Trooper CV boots

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Bith of my cv boots on my 98 Trooper are torn :confused: . How difficult are these to replace by ones self? Or am I better off taking it to shop to have done? I am not very mechanically inclined, but I am willing to give it a try if it is not too difficult. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Brady

Founder
It is not too challenging, but really depends on your experience. If you would feel comfortable doing a brake job (remove rotors, etc.), then you will be fine with the boot replacement. The most important thing to remember is to drain the oil from the diff before removing the axles... (dont ask how I know that :smilies27 )

This article will be a BIG help, and give you an idea of the process

Best of luck :D

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I changed out all 4 boots on a Rodeo (not sure if it is the same front suspension set up or not) in just over 1.5 hours. I never pulled the inner CV joints out of the diff, as they were giving me some grief. So I left them in, just removing the outer half of the inner joint, shaft, and outer joint. This made it a little more difficult to clean and reassemble the inner joint, but it seemed easier than fighting with them.

The girl who owned to Rodeo was quoted $900 to change all 4 boots....that is $600 per hour for labor (based on how long it took me)! I certainly don't think it was *THAT* difficult of a job. Parts cost me just over $50 at the local Car Quest.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I checked the inner boots and they seemed pretty good, but both of the outer boots are torn in half. Luckily they are not spewing or spraying grease all over the place. I am not all that handy when it comes to auto repairs and work, however I would like to learn and if it is a fairly simple and staight forward process I'm sure I can do it. I have done brake work before, as well as replaced the alternator on my previous rodeo, but that pretty much is the extent of my experience. Another question I have while on the subject, would this be a good time time to do the ball joint flip? Or should I wait until I start the suspension mods? Thanks for the help :ylsmoke: .

Attachments

• 2109.jpg
    2109.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1

kevin

Observer
Once you do the ball joint flip your (toe in ) on the front end alignment will be off. It would be better to do the flip when you do the suspension. Once all suspension modifications are done you will need a alignment.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
datrupr said:
.... I have done brake work before, as well as replaced the alternator on my previous rodeo, but that pretty much is the extent of my experience.

I am not really the person to ask about mechanical abilities, my opinions on the matter are *slightly* skewed. Personally, I consider the CV boots to be a no brainer. I also consider engine rebuilds a pain in the butt, but relatively simple (unbolt, take out old parts, put in new parts, reassemble)...gear setups? Moderate difficulty....at the worst.

So, can the boots be done with relatively little mechanical experience? Probably...but again, I'm not the best judge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles