Project: little Tacoma

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
This is purely a side project off of my expedition rig in-the-works. I hope to take my stock TRD suspension (front coilovers, rear leafs & shocks), and put them on a friend's base-model 2WD Tacoma. He's wanting to simply lift it in order to fit bigger tires. I belive it's an '02 -- the really tiny single cab model.

In all research I've done on the net, I haven't come across anybody trying to do this. Do any of you know if this is even possible? After I remove my suspension (for the lift) this weekend, I will be able to take some measurements to see if it will all fit on his truck. I believe that most '96-'04 Tacoma trucks use very similarly sized parts. But going from a 2004 4WD TRD to a 2002 2WD little Tacoma -- does anyone foresee any huge issues?
Thanks!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
tacozona said:
This is purely a side project off of my expedition rig in-the-works. I hope to take my stock TRD suspension (front coilovers, rear leafs & shocks), and put them on a friend's base-model 2WD Tacoma. He's wanting to simply lift it in order to fit bigger tires. I belive it's an '02 -- the really tiny single cab model.

In all research I've done on the net, I haven't come across anybody trying to do this. Do any of you know if this is even possible? After I remove my suspension (for the lift) this weekend, I will be able to take some measurements to see if it will all fit on his truck. I believe that most '96-'04 Tacoma trucks use very similarly sized parts. But going from a 2004 4WD TRD to a 2002 2WD little Tacoma -- does anyone foresee any huge issues?
Thanks!

I seem to recall reading that this will not work on TTORA... might want to ask over there...

Wil

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
The front suspension is completely different and the parts off the 4wd and Prerunner will not fit the weaker 5 lug 2wd Tacos.

Sorry to disappoint you:(

There are some spindle kits for the 5 lub 2wd Tacos but they are inherently weaker and not suitable to moderate abuse.

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
Bummer. That's what I was afraid of. I've done some more research, and it looks like the front suspension on those 2wd 5 lug Tacomas are completely different than the 4WD/Prerunner Tacomas. And I've heard that the TRD conversion kits are rather pricey. I'm still not sure if the rear suspensions are similar. I can't tell if the leaf springs are narrower. If that's the case, one would have to weld on new perches, and it might be more work than it's worth.

But it's better to find this out now, instead of when his truck is up on jack-stands! Since he can't use my old suspension parts, I told him to check out Fabtech or some other similar lift kits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles