will get better mileage because it will be working harder to move the weight.

You can get some adjustable front coilovers and Bilstein 5100's for a nice basic suspension upgrade to clear those 285 75r16's.

Westy

Adventurer
I'm not sure on the axle width of the tundra, but a 93-97 Landcruiser measures 63.5 on the front axle to give you a starting point.

T100 front end is at 66"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles