TRD Supercharger Upgrades

erod

Adventurer
Hey all, I have been reading a lot about the TRD supercharger lately and what can be done to improve its performance. Seems like the fuel system is one of the most common issues I see. I bought a 4-wheel camper this summer and recently got back from a trip to CO. and the 3.4 L was doggin' a bit on the up hills. I am wondering if anyone has used the TRD 7th injection mod or URD's fuel upgrade kit (http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?products_id=1230100017). Seems like the fuel upgrade kit may be the way to go since you actually replace the injectors, which are apparently at the root of the problem. I do like the idea of staying with TRD though...what do you guys think? Any one using either of these units or maybe something I don't know about...for over $1000 each, these aren't cheap but seems like from what I have read, people are really happy with the upgrade...as always, thanks to all! Cheers!

LAW

Adventurer
i have the new URD 7th injector on my rig (def. the way to go), same concept of the TRD kit but it is fully adjustable as far as the timing and fuel go..

i would also recommend the URD AFR calibrator (richens the closed loop while in mild boost) helps with some of the pinging

with that you would also need a OBD scantool, wideband AFR sensor, and an exhaust gas temperature gauge if you are towing..

erod

Adventurer
URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit

the URD 3.4L 5VZ-FE Toyota Truck Supercharger Fuel Upgrade Kit was previously installed on the truck (lucky me!)...found the paper work...again! didn't think too much of it when i bought the truck then started reading about supercharger issues. anyway, contacted URD, sure enough, it was ordered by the previous owner...have the reciept. also explains the split second fuel calibration computer in the glove box...duh. stoked i already have it, need to figure out the tuning process though to make sure its dialed in correctly. update as i make progress...thanks for the advice!

Clutch

<---Pass
Slightly off subject...erod, how are you liking the camper....does it feel cramped compared to the 'Nest...or is fine?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Interesting that the fuel curve under boost is still an issue. My friend Rod Michael's T-100 was the Prototype test truck for the kit sold by TRD which was developed by Magnusson. They did a lot of work on the truck in getting that kit sorted out.

Clutch

<---Pass
You know what it probably is...? More wind drag with the FWC than the Wildernest. You could get an air deflector like a Thule or Yakama, to help push the air up and over the camper.

slooowr6

Explorer
erod,
So you have the S/C in the truck on you trip to CO, right? Did you get it tuned? TRD just released S/C for the 4.0 V6. I'm thinking about it, the 4.0 V6 with ATC is suffering on the mountain as well.

Alex

erod

Adventurer
kermit, the camper is awesome...miss the WN though :) sometimes but with winter on the way i wouldn't trade the 4wc back for anything! back to the trd super charger issue...i didn't get it tuned, the truck is running great and with the recent move/etc. haven't had that much time to deal with it.

"So you have the S/C in the truck on you trip to CO, right? Did you get it tuned? TRD just released S/C for the 4.0 V6. I'm thinking about it, the 4.0 V6 with ATC is suffering on the mountain as well."

alex, where do you get these tuned in co. i am down there a lot and that is an option for sure. the 3.4 doesn't even notice the camper, a little on big hills but a quick shift to 4th and forget about it!

kermit, i have thought about a faring like you mentioned...they aren't cheap though...new tower, bar, faring, etc. keeping my eyes open for a new one...wonder how well they work? cheers!

slooowr6

Explorer
alex, where do you get these tuned in co. i am down there a lot and that is an option for sure. the 3.4 doesn't even notice the camper, a little on big hills but a quick shift to 4th and forget about it!

I'm in CA :)
Do you know what's you mpg now?
kermit, i have thought about a faring like you mentioned...they aren't cheap though...new tower, bar, faring, etc. keeping my eyes open for a new one...wonder how well they work? cheers!
I've Thule fairing on my truck for the camper, it quiet down the wind noise some what but I'm not sure if it help with mpg. On my 2000mile trip to Yellowstone average out to about 18mpg. I can take a pic of it if you want.

erod

Adventurer
slooowr6 said:
I'm in CA :)
Do you know what's you mpg now?

I've Thule fairing on my truck for the camper, it quiet down the wind noise some what but I'm not sure if it help with mpg. On my 2000mile trip to Yellowstone average out to about 18mpg. I can take a pic of it if you want.

was getting 15-20 on our recent trip. i would like to see a pic of that faring if you get a chance. thanks!

slooowr6

Explorer
Not the best quality, pic from my cell.
204355816-L.jpg

204355825-L.jpg

204355804-L.jpg

It reduces the bug splash between the truck and the camper.

erod

Adventurer
nice, thanks for those! it looks pretty cool...that bug splash is a PITA to get clean...i'll have to keep my eyes open for one used. thanks again! anything new with the rig? i have been keeping an eye on your build up thread...are you diggin' the atc?

slooowr6

Explorer
Nothing new added except got USASpec aux input for my XM. Waiting for the parts for rear leaf spring TSB to come in, eta. is mid Nov. :(
After I get the spring done. I'm replacing AirLift with Firestone. Still debating to go with 255/85 or 265/75.

ATC is pretty good I like the idea of having a hard shell to get out of the elements at night or in rain/cold. I feel ATC is as good as a light weight truck camper can be without going to full custom. I do hope it's lighter. My ATC is 800lbs dry. I think the most efficient way to set up a exp vehicle is van based. I can't use the cabin space once I get into the camper where in my VW vanagon the cabin is still usable in camping setup. Long distance travel in Taco is 100% better than my VW vanagon though.

erod

Adventurer
slooowr6, you have one sweet rig, i'd love to see some more pics of the camper/popped/interior/etc....those atc's are awesome! ben and marty seem like great guys and i may have them do some work on my fwc in the future. cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles