The 1 Year Build up is Complete!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Project "1 year buildup" has been completed (yeah right!!)

I have owned Jeeps and Toyotas my entire life. Some of you may know me as SOCALXJ. I really loved camping and enjoyed getting away from the city and that sort of thing for quite some time.. but I was really getting burned out with the whole rock crawling scene. I had enough 42" swampers on dana 60's for one lifetime, if you know what i mean. So i decided i wanted to build an expedition rig. I wanted to build something that would be extremely reliable, wouldn't get too far away from stock if we needed parts and something that was super comfy for long hauls. That's where it started. After researching between various makes and models.. we bought the cruiser last year on July 16th. We drove up from SoCal to Sacramento to get it. It was well worth the drive. The PO was off the mud board here and the rig had been well maintained and never been in the dirt. It pretty much lived a pampered lifestyle. I advised the PO that this will change immediately! I was buying the rig strictly for a expedition/overland rig. So the rig (needless to say) made the 600 mile trip home without a problem, just like we knew it would. After all, if what we were buying it for.. if it didn't make it home then it wouldn't make a very good platform now would it? Shortly after getting it home, the mods started taking place. And of course, yep the running boards were off in a matter of days. Here's what we did in 12 months to our rig along with some pics. All along the build process we have been out on trips each month, sometimes even twice. Our first year with the cruiser has been a absolute dream and we can't say enough about how well this board has influenced that. There's a huge wealth of knowledge here and we want to thank everyone for that. Ok, off with the specs and pics, enough talking.

1993 Factory E-locked front and rear FZJ80

Specs:

ARB Bullbar Winch Bumper
Kaymar Rear bumper w/dual swingouts
(tire carrier,gerry can holder and c02 tank mount, telescoping worklamp, hi-lift mount)
"Landcruisercrap.com" Bottle opener
INTI roof rack with ladder and 35 gallons of NATO can storage
Mombasa Expedition Roof Top Tent with Changing Room
Hankook Dynapro 295/75R16 MT R103
Cobra 18 WX ST II CB Radio
Panasonic Head Unit
Wilson 1000 Antenna
Wildyoats Limb Riser cables
HELLA lighting
Old Man EMU 2" Super Heavy lift 850's upfront and 864's outback
Old Man EMU caster correction bushings
Pro Comp ES4000 shocks
Warn M12000 Winch
Safari Snorkel
Dual Batteries
ARB Fridge
PowerTank
Slee Offroad Sliders
12 volt cigarette outlets front/rear
Blue Seas Distribution Center
OEM Hand Throttle
OEM Center Diff Lock Switch
African Outback drawer system
Cruisecam Video Camera Mount
Georges LED Dome Lights
Georges LED Map Light
VisionX 6500 HID lighting
HELLA FF Ultra worklamp
ARB Fender Brush Bars
Small Inverter for laptop/cellphones
Fiamma Awning
HELLA super tone horns
Long Range Automotive 24 gal. Aux Fuel Tank
MAF Rear Coil Spacers
Slee Offroad Coil Spacers
Lowrance 540c GPS
Yaesu 1802M 2 meter

And of course 2 drawers full of recovery gear and tools.

How it started. Stock.
2446673610034696539pzrjcr9.jpg

2262851680034696539oorppw6.jpg

After working many many weekends on the rig, here's how it ended a year later.
cimg1473ar6.jpg

cimg1482rq5.jpg

Our 80 series is the "Rig of the Week" over on the mud board as a celebration :)
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=166446

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
DaveInDenver said:
Holy !@#$, all in a year. That's a ton of work, you are one dedicated son of a gun.

I have a very understanding other half that lets me wrench on the rig once a week for the past 12 months straight just about. Im lucky.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Lookin' good! I still see that the stock Toy' Oh-$hit bar is missing on the passenger side dash? I think you've mod'ded everything else :)

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
SOCALFJ said:
I have a very understanding other half that lets me wrench on the rig once a week for the past 12 months straight just about. Im lucky.
LOL! I've gotten about 20% of that stuff done in 7 years (which makes me about 3% as productive as you) and I spend a lot of time in the garage to boot!

Nice work.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I like it but it's missing something....something....something....:peepwall:

It's a great build Dave. I think you did your research well and put it together with some quality parts from top notch manufacturers. And you're getting out and using it too, despite the poser shots in the driveway.

It's been fun to watch this build and your trips. But no one is buying that you're done now....;)

WJinTRSC

Adventurer
Very Nice Rig!!!! I think you set a precedence with your Vehicle for many of us to look to as a guide of what to do next with our own vehicles. I know I certainly saw it that way. Congratulations, but I also think you are getting ahead of yourself to even hint at the word "complete". They never really are. Yours is just closer than most. Congratulations again!

gillti

Adventurer
So Awesome!! Can't wait until mine catches up. I'll call you in 5 years!!!!!

Truly though, I dig what you have done and the research you put into building this rig. Very capable, very good looking and very reliable. Excellent job!!:clapsmile :clapsmile :clapsmile

CaliCruiser

Adventurer
Dude this is one of the sickest 80's around! Lemme know if you ever hit up NorCal, we'll treat ya right.

. . . and I know you didn't build it with a credit card ;)

Dylan

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
Hats off to your effort! I've enjoyed watching your build and especialy the documentation of how and why you are installing a certain system or part. Very well thought out! :victory:

On the down side you are squarely to blame for my ever increasing list of, "Must do Mods"! :Mechanic:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
One year build up!

SOCALFJ said:
Project "1 year buildup" has been completed (yeah right!!)

Wow! I was always under the impression that you had been working on you rig for quite some time. I guess that you have been taking some lessons from the mod frenzy king, Mr. Brady! You have one well built 80, I wish you many years of exploring with it Job well done! :wings:

Cheers :beer:,
P

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I hate you. :(

Seriously, that is one awesome looking rig. I get tired of seeing all the rock buggies and vehicles with 37" tires and cut out panels where they spend all day just trying to go 500 yards. Fun is where you find it, I suppose, but those rigs have never really done anything for me.

But seriously, if I had unlimited time and unlimited money, that's pretty much exactly what my rig would look like. Amazing that you've done it in a year.

So the million $$ question is: Where are you going to take it? And when do we get to vicariously enjoy your travels through photos? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior