Using 4-Hi vs. 4-Lo

CLynn85

Explorer
Since there's a few discussion threads goin on, figured this would be a good one. When you know you're going to be in a steep, rough area, do you automatically pop it in 4Lo, or do you try it in two and yank it back into 4hi if you need to, and then if all else fails punch it in 4lo, or what?

I know with the Jeep you often times have to roll a little bit to get it in 4Lo, so if there's any doubt of thick mud I'll usually stop, neutral, 4Lo, then go on my merry way until I'm back in the clear.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I will usually put it in 4 hi before I might need it, and the same goes for 4 lo. I would rather have it and not need than need it and have it be too late. If you know what I mean?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I usually assess the situation continueously along the trail. If I feel I need low range for a certain obstacle, I stop and drop down. If the trail smooths out and my speed increases, I come back up to high range. Same thing between 2hi and 4 hi. I rarely try an obstacle in a gear that I am unsure of....if I think there is much chance of losing traction and having to back off of a obstacle, I won't try it in that gear, I drop down to what I feel is appropriate before proceeding. It is easier on the vehicle and the enviroment if no tire loses traction. You can blast down a muddy trail in 2 wheel drive, with the back end sliding around, tires spinning, throwing mud everywhere....but it just isn't good for the trail. Better to shift into 4 wheel drive, keep tire spin to a minimum, and keep trail damage (ruts) to a minimum.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

When I pull off the road onto dirt.......I get out and lock my hubs.

No 4x4 yet while on a simple forest service road which is flat and easy.

Once I'm out on rougher trails I pop into 4x4 High.

I stay in 4x4 High even going uphill as long as I can do it at speed. (not speeding, just moving right along).

When I come upon a steeper hill.....rough....with rocks....dips....ruts.....etc. and I know I will want to take this slow anyway, and need more traction.......Now I go down into 4x4 Low.

My 4x4 Low is very low and I must go slow with it in there anyway. So I save it for the steep slow/in need of more traction stuff.

When back to the flat, easy stuff.....back into 4x4 High.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
More and more I find myself using 4low on decents even if I used 4high during the climb. Some easy moderate type roads that can be done just fine in 4high while going up are just as moderate going back down the other side but I will use 4low and let the engine do its thing rathere than riding the break a bunch.

Scott Brady

Founder
With my Trooper, I go into 4Low once I hit the two track (uninproved dirt roads). The Trooper has a pretty tall low-range, which allows decent speeds, even up to 30 mph sustained.

For the Tacoma and Jeep, it kind of depends, as both of these vehicles are geared very low. I really cant drive faster than about 15 mph in either vehicle while in low-range (5.29 gears in the Tacoma and 4.88 gears in the Jeep). So, if the trail is in the 2.0 range, I just leave it in 4HI, but it the grades become steep, I shift into 4LO to make life easier on the transmission (temp wise). As soon as the trail becomes rocky, loose or soft I shift into 4LO.

CLynn85

Explorer
I just always feel like I'm moving the TCase Lever around a lot. The terrain where I wheel changes a lot though from smooth packed surfaces to rocky climbs to mud and back smooth though.

Other part of the question I forgot to ask is if you have an auto, do you usually pull it down into 1st and leave it when in 2hih and 4hi unless you're on a smooth road, what about when you're in 4lo?

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I use 4LO as much as possible and switch from 1, 2, D for slightly faster sections. I think it is easier on the engine

If the speed gets up above 3-3,5K rpms sustained then I will change into 4hi

S

Scenic WonderRunner

mcvickoffroad said:
More and more I find myself using 4low on decents even if I used 4high during the climb. Some easy moderate type roads that can be done just fine in 4high while going up are just as moderate going back down the other side but I will use 4low and let the engine do its thing rathere than riding the break a bunch.

Brian,

I agree with you on using 4Lo on the downhill (forgot to mention that). Great point! I do this a lot. I feel like I have much more control using the engine to slow me down. It helps keep my speed down and steady the truck.

If just using brakes on a downhill, one could tend to not pay attention and let their speed get up, then quick braking at speed can loose traction, etc.....and this can send you in a direction you did not intend to go because of the momentum of the vehicle.

Westy

Adventurer
Of course it all depends on the trail, but generally speaking I will run 2 wheel drive until the trail starts to get rocky and speeds need to be decreased, at this point I will throw it in 2LO - the first hill loose hill climb or obstackle I encounter then I switch it into 4LO. Less spinning tires = better tire wear and tread lightly is always a good thing as well.

Wanderlusty

Explorer
I am kinda like CLynn85, because the terrain around here varies so much.

I have a Jeep, so I rarely use 4-Lo. Usually only on steep climbs and what not.

4 high covers about everything else, but there have been entire trips off road that I have never even left 2WD.

The only downside to shifting so often is forgetting what gear you are in. We went down this one dead end road, and camped for the night. On the way in, there is a fair sized mud pit right in the middle of the road. For whatever reason, when we camped for the night, I shifted it back into 2. So the next morning, we took off, and sure enough, I hit the mud pit and was totally sideways in an instant. Came pretty close to hitting a tree, and also was a little bit in danger of flipping the thing.

Suffice to say, I payed a bit closer attention the rest of the trip...

Justin

Observer
Scenic WonderRunner said:
Brian,

I agree with you on using 4Lo on the downhill (forgot to mention that). Great point! I do this a lot. I feel like I have much more control using the engine to slow me down. It helps keep my speed down and steady the truck.

If just using brakes on a downhill, one could tend to not pay attention and let their speed get up, then quick braking at speed can loose traction, etc.....and this can send you in a direction you did not intend to go because of the momentum of the vehicle.
I take the same stance on this issue. I like the control of 4Low on descents. As braking is not equally shared amongst the front and back wheels, and of course the lovely anti-lock...4Low just seems the logical choice.

As it relates to going uphill, I usually choose 4Low more often than not. Due to the fact that I drive a 5spd, I try to use the clutch as little as often and going up any partially steep hill, it's less work for me and my clutch if I just put it in 4Low and creep. It's also a comfort thing knowing the likelyhood of damage decreases as my speed decreases.

UncleChris

Adventurer
More and more I am starting to be more aware of my speed. When I get onto iffy washboard, I definitely go into 4wd.

If there are significant rocks in the trail that could cause tire damage, I definitely kick into 4lo.

More importantly, I am starting to actually put the tranny into a specific gear(auto) to control my speed. I used to just put it into D and go to town, controlling my speed with the brake. Now, if I am hitting a significant downhill, I will kick into 4lo + 1st gear to control my speed, 2nd if it is a little less gradual.

South of the Lahontan resevoir, I was running the trail in 4hiD. After a few ruts woke me up(with the attendant cringe), I put it in 2nd to control my speed. This gives you more time to prep for the terrain, and more importantly, has you OFF THE BRAKES so that the suspension can do what it is paid for.

Speed control is your trucks friend!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz