Considering a series 1

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
OK, crazy I know, but I am looking at an 86" as a long-term project for me and the kids.

Does anyone know if new frames and bulkheads are available for the 86"?

Not sure I would need them, just curious to know if they are out there.

I have seen lot's of them for 88s. Just not for 86s.

Cheers

Ray

bobtail4x4

Adventurer
you can buy just about anything to rebuild one, this side of the pond, new galv frames (look up chassis here,) repaired or new galv bulkheads are available too,

D110

Observer
Series 1 parts are definitely harder to come by, and if you are looking for the detail pieces they can be quite pricey compared to 2 & 3s. I have to get most of my parts from overseas. That said, you can find most anything if you don't mind paying for it.

Cheers!

Wander

Expedition Leader
I have a feeling the constant search for bit and pieces will be a big part of the fun of owning an early SI, sort of like a never ending safari so be sure to have your pith helmet close by!

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Series 1 parts are definitely harder to come by, and if you are looking for the detail pieces they can be quite pricey compared to 2 & 3s. I have to get most of my parts from overseas. That said, you can find most anything if you don't mind paying for it.

Cheers!

As my old boss used to say "since the Phoenicians invented money, anything has been possible".

D110

Observer
Congratulations! My first Rover was my Series 1 107, and she is still in my garage... I think it may still be my favorite and I am considering doing a restoration if I can find the time. If you are a Rover nut, I don't think you can beat a Series 1 for pure satisfaction - have fun!

Attachments

• IMG_0371.JPG
    IMG_0371.JPG
    606.7 KB · Views: 28

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Congratulations! My first Rover was my Series 1 107, and she is still in my garage... I think it may still be my favorite and I am considering doing a restoration if I can find the time. If you are a Rover nut, I don't think you can beat a Series 1 for pure satisfaction - have fun!

Thanks! I seem to be going backwards in time.

My first rover was a 2005 TD5 D110.
Next was a 1993 200tdi 110
Now a Series One...

Maybe subconsciously I am looking for the mechanically simplest machine to work on.

Oh, and I got it off another ExPo member.

LandyAndy

Adventurer
OK, I am the proud new owner of a Series 1.

Now I just need to figure out how to get it home.

:)

Ray

Hi Ray,

Do like I do.... one way U-Haul hire.... there are normally 3 or 4 auto transporters here in Revy, just book through the U-Haul website.

BTW, the overnight room still stands..... we have some exellent local brewed beer to sample :drool:

I've PM you my email.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Thanks Andy. I will probably pick one up in Chilliwack so I have time to test and sort out the wiring. I am assuming the Uhaul trailers have electric brakes? I'd need to wire up an appropriate plug to my 110. Right now it has the military plug and a 4 pin only.

The only U-Haul car trailer that I've ever used had surge brakes...dragged the 109 back to Iowa from VT with the Disco...not ideal, but it worked.

KAA

LandyAndy

Adventurer
I am assuming the Uhaul trailers have electric brakes?

No, all the ones I've hired are surge brake & flat 4 wiring connector. I guess it makes it simpler as not everyone has a controller fitted to their vehicle and it would make for more maintenance on the trailer too.... aka.... cost saving !

D110

Observer
Don't forget to take pictures and post them... A 110 with a Series 1 in tow sounds like a photo op.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne