2007 Tundra

Scott Brady

Founder
I wanted to start a thread to track updates on this new model:

It is rumored to be a true full-size with the availability of a 4.4L Turbo Diesel. There will be plants in Indiana and Texas capable of building up to 250,000 units per year (there are 2.5 million full size trucks sold annually in the US).

The concept vehicle
ftx1.jpg

If the vehicle has high levels of functionality and the diesel, it will likely be the replacement for my current Tacoma.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
One problem I see with that FTX is the "chop top" and the 2-story tall front end. Visibility must be awful, don't you think?

Scott Brady

Founder
I am expecting the final product to display Toyota's typical conservative styling.

There is also talk of a hybrid. I have read of a few prius models that have been modified to allow an unlimited fuel range. They use extra batteries and solar cells. Of course you would have to stop for a long time for it all to charge, but the concept is sure interesting...

My preference would still be the diesel though...

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Looks like a Ford Super Duty. At least the grill does. Yep, many will be produced down here in San Antonio.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Interesting... Before I got my second Tacoma, I wanted to move into a full size, but the Tundra looked to conservative for me. At least this new concept Tundra has some style to it, and the potential for diesel - we wait :coffee:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Toyota needs to start adding SOME style to the Tundra, or the big Nissan is going to kill it. A turbodiesel would be a brilliant addition. So would a coil rear suspension with a self-leveling device. And dual lockers.

Why they haven't imported the 3-liter four-cylinder turbodiesel for the Tacoma I'll never know. 150 horsepower, close to 300 lb/ft of torque if I remember correctly, and 30 mpg.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
I don't know about the coils in the rear for load purposes but definitely a diesel. If Nissan were ever to bring the Patrol, both cab and ute platforms, to the US, complete with the 4.2TD, things'll get really interesting.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Properly sized coils should handle loads as well as leafs (look at Unimogs, for example), especially if paired with a load leveler. The original Range Rover had the concept right. The weak link was its central leveling device, which relied on English oil seals, which as everyone here knows by now are molded from Marmite that has passed its sell-by date.

kevin

Observer
Toyota already has a rear coil system with air bag controlled ride height. It is available on the Lexus LX470. They just need to put it in the trucks!

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Wow - thanks for the link! Man, that wheelbase is lookin' kinda scary to me! :Wow1:

Attachments

• IMG_1065_M.jpg
    IMG_1065_M.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 0

lionsbreath

Adventurer
I hope it looks better then the new Tacoma I am not such a big fan of them and like the styling of my 03 better. The Jeep Liberty runs a 4cyl. turbo benz des. that make 150hp and 295ft torque something like that would be nice in a tacoma. On Top Gear last nite the drove a v8 twin turbo Des. 800 miles on 19.5gals of fuel.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I watched that also. It was amazing when the car told him he had 0 miles of fuel left and still made it almost 10 miles to his starting point. I had to say that I was very impressed that you could get an 800 mile range from a V8 with only 19 gallons of gas. Whay can't we get this stuff here? I want the Isuzu deisel for the global Troopers in my truck. :(

jim65wagon

Desertdude said:
I wanted to move into a full size, but the Tundra looked to conservative for me.

Ouch man, now you've hurt my feelings:( but I'll get over it. I really like the size the Tundra is now. Every truck on the market keeps growing and growing. I've put scratches down both sides of my Tundra simultaneously, wider would be worse. The relatively short wheelbase makes it easy to park, and with only 240HP it moves well and tows what I need. I really hope the new T isn't as big as it looks. I don't need reclining rear seats (megacab) but I do need a full sized bed to sleep in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne