New Guy

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Just wanted to say hi! I was just lurking and was really impressed with the site. The thing that really made me want to register was a comment made by I think Maddbaggins. The ih8mud lemmings comment. Don't get me wrong, I have learned a lot over there and will continue to hang out there, but like he said, if you suggest anything outside of the norm, you are treated like a leper. Hope to be able to do some trips with you guys.:victory:

Later,
Jack

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Jack, welcome. If you have been lurking for a while then you know what this site is all about. Please tell us more about yourself and if you can please share some pics of your rigs. What have you done with your LX? Again, welcome.:victory:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Welcome, Jack! :wavey:

It's a great forum!

I've been at mud on & off for a while, but was disillusioned with some "attitude" I sensed over there at times. :shakin: I guess one might expect that.

In any case, I had the pleasure of meeting a number of the members at the Fall Rally...had a great time on my first ever group event! :luxhello:

Hope to see you around!
Ed :D

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the welcome.

I have been into what I would consider wheeling for about the last 14 years or so. I started out taking a 2wd Mazda places it shouldn't have been. I picked up a 78 chevy stepside 4wd and had a great time with it just doing the local stuff with 31's. I decided that it was time to get the Jeep that I had wanted since I was 16.

Traded the chevy in on a 90 wrangler. I was initially disappointed with it. The lawyers got rid of any suspension travel. Started with lifting it 2.5 inches and putting 32's on it, put a lockright in the rear axle and it was game on. Did a lot of Northern Nevada desert week long trips, snow wheeling, Rubicon and any other dirt road/goat trail that I could find. Decided that it needed to be bigger, so on went the 4 inch lift and 33's, plus a new Currie built D44 with gears and ARB's front and rear and a 4 to 1 in the t-case. The rockcrawling bug had hit big time. Decided it needed to be bigger, so SOA time and 35's. Was still doing rocks, Rubicon, Fordyce, Moab and driving it all over the desert. Had a brain fart and decided to sell it (big mistake) because I thought I wanted something with more room.

I picked up an 88 4runner v6 with low miles and was just going to drive it. Did a huge week long trip all over north eastern Nevada and was pretty happy. It had a common problem that the early r150's had and would pop out of 1st sometimes on take off. Figured get it rebuilt and put a new clutch in it. Well while the tranny was out, the plasma cutter also came out. Next thing I know, it's got a straight axle in it with a fj80 front third, dual cases, ARB's front and rear, 35's, plus alot of other things. Never really liked it in the desert after that. Worked awesome in the rocks, did Rubicon, Fordyce, Moab and Johnson Valley. Never was as reliable as the Jeep (I know everyone has a problem believing that). Got tired of rockcrawling and sold it.

That lasted a little over a year, bought some sport quads and had a blast, but the exploration bug was biting big time, so I sold those. I had seriously looked at FZJ80's a couple of years ago and felt that it was the next vehicle for me. Then my buddy, Ali bought one and that didn't help the desire. So once everything fell into place the hunt began. I took a couple of months and I finally found one about two months ago. It's a 97 LX 450 that had 97k miles on it with the factory lockers. The PO had installed the CDL switch and did the 7 pin mod and just maintained it. I picked it up and installed some Yokohama Geolander AT 285's on it. I put the Mr. Gasket spacers in the front and the MAF 30mm spacers in the rear, pulled the running boards and mud flaps off and that's where it's at now. I still have to rebuild the front axle and repack the rear bearings. But pretty much loving it.

Can not wait for the weather to clear and then it's time to go see what is down the next road or over the next hill. I have a tendancy to take anything I own off of the beaten path. My wife's MX6 has been over the Lost Coast road in Northern CA and my goldwing has seen some dirt miles getting to fire watch towers in the Sierra's.

Oh and I pretty much suck at the computer thing, so I'm not sure how to attach photos.

Whew! Sorry for the long post.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Congratulations Jack! Need some pictures.....:arabia:

Attachments

• FLEXING 002.jpg
    FLEXING 002.jpg
    812.4 KB · Views: 59
  • el golfo, ebay 031.jpg
    el golfo, ebay 031.jpg
    916.5 KB · Views: 48

blupaddler

Conspirator
Jack,

Welcome to the forum! The 80's are GREAT! Mine has 155k miles on it now, and has been beaten, abused, and still keeps kickin'.

Also, you are lucky to get the Lexus rims. I like those much better than the "regular" LC rims. Oh, well.

Once again, WELCOME!!!

Scott Brady

Founder
Jack,

Welcome to the forum! :camping:

I think you have gone through the same process as many of us have. Followed the crawling phase for a while, and got tires of spending so much time working on the vehicles instead of driving them.

Now you own one of the greatest exploration platforms ever imported to the US.

Looking forward to seeing you on the trail :elkgrin:

Justin

Observer
locrwln said:
Just wanted to say hi! I was just lurking and was really impressed with the site. The thing that really made me want to register was a comment made by I think Maddbaggins. The ih8mud lemmings comment. Don't get me wrong, I have learned a lot over there and will continue to hang out there, but like he said, if you suggest anything outside of the norm, you are treated like a leper. Hope to be able to do some trips with you guys.:victory: Later,Jack
Interesting you mentioned the outside of the norm comment, I made my way here for similar reasons. In addition to the fact that a forum of like minded individuals exsists where absolutley no flaming takes place, there is a lot of usefull information that you will most likely enjoy reading.

I really like your style LC, please post some pictures. I love Land Cruisers old and new and hope to one day aquire one for project purposes. Welcome to the forum!
Justin

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thanks again for the welcome. Like I said earlier, I'm lucky I can get on here and write. I have no idea how to post pictures, I searched the FAQ and found nothing. The only pictures I have of the LX is after tires/spacers and a quick snow run. Nothing earth shattering. Most of my old stuff was print/35mm.

As it get's closer, I will be doing a three day run into the Black Rock Desert/High Rock Canyon in May. It will be a Sat/Sun/Mon thing. I am thinking 05/20-23/06. This will be easy stock rig stuff, but very cool none the less.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
That sounds like a fantastic trip. Don't hesitate to post it in the "upcoming" trips section if you want to invite others.

On the pictures, just look below the text editing box when you post, and you should see a section titled "Additional Options" (you will likely have to scroll your computer screen to see it). There you should see a button that says "Manage Attachments". Just click on that, and you can browse your computer for the files, and attach them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94