low-profile load bars for XJ RTT

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I'm planning on installing an RTT on my Jeep Cherokee, but first I need some load bars for my roof. Leaning toward the Thule 300 gutter mount, but these bars are taller than I'd like. Would like the tent to be as close to the roof as possible.

Does anyone know of a sturdy, low-profile alternative?

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Unless you've already purchased the square Thule load bars, you might like the low profile of Yakima's Q clips better than the Thule 300's. The Q clips are available for vehicles with and without gutters -

Y-Qtower-fin.gif

TeleScooby

Adventurer
Yakima in general tends to be lower profile then Thule...how are you going to be attaching the load bars to the roof? Gutters, rails, bolt on some tracks, etc...?

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
kcowyo said:
Unless you've already purchased the square Thule load bars, you might like the low profile of Yakima's Q clips better than the Thule 300's. The Q clips are available for vehicles with and without gutters -

Thanks, KC. Thule products are readily available to me through work, which makes that particular brand ultra-convenient - but I will certainly consider Yakima. Not sure if we deal with them or not.

As a matter of fact, I just tried on the Thule gutter mount, and its only a little taller than the factory bars. Not quite as bad as I envisioned, but I'd still like to try to bring it down. That's alot of weight on my roof - the lower it is, the better.

TeleScooby said:
Yakima in general tends to be lower profile then Thule...how are you going to be attaching the load bars to the roof? Gutters, rails, bolt on some tracks, etc...?

Leaning toward gutters, as I think such a setup would be moderately stronger on a Cherokee, but I'm not particular. In fact, I'd definately prefer the clean look of the factory rails.

TeleScooby

Adventurer
Yakima gutter mounts are definately the way to go then, far lower profile than Thule, and more then strong enough for a tent...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles